PDA

View Full Version : RAI edge contacting hood liner?

Svashtar
03-28-2005, 09:49 AM
Got my JLT installed and the car sounds great and seems to have more power BUT I noticed after one week that the rubber lip where the second clamp down holds the RAI to the rubber TB unit has torn a hole in the hood liner and worn away the rubber a bit.

Anyone else have any problems with this? I installed mine just as instructed, and it seems to fit perfectly.

No big, and I'll put it down to minor differences in how the engine may be fit into the engine bay or something. We're talking about 1/4" of pressure down on the lip of the rubber so the tear in the hood liner is not that bad. I am more concerned about long term damage to the bottom edge of the rubber sleeve that fits onto the TB.

BTW, here's some pics of it installed. I got the "mystic" color I think it's called from Jay, that looks green / blue / purple depending on the sun. Looks good.

Thanks for any info.

Norm

P.S. I'll edit one of the pictures to add an arrow to show the point of contact.

Tucker
03-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Have you tried to loosen the clamp and rotate the whole assy down a little?

Pat
03-28-2005, 11:28 AM
Yes, I'm experiencing this also. The RAI clamp is situtated so that it comes in contact with the felt insulation on the underside of the hood at a point where there is a crease in the sheet metal of the hood. Engine vibration probably causes the wearing action. I've put black duct tape over the area, this helps but once the tape is on you can't take it off without ripping the felt all to heck. The RAI doesn't seem to be the worse for wear.

If you decide to use duct tape be sure to mask a large enough area because the vibration will move a small strip of tape and enlarge the abraded area. FWIW.

Directedby
03-28-2005, 11:29 AM
I have the JLT and have the same problem. Basically the hood liner now has a 1" gash in it where the rubber sleeve on the TB is.

No adjustment can fix this because the rubber sleeve is too thick. Tucker, this is not an issue with the clamp.

Got my JLT installed and the car sounds great and seems to have more power BUT I noticed after one week that the rubber lip where the second clamp down holds the RAI to the rubber TB unit has torn a hole in the hood liner and worn away the rubber a bit.

Anyone else have any problems with this? I installed mine just as instructed, and it seems to fit perfectly.

No big, and I'll put it down to minor differences in how the engine may be fit into the engine bay or something. We're talking about 1/4" of pressure down on the lip of the rubber so the tear in the hood liner is not that bad. I am more concerned about long term damage to the bottom edge of the rubber sleeve that fits onto the TB.

BTW, here's some pics of it installed. I got the "mystic" color I think it's called from Jay, that looks green / blue / purple depending on the sun. Looks good.

Thanks for any info.

Norm

P.S. I'll edit one of the pictures to add an arrow to show the point of contact.

Tucker
03-28-2005, 02:09 PM
I have the JLT and have the same problem. Basically the hood liner now has a 1" gash in it where the rubber sleeve on the TB is.

No adjustment can fix this because the rubber sleeve is too thick. Tucker, this is not an issue with the clamp.In your situation the PHP intake spacer in making the issue worse for sure, but I think the others could adjust the pipe to help and change clamp position.

I apologise for the issue guys and will make sure to make a note on the new web site that there may be rubbing of the hood insulator.

I'm not sure of a fix, but will look into it.
Jay

Directedby
03-28-2005, 02:13 PM
Tucker -

You know I love the intake and have sent severl buyers your way and you are right about the PHP spacer, however, it happened before I put the PHP spacer on.

Paul

In your situation the PHP intake spacer in making the issue worse for sure, but I think the others could adjust the pipe to help and change clamp position.

I apologise for the issue guys and will make sure to make a note on the new web site that there may be rubbing of the hood insulator.

Jay

MM2004
03-28-2005, 03:35 PM
Jay,

I have the same issue, and tried adjusting the angle of the RAI by loosening the clamp holding the elbow onto the TB to no success. This is a rigid construction and am not sure what avenue to pursue at this point.
Thanks,
Click the pic for the area rubbing. Light grey area near the recessed part of the liner.
Mike.

