PDA

View Full Version : site membership program

Billatpro
02-21-2003, 02:03 PM
I would like to pose an idea here, Is there any way to turn this into a real membership site? I would not have a problem with paying a membership fee to join and perhaps we could come with some kind of "beny" to be a member.

It seems to me that if are all going to benifit from this site we should help support it.

Lets "brain storm it" what ya think?

nomad
02-21-2003, 02:09 PM
Sounds good, I just don't think Logan needs any MORE lawyers and legal crap right now.:rolleyes:
Just a thought.

RF Overlord
02-21-2003, 02:16 PM
LML: You should have put "Lawyers, Guns, and Money" on the round flat thingy, for Logan...

:lol: :help: :po:

JerseyVics
02-21-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Billatpro
I would like to pose an idea here, Is there any way to turn this into a real membership site? I would not have a problem with paying a membership fee to join and perhaps we could come with some kind of "beny" to be a member.

It seems to me that if are all going to benifit from this site we should help support it.

I think its a good idea.

A club for Late Model Marauder Owners would be much easier to implement than a club for all kinds of Panther Plaform owners because its not as diverse and it doesn't exclude anyone (If I remember correctly, older Vics were not a Panther Platform) so I'm for this idea.

We do need a lawyer however to walk us through the process and get the paperwork right.

--Russ

PS. In order to start brain storming.... here's some food for thought:

1). What will the purpose of this club/community be? (exact terms)

2). What will we name it? (mercurymarauder.net sounds perfect)

3). How would we organize it, and who would run for officers?

Logan
02-21-2003, 04:40 PM
Actually, I've got alot of the stuff that would be needed, kind of a "club in a box" kind of deal.

I'll forward it to you JV.

SergntMac
02-21-2003, 04:50 PM
NO...NO...NO...

Sorry to be the devil's advocate on this, but someone has to do that, otherwise, it won't be good brainstorming.

Don't do this, it won't work. When friendships involve money, friendship looses. When organizations organize, friendship looses. Appoint or elect officers, friendship looses. Create fair rules and apply them fairly across the board, friendship looses.

Already, in my head, I hear the problems and complaints...
"if this is a marauder site, what are these crown vic guys doing here?"
"hey, I own a 4.6 DOHC, what do I care about SOHC motors, shut yer pie hole!"
"you don't own a marauder, get the ****** outta here!"
"what's the board doing with MY membership money, who authorized THAT!" and so on...

Ladies and gentlemen, in my humble opinion, what we have here and now, works. If it works, don't try to fix it. A national "association" may have some aluring benefits, but I can't see them being any more valuable than what I am getting out of this site right now. Discounts on merch? Perhaps. Inside 411 from LM? Maybe. The question is, what more should we expect from organizing into a formal membership? What?

That said, I would support having a nice "credit card" type of membership card for my wallet, a nifty window/bumper decal, and a classy and refined dash plaque, and I'd pay...um...maybe 25. for them. Anything more than that, would ruin what we have going now...IMHO.

Okay...come get me, I'm suited up.

Directedby
02-21-2003, 04:58 PM
I agree with Sarge.

merc406
02-21-2003, 05:00 PM
Same sentiment here as the Sarge's :up: :rock: :up:

jgc61sr2002
02-21-2003, 05:02 PM
Sarg - You make some very valid points when it comes to friendship and money. We should stress the importance of supporting the vendors who support this site. John:)

gonzo50
02-21-2003, 05:17 PM
I'm with you SergntMac, I've received so much information from this site and got to know alot of the Members Personality by how they present their material on the board. I'm pleased with what's here already, and like you said "if it ain't broke don't try to fix it". :shake: Just my thoughts. I'm with the dash plaque and wallet size plastic membership card, etc.etc.

JerseyVics
02-21-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by SergntMac

That said, I would support having a nice "credit card" type of membership card for my wallet, a nifty window/bumper decal, and a classy and refined dash plaque, and I'd pay...um...maybe 25. for them. Anything more than that, would ruin what we have going now...IMHO.

