PDA

View Full Version : Catastrophic Engine Failure Part 2

MARAUDER S/C #5
03-12-2005, 11:39 PM
As you may have read Jerry's motor in Trilogy #1 is going to need to be replaced. Who wants to be first to step up to the plate and help out?

All donations can be sent to Trilogy Motorsports, 15726 Michigan Ave., Dearborn, Mi.,48126. Thank you :P

Logan
03-13-2005, 02:58 PM
It last alot longer than I ever thought it would considering it had the crap kicked out of it constantly... :)

MARAUDER S/C #5
03-16-2005, 06:09 PM
:bump: :bump: :bump:

LVMarauder
03-16-2005, 07:58 PM
This is a joke right....

MARAUDER S/C #5
03-17-2005, 04:44 AM
Why would it be? It wasn't a joke last time someone here blew their motor and members helped out with donations.

03whitemach
03-17-2005, 06:18 AM
Yep, its true. Just a little to much N2O and boost at one time. I'm sure it was a long trip back from Bradenton, FL. with a sweet car sitting in the trailer that won't go unless towed. Build a nice one Jerry!!!

Jerry Barnes
03-17-2005, 07:55 AM
Well Folks it happened. Trlogy #1 blew up, big time. I can't say that I am surprised, we beat that car severely and it is a great car. We have used this car as our test bed for many changes, upgrades and experiments. As Logan put it, "I'm surprised it lasted this long considering the abuse we have given it". Many of you have driven in or driven Trilogy #1 and everyone has given it the "pedal to the metal treatment". I can truely say that it has taken the abuse very well.

I would like to thank Rick for the offer of donations to rebuild the motor, but that wil not be necessary. We have a brand new spare Marauder engine, because we anticipated this happening much sooner. So, thanks for the offer, but its all part of engineering and testing a performance upgrade.

A little details about the condition of the car when it gave up. Over the winter we made some more modifications to make the car to go faster.

Kooks Long Tube Headers
Balanced Drive Shaft
New Auburn Differential with a gurdle
Moser Racing Axles
Baer Brakes
NOS
Battery in the trunk
Focus Fuel Pump

We have been running the car at 13-14 psi of boost for over a year now. and it has been performing very well.

When I took the car to Fun Ford on March 5-6 it run pretty well. I will post the time slips when I get in the office. I am home sick today. Worst time was a 12.49 and best time was a 11.97. The initial runs were with 93 octane gas. The later runs were with 110 octane gas. NO NOS WAS USED. Lidio wanted to be present when I used the NOS for the first time. So I was waiting for Bradington to use the NOS. Car ran very strong, but I began hearing a leak in the exhaust system. Still ran the car hard.

When I got to Bradington I talk to Lidio about the exhaust leak and we decided not t use the NOS until the leak could be fixed. But, the first run caused the engine to fail. NO NOS WAS USED and we were running 93 octane gas. So that's what happened. We will post pictures once the engine can be disassembled and discuss the possible causes for the failure. We run this car hard to see what the weaknesses are at each level of modification. We will continue to do this because we want the learning curve and problems to be identified with our cars, not the customers cars. So this is a natural part of design, engineering and testing. We see this all of the time on the Ford Engine Programs our engineers work on. And, if we are not having a failure when we push the limits on our product, we are not racing or learning.

Trilogy #1 is a very special vehicle for Trilogy and she will be rebuilt and be back on the track within a month. We have an emotional tie to this car and want to keep her as our laboratory. We have no intention of retiring or selling #1, EVER! It's part of our family and history.

I can tell you that I feel strongly that #1 will be in the low 11's before the summer is over.

I will keep you posted as we learn more. If you have any questions about the car, our modifications or the engine failure please start a thread here or call me directly at (313)336-6135.

Sincerely,

Jerry

LVMarauder
03-17-2005, 12:13 PM
Why would it be? It wasn't a joke last time someone here blew their motor and members helped out with donations.

MarauderMark was a victim of murphys law and our membership did a wonderful thing heping him out. Lidio on the other hand is a professional, who knew exactly what he was doing and what would happen. You cant really expect us to buy him a new engine when he was trying to see when it would blow?

MarauderMark
03-17-2005, 01:03 PM
Trilogy #1 is a very special vehicle for Trilogy and she will be rebuilt and be back on the track within a month. We have an emotional tie to this car and want to keep her as our laboratory. We have no intention of retiring or selling #1, EVER! It's part of our family and history.

This is a good thing to hear concidering your loss. :( .Please let us know why it blew.:up:.

MARAUDER S/C #5
03-17-2005, 03:00 PM
I would like to thank Rick for the offer of donations to rebuild the motor, but that wil not be necessary. We have a brand new spare Marauder engine, because we anticipated this happening much sooner. So, thanks for the offer, but its all part of engineering and testing a performance upgrade.No problem Jerry, you have done a lot for us Trilogy S/C owners and members of this site. If at any time I can ever help you out in some way just let me know.

Thanks, Rick

MARAUDER S/C #5
03-17-2005, 03:02 PM
MarauderMark was a victim of murphys law and our membership did a wonderful thing heping him out. Lidio on the other hand is a professional, who knew exactly what he was doing and what would happen. You cant really expect us to buy him a new engine when he was trying to see when it would blow?
:rolleyes: OK, thanks for your help and input! :rolleyes: