PDA

View Full Version : Plugs

B-26
02-19-2003, 02:42 PM
Has anyone installed the AWSFA-12-C plugs? How hard was it? The left side looks tough to me.
How much gain over the stock plugs?

SergntMac
02-19-2003, 03:10 PM
If these are the plugs recommended by Reinhart to compliment his Delta chip, I would not necessarilly expect a "gain" you can point a tach at. They burn fuel cleaner, and like with the 180 stat, are just refinements to Reinhart's Delta chip's programming.

I've just read in another thread here, B26, that you have a Diablo chip, so, don't use the 180 stat or cooler plugs, without Diablo's recommendation, nor, should you use them alone.

Plugs and stat changes are performance "tweaks" suggested by Reinhart, for use only with his Delta chip in place.

Hope this helps.

Leadfoot
02-19-2003, 08:07 PM
12s?! Is that the Motorcraft plug part number? Those plugs seem way too cold. I'm running 22Cs with the stock thermostat and being blown. They're fine. If the plug is too cold, they may end up fowling. Plugs alone will not gain anything. You will need a chip and new stat. Personally, I don't think the gains will be worth the expense.

RF Overlord
02-20-2003, 08:18 AM
B-26: ^^^what SergntMac said^^^

Leadfoot: You would be correct, if using the plugs WITHOUT a chip. The Reinhart chip, while not perhaps requiring the use of these plugs, will not realise it's full potential without them...there are quite a few people running both 2V and 4V motors with Dennis's chip and the 12C plugs very happily...although he does recommend replacing them at about 30,000 versus the platinum 32PP at 100,000.

Vince Gortner
02-20-2003, 08:55 PM
So, how hard is it to change out the plugs? The left side does look like a huge pain the the groin area. I bought the Denso plugs, so I guess I'm in no matter what. Just wondering if anybody has done it and if there are any tricks to offer.

RF Overlord
02-21-2003, 06:13 AM
Vince and B-26:

The plugs are not at all hard to do... the passenger side is simple, and the driver's side simply requires the removal of the intake tube...use a GOOD spark plug socket (NOT a deep regular) and put a little silicone dielectric grease on the ceramics beforehand, so the socket will pull off more easily. A 6" or so extension seems to work, but some other combo of extensions and/or universals may be easier for you. The coil connectors just unplug, and the coils lift right off. Note: when replacing the coils, they don't "snap" into place like a regular plug wire...they just kinda slide on and sit there...I've been told this is normal. Also be careful not to over-tighten the new plugs...there is a torque spec I hope someone else will supply...I just used a 3/8" ratchet and tightened them 1/8 turn past seated.

LincMercLover
02-21-2003, 06:23 AM
On MOST platinum plugs, the torque spec is 15ft-lbs.