That about summed up my dreams and hopes for this club. I can hardly wait to get Logan's "club in a box" deal thingy and examine it (thanks Logan) if the cost is not too high I'll pay the fee to register mercurymarauder.net and have it recognized as an official entity.

The rest of the details will go from there, for those that wish to chip in I'm sure I'll ask for it when I get some real $#'s down. We do have to find a place that does plaques (a wooden background with a round hubcap godhead badge and a chrome/gold plate on it stating owner's name, MM member # and his MM VIN# etched in) would look great on any enthusiast's wall, (credit card type) ID cards and window stickers (hopefuly static so you can remove it whenever you're cleaning your windows or want to re-locate it to another spot). Everyone can pay for their own MM.net kit.

One of the things we could do as a community... well we can certainly all go up to the STAP cruise in St. Thomas in June, than convoy to the Dearborn Ford 100th Anniversary Celebration, and enjoy the memories from that for a lifetime! I guess thats what clubs do.

It seems to me this would be a lot more acceptable idea. So forget about officers and agendas and focus on the everyday events on the forums. Can we agree on that?

--Russ:)

martyo
02-21-2003, 05:46 PM
I agree with Sarge. On the other hand, if Logan needs help with the sire financially, I think we would all agree that he should let us know and, based on his turn out for the Quints (clearly a show of our respect and appreciation for Logan), we would (should???) all pitch in. How 'bout it Logan, need a hand??

P.S. If we are going to formally organize, I nominate Crafty(Slow)poke to be in charge of the cards and stickers. Sorry Rick, but no good deed goes unpunished!!

nomad
02-21-2003, 05:51 PM
Do I hear ROAD TRIP!:D
Seriously, thanks Sarge and JV, both good ideas.
Lets not muddy up a perfectly fine place with too much legalese.
Just my take on things. [Which are GREAT as-is]

RCSignals
02-21-2003, 06:35 PM
I agree with Mac

I don't understand this from Russ

I'll pay the fee to register mercurymarauder.net and have it recognized as an official entity.

Isn't mercurymarauder.net already registered, and belonging to Logan?

JerseyVics
02-21-2003, 06:38 PM
registered as a non-profit or chartered as a club.

mercurymarauder.com and mercurymarauder.net are just domain names.

--Russ

TAF
02-21-2003, 06:58 PM
If Logan comes to me and says he needs a little "sompin-sompin" for the site, he's got it. But, sarge is right about his point of turning things into what could be a real mess...

I've been here since early July, I remember when you only needed to check "New Posts" 2-3 times a week (now if you miss a few hours, you got 30 to go through and Lord knows, just trying to decipher RF's takes time). The growth and change has been good, and most of the new folks have "folded right in" with us old guys........BUT, that kind of change could be detrimental....IMHO.

Logan, you need something to help you run it...just ask and I and a lot of others will be there (I hope several of you took the opportunity to show appreciation recently), otherwise in the words of John Lennon "Let It Be, Let It Be"

CRUZTAKER
02-21-2003, 07:02 PM
^^^what he said, and the majority^^^

Sharing feels better any how....:up:

03 Merc
02-21-2003, 07:13 PM
Guys,

I have been involved in, and or currently involved in, both types of groups being discussed. This is one of those cases were everyone is right to a degree.

I am a member of national SVTOA and the local Atlanta Chapter and you do hear the "What are you doing with my money" crap. Especially since it's darn expensive having to pay dues to both national and local for the percieved value. Plus the politics of officers and elections and the like... there goes the friendships... Club meetings are not a lot of fun, it's business time, and getting participation is a pain in the butt..

I am also a member of the Ford Galaxie Club of America (FGOA). It is national club with out a local chapter (here anyway). For my dues I get a bi-monthly magazine with tech articles and events and a load of vendor discounts. Plus the Windshield decal for my 72 LTD Convertible and membership cards etc..plus we have a members only website as well as the public website.

Personally, I prefer the FGOA approach as it provides me the most benefits for the least hassle...

One other comment, and this is were I need my Nomex I suspect, and that regards site vendors. Site Vendors are a wonderful resource and provide excellent expertise to and for everyone. I will be purchasing some items from one of them in the next few months. However, I have detected a lot of Not Invented Here (NIH) lately when new products / vendors are mentioned by members.. Without dissenting opinions and new products we risk stagnation. That hasn't been an issue yet as the cars are too new, as is the group... That risk is why IMHO we should not rely on the site vendors as an sole source of information or for revenues.. I have seen this mess up another group and would like to avoid it here..

Personally, I used to send BlueOvalNews money and I am quite willing to assist here financially or other wise...it's all about percieved value.. and IMHO opinion we all get a lot of value out of this site..

Well as Sarge would say I have run out of change.. And I am suited up as well :D so as the man used to say; "C'mon down!":flamer:

Bob Mathis
02-21-2003, 07:15 PM
I agree with Todd and Sarge. Take it from a former Club Pres. it can be a big headache and I started a car club with 80 people from all over the area. If it ant broke don't fix it. This is a great site and I belive we all would help if needed Logan. I know I will. And thanks again Logan for this site It has helped me all ready by meeting the Altanta Breakfast bunch. I do like the idea of the ID Cards and the stickers with are Vin# or somethinking like that.

chapel1
02-21-2003, 07:18 PM
I agre with Mac..

JamesHecker
02-21-2003, 07:37 PM
I know I have contributed to Logan for this site and I would think that others have also. I would have no problem paying a small fee for this site's use. I feel the site is valuable, well run and very informative.

I probably would not have payed to join though. Not knowing how great this site is. It might prevent others from finding out how great it is if we required a paying membership.

As long as it is working for Logan, I would prefer a voluntary "membership fee".

As far as any additional benefits, I think a membership card or stickers or other ideas are great, and just as has been done with the pens, or pads, or the CD... they can all be a pay as you go proposition. Anyone that has the time and inclination can spearhead it and the rest of us will gladly chip in.

I really appreciate all the ideas and information that are a regular part of this board. It really is a community, and I'm glad I am able to be a part of it.

JerseyVics
02-21-2003, 07:50 PM
To summarize what I have read so far from people's opinions and suggestions an Ideal Mercury Marauder Club would:

1). Be based solely on the Forum as a community, without a formal infrastructure, officers, membership fees or any other politics that may make friends into enemies. (if thats possible?)

2). Any club contributions would be handled on an individual basis based on individual donations at the discretion of the individual.

3). Club would be open to all enthusiasts but owners would be able to purchase ID cards, owner's plaque (with owner's name and mm VIN#) or stickers for their vehicles from a common source.

4). Independent from Supporting Vendor influence and open to outside ideas as long as they are bound by forum guidelines.

5). Club meetings would be encouraged but not mandatory and involve an open discussion instead of club politics. And of course the goal would be to enjoy ourselves and meet fellow mm owners from other areas of US/Canada)

or something like that, lol

RCSignals
02-21-2003, 07:55 PM
Russ, what is your agenda with all this Club stuff.

You don't even seem to like Marauders.

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=179705&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Just asking

TAF
02-21-2003, 08:02 PM
Busted!!!!

Come on Russ...you were just joking, right? You would never compare a $5K, retired from service, SOHC, cloth seat, 150,000 mile PI with "mods" to a Marauder, right?

Beadhead
02-21-2003, 08:04 PM
Sarge rules. As far as site vendors go, the fact that they are financial supporters says a lot about their enthusiasm for the MM and their support for its owner community. A deference to their opinions and products is only to be expected.

JerseyVics
02-21-2003, 08:18 PM
haha, sorry slow typer... insert this reply to RC's last post.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to Belong to a Club where I "Belong."

