PDA

View Full Version : Procharger Kit#2 Finally Tuned

MarauderTJA
03-21-2005, 08:15 AM
After days of working hard to get things right, we finally got my car tuned. Whereas this is a new kit, a lot of R&D went into the tune. We ran 17 dyno runs at my tuners shop (J&J Performance, Ft Myers, FL) Still not satisfied, we had to take the car over to Diablosport, put it on their dyno and make 7 more dyno runs before being comfortable with it being safe. We added a Diablosport Mass air extender (Maf.ia) due to A/F problems to which it was corrected. The highest HP run, the car made a high of 475 RWHP, 436 Tq at Diablosport. Waaaaaaaaay too much HP. When I heard that, I was wondering if the motor was still in one piece. But the motor is still solid. That was at 16 degrees of timing and the car was making 14 lb's of boost with a 10lb pulley. No exhaust and the cat's I was told by Scott Beer at Diablosport was the reason.

After that the car was dialed back to 13 degrees of timing. Boost reduced to 10-12 lbs w/WOT shift points at 6000 Rpm. Dyno results then much more acceptable at 431 RWHP and 411 Tq. My tuner wants to upgrade the 42 LB to 60 lb injectors (which I am ordering). I am going to put Kooks headers and 2.5" exhaust on the car soon as they become available. After that we should be able to safely move the shift points back up to 6300 or 6400 RPM, pull a little more horsepower/torque and timing and hopefully keep the car within safe limits of the bottom end. Transmission shifts were all re-worked and are really great for both normal, heavy accelerated and WOT getting it on.

I have been a serious motor head all my life. Drag raced street and race cars since I was 21. I love horsepower. There is no question that with our MM's to put any real power to them we have to put in a forged bottom end. No getting around it. So that will be the plan down the road and the real reason I chose the Procharger kit. Of course, tranny, axles and the like will have to be upgraded as well $$$$$$$. This is not going to happen any time to soon. $$$

Driving the car.....Incredible power! :banana2: Since Saturday I have been driving the car somewhat spirited to say the least. Like being in a completely different car when you get on it. Nailed it this morning on the way to the office a couple of times. Drives like a typical centrifugal blower car:burnout: . Nailing it from a dead stop the car lurches foward and then starts to spin the tires. Not long though. The car starts to really move when the boost spools up and then hold on. It breaks the tires loose when it hits second gear and power comes on like being in a rocket sled. What I personally like about the boost rolling on is the lack of tire spin with the standard BF Goodrich's, even with 4:10's. The inertia of the car is moving and under way,before the boost hits. And even at the second gear shift when the boost is up, the tires only spin for a second or two. I am sure this is due to the stock convertor (or loose as Lidio calls it.) To say the least I am extremely impressed! Hitting passing gear at about 45-50 MPH is best described as being in an F-16 jet and hitting the afterburners.. You reach 100 MPH so fast, you have to be real careful. Now I am going to have to get some big brakes on the car soon, real soon, more $$$$. Stopping is real important.

Right now there is no question in my experience that the car can compete out of the hole with a Triology car with drag radials. Stock tires, maybe....... After the 60 foot mark, it will be anyone's game.:coolman: The last set of beams will be the truth factor. The only way I can really get this car to come out of the hole with some real power is to put a 4000 speed stall convertor in with drag radials. I really am not in any hurry for this. Plus, I love the driveability of the car. Feels like my car before the blower install with normal driving and still get 21 MPG on the highway. If I really want to blast out of the hole, I'll get in my 01 Procharger Mustang stick car that has 315 Extreme Drag radials on 10.5" rims and 3.73's. That satisfies that craving. Plus my Marauder for now is not going to be a drag strip car. Occasionally yes. Down the "forged highway road" things may change (if I can possibly talk my wife into giving up her Lincoln LS and getting a Marauder, a tuff sell to her) I am looking forward to smoking some Chevy's, GTO's and anything else that wants to play with a Supercharged Marauder. It is going to be fun...:) :) :)

This is my daily driver and highway car on business. For those of you looking for another choice in Superchargers, you really need to take a look at this kit. It is priced right, install easy(according to CarFixer) and the fit and finish is great. And doing what TMAC did to his pieces with ceramic coating makes it even prettier. If you are a horsepower junky like me, you have some good future options with the Procharger kit. I do plan within a year to do a forged bottom end etc and then upgrade to a D1SC and push around 18 lbs of boost. All for only a $900.00 blower upgrade cost from Procharger within a year of the first purchase of the kit's P1SC.

