PDA

View Full Version : another Bay bargain

RCSignals
02-18-2003, 05:18 PM
Who would fall for this? :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3000204536&category=14935

03 Merc
02-18-2003, 06:07 PM
I love it! I thought that was just a Hotlanta thing... Right up there with "Crown" air freshners in rear window in popularity.. A LEO I target shoot with said that is sure ticket if he pulls somebody with it..:P

Logan
02-18-2003, 06:47 PM
Hey Sarge! Comments? :D

nomad
02-18-2003, 06:52 PM
Darn it, they sold it!:rolleyes:

CRUZTAKER
02-18-2003, 07:23 PM
I personally think the 'badge-in-wallet' method works best.
The father-in-law is a detective. Worked for him.........

LincMercLover
02-18-2003, 07:51 PM
OMG, whoever bought that's a moron! That's right up there with a Type R sticker giving 26HP!

"With this you can do 110, and the cops won't even bother with you!"

I garuntee, that dudes going to jail first time he gets pulled over...

Macon Marauder
02-19-2003, 09:21 AM
Both of my brothers are LEOs - or LawDawgs as I affectionately call them - and they have these blue line stickers on their personal vehicles.

In fact, everone in our family has them. Not to prevent a ticket, but just to show our support.

SergntMac
02-19-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Logan
Hey Sarge! Comments? :D

The color pattern here, is a mourning band, which is displayed over a LEOs badge in memory for a lost officer. I've not seen this pattern replicated anywhere before, as some kind of "universal" secret handshake kind of thingy. To suggest that seems just plain silly, let me tell you why.

Some cops do "decorate" their cars with things like FOP license plate frames, or member badges on the bumper/trunk lid. Here in Chicago, we wear checkered hat bands in uniform, and once in a while, I'll see that d***** from the mirror. Does this work? Not at all.

Any real cop will tell you, that dressing up the private vehicle is usually avoided. We're already targets 8 hours a day, why be one off duty, and why expose family to that? It's mostly not done, and when it's seen, we usually presume just the opposite, that it's a "star chaser" or wannabe. The heavier the decorations, the more likely a fraud, and we'll be looking for other stuff, like guns and drugs, outstanding warrants and so on. Also, in Illinois, the actual FOP and IPA badges that say member, are protected by law. Criminal charges, heavy fines and vehicle seizure can occur, if the owner is not a sworn full time LEO. Those arrrests are usually applauded by co-workers, much like bagging a good size Bass on vacation.

This illusion of implied favoritism based on decals and fender badges is just that, the public's illusion. I've never waived off a violation or not made a stop due to this junk, because it's more likely that I'll end up with a decent arrest, than a real cop. The only thing that counts on a traffic stop, is the real badge and ID card in your pocket.

Believe me or not, real cops don't get stopped often, we pride ourselves in good driving habits, safety, courtesy and and a fear of embarrassment among fellow officers. But, there is always one, we know that too.

The next time you see a retired PI slipping down the highway over the limit, or, any car dressed up that says "I'm a cop," you may think "there goes another one," and I'm willing to bet you would be wrong.

Moreover, every so often, us big city cops go through a period of "burglary to auto" by the newest generation of gang bangers. They target our personal vehicles and break in looking for off duty guns and safety vests. Lots of cops carry their equipment to work in their personal cars, and sometimes they get hit. But, it's another reason not to decorate the car, that's just a neon sign.

Let the public enjoy their illusions, I think it's funny, and this E-bayer made a few coins of them. America...Where what you see, usually isn't.

Macon Marauder
02-19-2003, 11:53 AM
OK - not to disagree with Sarge - but...

The thing on ebay was a blue line sticker: a simple blue line on a black background. It represents the "Thin Blue Line." That's what cops are: the line between civilization and chaos, or between "us" and the bad guys. Comes from a famous book title I think.

I can't speak for Chicago, but you see these a lot in the southeast. It means nothing more than "I'm proud to be a cop" or "Cop in the family" or "I'm proud to support cops." Supposed to only be sold to people with badges and used by them and family. Though probably not agressively enforced - and easily copied.

And I usually see a black band on a badge or sleeve to represent mourning.

You also see red line stickers for fire fighters and supporters. Same deal - different profession.

But if anybody thinks that a sticker is gonna keep them from getting a ticket then I pity the poor fool!

SergntMac
02-19-2003, 12:33 PM
No disagreement taken Macon, different regions, different customs? The "thin blue line" over the badge, is our custom these days, same train of thought, I suppose.

O's Fan Rich
02-19-2003, 12:35 PM
My Grandfather (paternal) was a Captain in the Baltimore County PD when he died of a heart attack on duty. He was 54. When my grandmother died, she left me her La Sabre. It was not worth restoring. When I cleaned it out, I got a big brass star that had the Balt County PD logo stamped on it and was designed to attach to the license plate area. I remember her saying how that saved her from a few tickets.
I polished up to a very hi luster and gave it to Dad. He has it displayed in his office.
I also know where Dad keeps Granddads night stick, black jack and brass knuckles. Ahhh, those were the days!!!

BigMerc
02-19-2003, 12:56 PM
Well the sarge is right on again, He is up North but down South here, I have never seen anything close to that and never heard of the idea that the sticker prevents tickets or even being stopped. I have stopped officers or their wives, until I see the badge in the wallet nothing else means anything. Down here METAL only FOP badges are only given to Officers, now if I might get a clue but if I saw that but nothing else, and that blue line is kinda fat ...hmm is that a stereotype slap??

jefferson-mo
02-19-2003, 07:27 PM
more ebay.......................... ........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2404276515&category=33731

BENT??????????????

Beadhead
02-19-2003, 07:44 PM
Very interestng reading, from a Canadian (home of the MM) perspective. Am freinds of some Canadaian LEO's and the perspective here is somewhat different - there doesn't seem to be such a large gulf between citizen and LEO. Aroound here, an LEO is considerred a respected career, much like a teacher, helath care worker, civil servant, etc.

nomad
02-19-2003, 07:47 PM
Hmm, 300 bucks, only a "little bent"? Is that like only a "little pregnant"?

jgc61sr2002
02-20-2003, 06:15 AM
Big Merc How about some professional courtesy. John