(before someone tries playing the devil's advocate and say something like: " But You Don't! " I have to say that sooner or later I will, I've worked my way up from 1992 Vic to 1999 PI, I will have a Marauder sooner or later)

RC, that post you linked to expresses my opinion on a potentialy shot MM for $25K, and its also true that I can build a nice PI that I paid $5k for and have $10k to spend on mods. I would call it a White Marauder too! heh

Hope I cleared it up for you?

RCSignals
02-21-2003, 08:35 PM
We don't mind if you don't own a Marauder Russ.

Clear it up? yup, clear as mud ;)

JerseyVics
02-21-2003, 08:47 PM
I don't want to say too much about my future Enthusiasm with the Panther Platform but I have to say that my next one will probably be a Supercharged Police Interceptor and/or when Mercury announces its cutting Marauder from its line up, I'll get the last one from the production run as a Sunday driver.

I have one more year to go in college and I do not, under no cir***stances, want to own a Marauder right now because it would be my primary vehicle, and my heart breaks every time I see some bimbo backing into/out of a parking spot in Newark by school and touching my Vic's bumpers, it'd drive me mad! However I've finaly found a job that I enjoy and I can afford one, but like I said would rather hold off and get one when I can enjoy it most! A Supercharged Vic would be an awesome beater in the mean time. You can follow progress on it on my site of course... it feels nice to have spilled the beans, and kind of introduced myself better to this community!

--Russ :)

PS. almost forgot to take the spot light off of myself and point it back on the Club idea.... another good point was posted above: We need not piss off our Supporting Vendors!

WolfeBros
02-21-2003, 08:48 PM
I could never support a club that would have me as a member. :lol:

Actually this site is home and I already feel like I belong. I would gladly pay a fee to be a part of this group.

LincMercLover
02-21-2003, 08:53 PM
I, for one, was saying the exact same thing as Sarge when I read the first couple of posts. We become this "membership" where dues are paid and officals are elected, it'll be crazy. We'll loose our ties with the SS guys and CV/PI guys, which I personally have no problem with having around. I can go for all the little club things like cards and vehicle identification (was planning on sticking a card in each the back side windows), but something as "offical" as that might end up becoming a burden for some. Logan SHOULD know, as all of you do, he has our full support if he'd ever need it. I say we keep this all plain and simple. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

PS: No way would I be handeling the card stock stuff that Crafypoke Industries does! WAY outta my league... All I know is this technical stuff. :rolleyes:

vaderv
02-21-2003, 10:54 PM
I agree with Mac...Right now this is probably the one of the best auto related forums going. Why screw it up for an I.D. Ive got plenty of those already. Just MHO.

JerseyVics
02-21-2003, 11:14 PM
well.... we can put it on a backburner and than someone else will come along and say: "Hey why don't we start a club?" and you'll see me be among the first to reply: "Dude! Thats a great idea..."

--Russ ;)

Mad1
02-22-2003, 08:36 AM
Not to repost Sarge's words, but we really need to keep this like the neighborhood guys hanging out at a friend's garage. I really enjoy the friendliness and openness of this site, which I think would suffer if we make it a paid, exclusive site.

That said. I'd really like to see us organize as a group in some other ways. With the support of Ford/Lincoln-Mercury.

Case in point.

This past August, the 7th annual Dodge Viper Owners Invitational was held in Nashville.
Daimler-Chrysler pays the first year of dues in the club when you buy the car and helps organize it as a "Brand-Loyalty" strategy. (Hear that Willy Ford!).
Meanwhile, the club had some pretty awesome events. They had rented out the Nashville Superspeedway race track and had instructors from the Skip Barber racing school on hand.

Of course, as a member of the local media ... I got to take a brand new '03 Viper convertible out on the track for a little spin. (Handles nice and I had it at about 220 mph in third gear with 3 more to go on the road course's straightaway.) See picture below, for my ride ... note the rear view mirror on the passenger side ... you can see the front row of Vipers lined up on the race track behind it.

But, All I kept thinking was that I'd love to have an event like this for my MM, which I'd had less than two weeks at that point.