In your situation the PHP intake spacer in making the issue worse for sure, but I think the others could adjust the pipe to help and change clamp position.

Jay

Svashtar
03-28-2005, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Glad I am not the only one experiencing the problem. I suspected the PHP spacer would make this worse, so will reconsider getting that mod now.

As you say, the hose clamp is not the problem, but the edge of the rubber. Rather than taping the hole up and having it work through again, I will probably just remove a few square inches of the hood insulation at that point and hope for the best.

Maybe I could also possibly rig up some kind of a harness to pull the filter down a half-inch or so? The downward pressure might pull on the RAI enough to bend the rubber down a bit? If the wear just reaches a certain point and then stops I won't worry too much about it I guess.

Tucker, I suspect you could fix the problem completely by reducing the thickness of the rubber that fits between the TB and RAI by about 50%, assuming it would still function that way.

Regards,

Norm

P.S. Just occurred to me that (I think) simply reducing the length of the TB to RAI rubber elbow by only 1/4" might solve the problem fine. Then the rubber edge would be further back and under the cutout in the hood. (?) Just a thought.

Tucker
03-28-2005, 04:51 PM
Well guys, I must say feel bad about the issue and hope none of you regret getting the JLT.

I have only a very limited amount of rubber elbows to choose from and it's not possiable to get one thinner or shorter.

I will keep thinking.
Jay

Svashtar
04-18-2005, 10:20 PM
Well guys, I must say feel bad about the issue and hope none of you regret getting the JLT.

I have only a very limited amount of rubber elbows to choose from and it's not possiable to get one thinner or shorter.

I will keep thinking.
Jay
Sorry, just following up on this after 3 weeks and saw your last response. I definitely don't regret getting this unit! Install was easy and the car sounds great and has more power, and the price was very fair. The liner wear is an easy trade off. My only concern was that over time the rubber elbow edge would be damaged, but so far it doesn't look any worse.

Regards,

Norm

Bradley G
04-19-2005, 04:57 AM
I guess I'll jump in,Now that it's common knowlege.

Yes mine has exactly the same issue.
It started before I got the PHP intake spacer.
The spacer raises the intake manifold a quarter inch,consequently,the hole has actually gotten larger/worse since I installed the spacer.
I am also satisfied with the results and how the CAI makes the Marauder looks performs&sounds.
I would love to get a fix for this.On another note;
Is thier a shorter conicle filter that others are using?
I though I saw a conicle filter that was about 1/2 the length of the one pictured here.
That will not solve the chaffing but it appears if you want to moddify the lower portion of the factory airbox to support the intake tube,you may need a shorter filter to fit inside.thanks for your input fellas!
Bradley G

torinodan
04-19-2005, 05:12 AM
As I said in another post: If the spacer is added it will rub more. Move the clamp all the way the end of the elbow so there's no sharp edge to cut the hood liner but a smooth surface just to rub off of during WOT. Anything taller than the PHP spacer and you'll have to use the stock air tube elbow connected to the tube. All the raised portions on the stock elbow must also be removed. This gives more flex and the stock part is thiner and at this point looks the same just no rub.

Trust me, I found out what a 1/2 inch phenolic manifold spacer will do to the hood liner with either part. Now mine no longer rubs. You can also use the elbow Tucker supplies if you trim down the bottem edge of the elbow by a 1/4" where it meets the throttle body. This will give it a more downward angle. This depends if you used the filter he supplies or use one longer or shorter. If you use the shorter one then you can do the air box mod for more support as well. And you can even use the rubber inlet tube from a Crown Vic air box so you can have a dual inlet air box. Just a few ideas for you all. Hopes this helps out with the rubbing problem. Also, removing the plastic plugs from the hood liner above the area of the throttle body and putting rubber washers under them will also raise the liner about 1/8 inch.