If all goes well this Thursday night I plan to go to Bradenton Raceway and see what the car will do with my fat 250 lb A$$ in the seat. But I have been going to the gym and working out. SO maybe I'll only be at 245 lb's by then. Then lookout....

Hey guys, I know there has been some heated and spirited debate here of late. Actually for me, it has been the most exciting on this website since I became a member last July 04 when I bought my car. But the bottom line is we all love our cars, regardless of the power adders or just plain bone stock. Cut a little slack and give us Procharger guys a break......or at least until I can build the "first 10 second Procharger Marauder" within the year. Then Jerry and Lidio and the rest of roots group will have a serious challenge. But then again, knowing Jerry and Lidio, they will probably beat me to it...But also, Greg (MarauderKC) Marauder is coming out of the Missouri plains soon with his new D1SC Procharger forged motor. As much as I would like to, I don't think I'll be able to make it to Michigan this August as it is my busiest time of year for my business. I am sure Greg will make though.
To say the least it will be interesting and full of debate I'm sure.....:beer:

Mike Poore
03-21-2005, 08:44 AM
.... To say the least I am extremely impressed! Hitting passing gear at about 45-50 MPH is best described as being in an F-16 jet and hitting the afterburners..
Great post, TJA, thanks for sharing. I'm wondering about the "passing gear WOT" part, though, and will ask if you're punching the button and have it out of O/D before you nail it, as there's been a fair amount of discussion about the O/D not being able to withstand a sudden rip like that.

Anyway, it looks like you're doing your homework, something we all benefit from. Thanks for putting your a$$ on the line for the rest of us. :high5:

Bootlegger
03-21-2005, 09:02 AM
Sounds great Tom, I'll probadly make the trip Thursday night to see the numbers.

tmac1337
03-21-2005, 09:26 AM
I'm glad you like your car Tom!

It sounds like Diablosport and your tuner in Fort Meyers did a great job with tuning a MMer. Being at 13 degrees of safe timing now with the potential to add 3 more indicates this.

I can't wait to see your car a year from now with the upgrades your going to be making. I will be watching very closely with an eye turned toward my own car. For now I am happy with 42 pound injectors and 8 PSI.

I'll be over your way next weekend for some playtime.

TechHeavy
03-21-2005, 10:14 AM
Wow, TJA. Excellent post! I'm really looking forward to seeing one of these set-ups at MVIII!

Keep rockin' and be safe!

MarauderTJA
03-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Great post, TJA, thanks for sharing. I'm wondering about the "passing gear WOT" part, though, and will ask if you're punching the button and have it out of O/D before you nail it, as there's been a fair amount of discussion about the O/D not being able to withstand a sudden rip like that.

Anyway, it looks like you're doing your homework, something we all benefit from. Thanks for putting your a$$ on the line for the rest of us. :high5:
Mike, the first time I jumped on it I had the O/D on. Now I do shut off the O/D as I have heard the same thing. The O/D bands in the tranny will not last and probably blow out with that kind of instant power.

MarauderTJA
03-21-2005, 11:35 AM
Sounds great Tom, I'll probadly make the trip Thursday night to see the numbers.
Right now Mel, it seems that the weather may not good. Forcasting rain through the rest of the week. We'll see.

MarauderMark
03-21-2005, 01:37 PM
That sure is some bad a$$ numbers..Congrats on your new power..:up:

Cobra25
03-21-2005, 01:48 PM
I'm glad you like the kit Tom. For the money you can't bet it. I've been in Tmac's ProCharger Marauder & it move's really quick. Good luck at the track Thursday if you go.