Also, the obligatory parts and mods sponsors, as well as the accessory markets were well represented.

Now for something like that, I'd be willing to join a club, even if the dues were $1,000 a year.

Did I mention, I love my job? I do really. :)

chapel1
02-22-2003, 12:42 PM
We all agree on two things,the Marauder and this site!!!Thier fun and fun to play with!:coolman:

Billatpro
02-22-2003, 03:35 PM
OK IT"S FLAME TIME! ok it's not. Well, this got to just exactly to where I thought it would, no where!

Now that everyone has taken sides and taken the whole idea to major extreams in both directions, just let me say that I had no intentions of "fixing any thing that aint broke"

I was not and am not of the opinion that there is anything wrong with what you all have here. I had only sought to improve what was here and to help justify the effort of providing this site.

If it's no more then a window sticker and a $50.00 a year donation, I can handle that. But it was a lively topic, Yes?

SergntMac
02-22-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Billatpro
I was not and am not of the opinion that there is anything wrong with what you all have here. I had only sought to improve what was here and to help justify the effort of providing this site. If it's no more then a window sticker and a $50.00 a year donation, I can handle that. But it was a lively topic, Yes?

I never got the impression you felt there was anything wrong here, Bill, in fact, I got the same impression from your opening post, of a feeling I've had from time to time myself, i.e. "if it's this good now, how good can it get?" I also toyed with the ideas we've seen discussed here, in my head. As bright as I wished they could shine, the inherrent problems that come along with them, just doesn't balance out.

Case in point; In another thread here, one of us mentions a repair manual that cost him 130 bucks. My first thought was wondering how cheap we could get that book, if we could lobby with the printer as a club, order maybe 100 books and get them for 99 bucks each. That would be one major benefit of formal organization, as you suggest. However, when you add on the headaches and disappointments that come along with constructing the formal organization that would allow us to negotiate the deal, the book savings would not be worth it all, IMHO. So, if anyone wants that book, it's 130 bucks, but we continue to enjoy this 'net without the worry and headaches.

I think it was a wonderful idea, smart, and it would have been explored someday. Like it's been mentioned, it may get explored again, and then, the feelings may be different. We'll see.

I too, have no problem with 50 buck "donations" for some inexpensive, (but rare too) gimmies. Keeping this 'net as it is today, is our best option, and it's been nice to see us agree on something. Yes, it's been lively, and we have learned something more about ourselves too.

Thanks, Bill, for breeching the topic, please do more of this. We seem to enjoy the brainstorming.

bugsys03
02-22-2003, 04:10 PM
i have read all of the posts on this thread and here are my observations:every police cruiser i was invited to ride in (in my younger days) had vinyl or leather interior and 220 mph in 3rd???!!! i want some of what hes smokin!!!!

Billatpro
02-22-2003, 04:12 PM
Thanks Mac, as always you seem to have the voice of reason, which must be why so many agree with the majority of opinions, which is why I try to find away to disagree :D

Just trying to find a way to contribute!!

JerseyVics
02-22-2003, 04:48 PM
Every time there is a post about starting club I always learn something new or someone opens my eyes to a new perspective... Although this hasn't been really mentioned here but here's one of the speedbumps we'd hit if mercurymarauder.net was a registered non-profit or a chartered club:

FORD would NOT like the idea of there being a company with their registered trademark name... in a case of a club they'd still want some royalties for using a brand name in the club's name... like Mustang club pay. Those fees are usualy expensive, so we're better off as an online community the way it is for now.

One of the things I'd like to propose though that would really contribute to the site as a community is some sticker deal to identify your cars to other Marauder owners or Enthusiasts.... stickers are catchy and having "mercurymarauder.net" on your car is bound to bring new traffic plus show that you support the site (if that makes sense) it'd work.

