PDA

View Full Version : Long or short?

MarauderBoy
02-21-2003, 07:04 PM
Interestingly, the two performance sponsors of this site have different approaches when it comes to headers. My understanding is that longer tube headers are more beneficial in developing low end torque. Although the short version is probably less expensive and able to bolt up to the stock exhaust.

What's the straight poop?

Mark

SergntMac
02-22-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by MarauderBoy
Interestingly, the two performance sponsors of this site have different approaches when it comes to headers. My understanding is that longer tube headers are more beneficial in developing low end torque. Although the short version is probably less expensive and able to bolt up to the stock exhaust. What's the straight poop?

I think you got the straight poop...for now,Mark. Some of us are excited by the mention of new goodies, but we're waiting for the performance 411. Until now, there were only two choices, each from a sponsor here, and both expensive due to custom building. But, we are clamoring for more and Mensrea has something in ther wings with a commercial builder, so, we're still waiting

I will be looking for the stats you mentioned, but you know how some guys are though, they just gotta have something right now, damn the stats or technology on what works and what doesn't. Some people believe that when something comes from the factory, it just has to be upgraded. No chance the designers knew their stuff. So, we'll see, eh?

Added after post:

It's amazing, how trains of thought develop. Just had a nice half hour chat with a friend from "the old days." He agrees with you, Mark, that the purpose of a tuned long tube header was to produce the low end power, and "shorties" do not do that as well. Maybe shorties are better than nothing, but why be so hasty as to not wait for the right stuff? I think a long tube tuned system is better for performance, and I think we'll see something with a more reasonable price in the near future. I can wait.

Leadfoot
02-24-2003, 09:37 AM
This is from memory, so take it with a grain of salt. On Cobras, there seems to be no significant difference between short and long tube headers on naturally aspirated 4.6s. For blown engines, LTs make more hp. I don't have any data to back this up though. It would take too long to find. You can search on the Mustang boards such as www.corral.net for some data. You can also try www.mustangexhaust.com . This site has sound clips too. BTW, I think your options for H and X pipes with cats is reduced with LTs.