Bradley G
04-20-2005, 03:27 AM
Great ideas torinodan,

If you chopped a 1/4 inch of the inside of the elbow,to change the angle of the tube,would't that leave very little material(rubber) left to clamp to?
I thought of using a piece of the factory tube like you posted,... Honest!:rolleyes:
I think I like this as an attempt to correct this.
I am not too crazy about a small hole in the Factory hood liner,But if I ever get one of those fancy embroidered liners, I wouldn't like it to make a hole in it.:(
Thanks for kicking it around the noodle,:D and throwing it up for discussion!
Bradley G

torinodan
04-23-2005, 09:59 PM
Great ideas torinodan,

If you chopped a 1/4 inch of the inside of the elbow,to change the angle of the tube,would't that leave very little material(rubber) left to clamp to?
Bradley G
Not to be removed from the inside of the elbow but from the lower side (the edge) where it meets the T/B face. I tapered the the sides down on the T/B opening only to about 1/4 inch. Basicly just to push it down. The clamp will work fine to hold it all together, and unless you have have a half inch manifold spacer it shouldn't rub anymore. I'm not sure but does this help?

hitchhiker
04-23-2005, 11:12 PM

Thanks for any info.

Norm

Where did you get the heat shield and air filter cover?

Are these JLT?

Do you have part numbers?

Thanks,

David

Svashtar
04-24-2005, 12:09 AM
David, I got the info for them right here. There was a thread on "ebay heat shields" and I got the link there. I believe the heat shield is the largest made for Ford's and is for an F-350 truck. The info is in the thread and you should find it if you search for that string. The shield fits better than the pics even show, and you can put the JLT sticker on it easily. Remember also that Tucker also offers his own heat shield now. I don't think it has quite the bling of the SS one, but it also probably resists heat better, which of course is what it's supposed to do.

The prefilter info I got from the same thread. It fits the JLT filter perfectly and it can be had from Outerwears. The part # is 20-1553-03, and you can call Outerwears at 800-967-3450 to order one. List is $21.55.

Norm

Bradley G
04-24-2005, 05:34 AM
I follow your logic/instructions to correct chaffing, torinodan,but I do have the intake spacer,and I skeptical if this chaffing will be able to be corrected.We with spacer handicap may have to live with it.

Bradley G

Not to be removed from the inside of the elbow but from the lower side (the edge) where it meets the T/B face. I tapered the the sides down on the T/B opening only to about 1/4 inch. Basicly just to push it down. The clamp will work fine to hold it all together, and unless you have have a half inch manifold spacer it shouldn't rub anymore. I'm not sure but does this help?

torinodan
04-24-2005, 07:24 AM
I follow your logic/instructions to correct chaffing, torinodan,but I do have the intake spacer,and I skeptical if this chaffing will be able to be corrected.We with spacer handicap may have to live with it.

Bradley GI agree with you too about the handicap. Anyone who dosn't have a spacer, this will work for them. Once you get into the spacer thing you run out of room fast. Also putting rubber shims between the hood liner and the plastic plugs may help too.

Svashtar
06-09-2005, 12:42 PM
I agree with you too about the handicap. Anyone who dosn't have a spacer, this will work for them. Once you get into the spacer thing you run out of room fast. Also putting rubber shims between the hood liner and the plastic plugs may help too.
Dan, I guess I'm just stupid, but I just don't get what you're saying. I readjusted the RAI in the rube, not inserting it quite so much, as someone suggested, and now the edge of the rubber elbow is rubbing in a whole new area and is really getting torn up. I bought aftermarket hood insulator clips, but forget the liner, there are metal shavings from a hole in my _hood_ all over the RAI, plus both the elbow and the clamp are seriously rubbed above the clamp towards the TB.

What you describe here is my only hope. I will read what you wrote again and see if I can pick up on what you're saying, but I read it that you are saying to remove rubber from the thickness of the elbow? I don't see how shortening the bottom edge of the elbow where it meets the TB will do anything other than make the elbow not fit.

Sorry for not getting it and thanks for your help.

Norm

torinodan
06-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Tell me how things work out. Right now I'm just a phone call away from you.

Svashtar
06-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Tell me how things work out. Right now I'm just a phone call away from you.
Thanks again for all your help Dan. I am working on this tonight and tomorrow, and have several changes to make based on your input. I will let you know how it goes for sure.

Regards,

Norm