--Russ :)

Bigdogjim
02-22-2003, 09:22 PM
"Don't do this, it won't work. When friendships involve money, friendship looses. When organizations organize, friendship looses. Appoint or elect officers, friendship looses. Create fair rules and apply them fairly across the board, friendship looses.">> quote
As said so well by the Sarge.
It took me a few minutes to get through all of this but, I have to agree with Sarge and others.
Big Dog

Mad1
02-22-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by bugsys03
i have read all of the posts on this thread and here are my observations:every police cruiser i was invited to ride in (in my younger days) had vinyl or leather interior and 220 mph in 3rd???!!! i want some of what hes smokin!!!!

Don't take my word for it. I can give you the number of the Skip Barber instructor that was sitting next to me and you can ask him.

The course was half on the oval track and half on a road course through the infield. He said not to shift out of third as we went into the straightaway ... I didn't because we then had to brake hard and turn back into the infield. I only glanced down at the speedometer, but that's what it said. (I didn't want to miss the turn while staring at the dials ... that would have been embarassing.)

Here's the line of Vipers getting ready to roll out on the track.

Mad1
02-22-2003, 09:42 PM
Here's shot I took flying in formation with the Red Baron aerobatic group.
A buddy of mine (lucky guy) is riding in the other plane.
The first shot is the other plane banking away from my plane.

The second shot ... we're in the middle of a loop and heading straight down.

Mad1
02-22-2003, 09:44 PM
I love this shot. The horizon says it all.

merc406
02-22-2003, 09:49 PM
TRW took the guy's their to Skip Barber school, a couple of years ago, my brother in-law had a great time.

Mad1 you've got some great experience's there!! :rock:

Mark McQuaide
02-23-2003, 06:34 AM
Hey Mad1 - my son is a big Viper fan. Are there pics of the event posted somewhere he can check them out?

Slowpoke
09-24-2004, 02:09 PM
and remember, the membership cards here are free..... you can find my version of them in the photo gallery, somewhere. Or PM me for my mailing address, send me a self addressed envelope with a couple of stamps on it and I will load you up with them at no charge.

Bluerauder
09-24-2004, 03:15 PM
I like the ideas above and would also chip in my share. There are some pitfalls to formal clubs as Mac mentioned. Heck, I thought we were already a club --- the current set-up is fine; but the card and decal would be OK with me. :up:

hitchhiker
09-24-2004, 03:19 PM

The problem with turning this into a paid membership site is that with a paid membership, access would be a right and not the privilege it is now.

Banned members, even for cause, would have the ability to make claims against the site and its owner taking issue with violation of their free speech rights, etc.

For this reason, I would vote to keep the site as it is now, under Logan's control with membership controlled by Logan.

Logan has used good judgement for the most part and continues to do so.

Thanks and Best Regards,

David

SHERIFF
09-24-2004, 03:52 PM
........ if the cost is not too high I'll pay the fee to register mercurymarauder.net and have it recognized as an official entity.

Do you have any idea how much the domain name would be worth now?

I sure hope Logan knows. :D

SHERIFF
09-24-2004, 04:01 PM
Good gosh, Almighty!

I just noticed this subject is 19 months old!!!!!! :D

WTH kicked this back to the top? :D

Silver_04
09-24-2004, 05:39 PM
I'd rather see a stated financial contribution goal set for the site and people contribute willingly towards it.

Bluerauder
09-24-2004, 05:45 PM
I just noticed this subject is 19 months old!!!!!! :D

WTH kicked this back to the top? :D

Poke's note below .... :eek:

and remember, the membership cards here are free..... you can find my version of them in the photo gallery, somewhere. Or PM me for my mailing address, send me a self addressed envelope with a couple of stamps on it and I will load you up with them at no charge.

The title seemed relevant to the other recent discussions .... I gotta start looking at thread dates :dunno:

Bigdogjim
09-24-2004, 06:45 PM
Relax guy we do this now and again:)

Just want to see how long folks will post before they see how old the thread is.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

jstevens
09-24-2004, 07:14 PM
Hey, I wasn't a member back then. I resent this being called an old thread.
LOL