PDA

View Full Version : Dark mode

LightningVic
02-19-2003, 08:33 AM
Hey guys, I have the instructions for how to turn on dark mode, but I cant seem to find the "single blue pole connector" at the edge of the carpet. Anybody done dark mode to their MM yet? any help or pictures would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Blake Stewart

LincMercLover
02-19-2003, 08:35 AM
Umm... What, pray tell, IS dark mode?

I'll take a look in the wiring diagrams for ya this afternoon when I get home though.

LightningVic
02-19-2003, 08:40 AM
dark mode is a lighting mode where you can open your doors without the domelight coming on, but if you want it on you can turn it on. I just am tired of people seeing me get in and out of my car at nights. All crown vics, and mercury marquis, and supposedly all marauders ok howabout all panthers are supposed to come with it, but it involves changing a ground by plugging 2 connectors into themselves. There are rightups on it on the net, I have one printed out, but I am having trouble finding something called a blue pole connector

LincMercLover
02-19-2003, 08:42 AM
Hmm... ok. Handy when robbing the near-by 7-11 I suppose... ;)

I'll take a look later on today and tell you if I see anything.

LightningVic
02-19-2003, 08:46 AM
thanks man I appreciate it. Robbing a 7-11, or just looking really really suspicious. Hey man its my batmobile, you should see what I do when people speed. I love driving a black crown vic with blacked out chrome :)

Bigdogjim
02-19-2003, 01:14 PM
LightningVic: That's not a bad idea. It not just for "crooks" (hehehe). let me know if you find out how to do it.
Big Dog

LincMercLover
02-19-2003, 04:11 PM
OK, here's the description:

The dark car feature is a special order option that offers deletion of the illuminated entry function on police vehicles.

Upon vehicle power-up, the LCM will monitor the dark car input signal for a ground condition of longer than two seconds. If the ground is present, no interior lighting will be provided during entry or exit of the vehicle. The interior lighting will, however, still operate on demand whenever the dome lamp switch is depressed.

A ground will be provided to the LCM by an on-line connector within the unique police 14401 instrument panel harness. The male terminal side connector will be retained on a portable clip and the female terminal connector will be tear-taped to a bundle. If the dark car feature is necessary, the connection will be made on the assembly line. If no connection is made the default state of the LCM will be to provide illuminated entry.

The vehicle can be reconfigured by removing the power to the module, changing the dark car input from (or to) a ground or an open circuit, and then reapplying power to the module. The vehicle can also be reconfigured by changing the dark car input signal from (or to) a ground or an open circuit, entering diagnostics, and then exiting diagnostics.

The way it looks to me is the PI gets a "dummy" connector if you will that will relay back to the Data Link and Junction Box. When C2145c is not in use, the LCM runs normally. When C2145c is in use, it will provide this "dark mode." Seems to me like you'd need the extra wire. I may be wrong however, it's been awhile since I've really read a wiring diagram, and the ones I have read were A LOT simpilar than this. Well, anyway, here's what I've got:
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/kprrpk/images/cv%20lcm.jpg
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/kprrpk/images/pi%20lcm.jpg
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/kprrpk/images/big%20connector.jpg
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/kprrpk/images/little%20connector.jpg

RCSignals
02-19-2003, 04:57 PM
Unless you have a Police Interceptor you won't have that blue connector.

Instead of doing all that to make it work on a non-PI why don't you just replace your interior bulbs with yellow bulbs

TAF
02-19-2003, 05:08 PM
I don't know specifically why you are looking for this. BUT, I can say this is a GREAT feature when you have "little ones" in the car who inevidably either throw up or go to sleep and...when they're down...you WANT them to stay down (Slowpoke, that was for you!) and, when you get home late at night from Gram and Pap's...you don't want to wake them to take them into the house. (you might just be on your way inside to "get lucky" for putting up with In-Laws)

Oh to worry about THOSE simple things again...

CRUZTAKER
02-19-2003, 05:24 PM
^^^^what he said^^^^ :up:

nomad
02-19-2003, 05:53 PM
Seems like it might be easier just to bypass the drivers door entrance switch. Just pull switch out of door panel and splice two wires together?
Used to work in the days when two consenting aduls went [parking].
Anybody still slip away and do that kind of stuff anymore, I wonder?

TAF
02-19-2003, 06:08 PM
Quick funny story (albeit off-topic to dome lights) but about "parking", Nomad...

A few weeks ago, an elderly neighbor of mine called me in a panic due to a strange car parked at another neighbor's house (whom we all knew were out of town)...

She had already called the police because she had not been able to reach me. I rush over and arrive at the same time as the first patrol car. I approached with him (I know Sarge, probably not proper proceedure) and we got them!

It was another couple, whom I and the vacationing neighbors also know, who had some "time to kill" before heading home to dismiss the babysitter in a "compromising position" and thought they'd be safe there....:lol:

Note to LML...when you get old like some of us...you "get it when/where you can!"

nomad
02-19-2003, 06:28 PM
Toddalan, great story!:D
But,geez, couldn't they try an after hours car dealership, or an empty
K-Mart lot? Hope it was a full size American car, at least.:help:

LincMercLover
02-19-2003, 07:20 PM
I thought of the same thing nomad. I think simply unplugging it would bring about the same effect, and the best thing is you can have it for selective doors. However, I think I read in there it'll send some sort of trouble code to the Data Link, but nothing major (like a check engine light).

As for the "parking" thing... Umm... why do you think I drive big Lincs and Mercs? :D

RCSignals
02-19-2003, 11:36 PM
OK don't listen to me about the yellow bulbs.

The yellow light is subdued and barely visible outside the car, but still give a little light. You won't upset the LCM either

martyo
02-20-2003, 03:13 AM
LML: Get a room!!

CRUZTAKER
02-20-2003, 03:53 AM
I heard ya' RC.

LightningVic
02-20-2003, 01:00 PM
I park all the time, lol thats why im on my second crown vic, and my 4th body on frame rear drive american car. 3 cheers for back seats with room!!!!! HIP HIP.......ok maybe will make this one a silent cheer.

SergntMac
02-20-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by toddalanfisher
I rush over and arrive at the same time as the first patrol car. I approached with him (I know Sarge, probably not proper proceedure) and we got them!

I'm sure the officer was please to have met you, Todd, tell him any donut jokes before saying good night? LOL...

TAF
02-20-2003, 03:35 PM
Actually Sarge (as i continue to go off topic)...I know the officer. He's in the Precinct for my area. He responded to a break-in of my car 5 years ago. His last name is Broom...I always tell him..."***** Broom is out there sweeping up crime"

That night, he and I enjoyed a BIG LAUGH, as I'm sure you can imagine. And, yes...for the next 20 minutes or so he shared some other "adventures" with me.

He knows that he is always welcome to stop by my house since we met some time ago. And he's done it a time or two over the years.

Always good to know that they know you....

SergntMac
02-20-2003, 04:23 PM
Agreed, Todd, it is good to "know the neighbors" and I've made some decent friends from the beat. Like me and you here, it took me a while to appreciate your, ah, um..."perspective" on things, but now that I know you a bit better, I've come to appreciate your, ah, um..."perspective".

RCSignals
02-20-2003, 06:42 PM
It's always in the "perspective" ;)

NYSP618
02-21-2003, 06:47 AM
RC, do you get the feeling nobody cared?

:P

RCSignals
02-21-2003, 06:14 PM
NYSP618 yes, some are just more concerned about the mysterious "dark mode" Police option than solving a "problem" it seems ;) :)