PDA

View Full Version : Chip and my style

Reaper948
02-19-2003, 09:28 PM
Okay, so I dont get it
The three switch console for Reinhart chip.....
Where do you put it?

When you manually shift.....will it screw up the computer when youre running the chip?

Sometimes I shift down when I need to slow down quick (with my brakes) and sometimes i manually shift up........WHat im saying is
does the chip interfere with my normal driving habits.....

RF Overlord
02-19-2003, 09:34 PM
I drive much the same, reap...and no, it doesn't seem to, but I've heard the chip does a better job shifting for you, so you'll get the fastest times just flooring it in drive (OD off), rather than manually up-shifting...

jefferson-mo
02-19-2003, 10:30 PM
Also Reap my Ford rep said manual downshifting tears up the OD band.............I do the manual upshift but rely mostly on my brakes for the whoa down..........

Reaper948
02-19-2003, 10:57 PM
Crap....

Reaper948
02-19-2003, 10:57 PM
Why? i dont understand
I mean, I do it at appropriate rev levels
I promise....Driving a manual i did the same exact thing.....

RCSignals
02-20-2003, 12:01 AM
you'll get the fastest times just flooring it in drive (OD off),

why OD off? if you are flooring it it isn't going to shift into OD right away like it does for normal driving.

For a Police Interceptor for instance, it is recommended to use the OD selection when in "pursuit" mode.

LincMercLover
02-20-2003, 06:27 AM
With OD on it'll try to run through the gears quicker to get to that OD (mainly 2 to 3 and 3 to OD).

RF Overlord
02-20-2003, 08:06 AM
LML:

I've been thinking (yes, todd, that WAS solid oak you smelled burning :D ): with the stock programming, we are probably correct, but after RC's question, I'm beginning to second-guess myself...with Dennis's chip, IS it actually necessary to turn the OD off with a WOT launch, or does his programming eliminate that issue? hmmm.....

Dennis? :help: ??

SergntMac
02-20-2003, 09:01 AM
Now, I don't know if I am correct either. However, I leave the OD engaged, and the car shifts perfectly for me under WOT.

Would this have anything to do with torque converter lock-up? This is also something I'm not too sharp on, I grew up on 4 speeds, and this is my first experience with an auto shifter in performance conditions.

Beadhead
02-23-2003, 07:38 PM
Back to Reap's 1st question. Where DID you guys with the chip switch put it (the switch, I mean -- I think I know where the chip goes!). Am getting a chip soon, and want to have an answer for the "Where do you want us to mount the switch" question.

FordNut
02-23-2003, 07:59 PM
Mine is hidden in a spot that seemed like it was meant for the switch. Look at the kick panel. At the back edge, there is a gap between the top of the kick panel and the dash panel. At the bottom edge of the dash, there is a metal tab. drill a hole in this metal piece. Fashion a small bracket for mounting the switch and led into. About 1-1/2" x 2" is what mine was. Sheet metal will work, but I had a spare kick panel so I cut off a small piece of it. Drill 3 holes in it, one for the switch, one for the led and a third for mounting. Attach the switch and led, route the wire up and over the dash support to the opening and connect it. Then mount the bracket using one of the push-in attaching thingys that are used to attach trim panels. I also made a label and attached to the bracket that indicates 93-91-off so I don't have to guess which color led means what.

Beadhead
02-23-2003, 08:43 PM
Thanks, FN! Will check out the placement you suggest to-morrow. Sounds like an ideal solution.

RCSignals
02-23-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by LincMercLover
With OD on it'll try to run through the gears quicker to get to that OD (mainly 2 to 3 and 3 to OD).

In normal driving yes, but from what i understand, not in WOT or heavy accelleration

Murader03
02-24-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Beadhead
Back to Reap's 1st question. Where DID you guys with the chip switch put it (the switch, I mean -- I think I know where the chip goes!). Am getting a chip soon, and want to have an answer for the "Where do you want us to mount the switch" question.

Mine is in the kick panel, in molded part. It's up and out of the way, and can still be reached from the seat. It resides just to the rear, towards the seat, of the parking brake. Since you must shut the car off to change the switch position anyway, it need not be that convient. Besides, the dealer's tech's may never see it there......

CRUZTAKER
02-24-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by FordNut
Drill 3 holes in it, one for the switch, one for the led and a third for mounting

I did not get an LED......Dennis never even offered. That must be what the (other) small connecter is for??????

Please educate the dummies, what is the meaning of "WOT"?

Murader03
02-24-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by CRUZTAKER

Please educate the dummies, what is the meaning of "WOT"? [/B]

WIDE OPEN Throttle!

jefferson-mo
02-24-2003, 04:15 PM
Ok what's WFO?????

:lol:

you old navy guys should know that

RF Overlord
02-24-2003, 04:18 PM