PDA

View Full Version : Yo...Windy City Marauders!

SergntMac
03-30-2005, 11:54 AM
I see that some of you have been asking about dyno tuning, and "mod friendly" dealers in the Chicagoland area. I haven't seen many answers posted, so, here's my suggestion.

I have dealt with these people personally and I am quite impressed with their performance. IMHO, these guys rock!

Sutton Ford
21315 Central Avenue
Matteson Il.
Ask for Doug Garrity
www.suttonhp.com

Sutton Ford is a "superstore" offering us just about everything we need locally, and in my case, never thisclose to home before.

"Jerry trained" Master Tech/Tuner Jerry VanDerlinde is highly skilled and very familiar with our MMs and our tuning needs. He's also the designer/builder/driver of Sutton's new '05 Mustang race car soon to be covered in a 5.0 magazine special. This Mustang is quite impressive, and it's scheduled to debut this weekend at the IRP in Indy. I expect it will see low 9s.

Sutton is a "mod friendly" FMC dealership who will treat you fair and square on warranty issues if you have any mods to your MM. They also stock Ford Racing accessories, the full line of SCT products and services, and much more. Randy Mohrbach has invited us (the Windy City MM crew) to consider holding a dyno day at Sutton. Of course, this will be open to all MM owners who wish to come, but this event will be staged for Marauder owners only. Kind of makes you feel special, eh?

I know this reads like a commercial for Sutton Ford, but I can't avoid that. I'm just trying to spread the good news that the drought on special services and accessories for Marauder owners in the Midwest has ended.

This is my own personal experience, Jerry just tuned my MM and it was a long but impressive day. Over the years, my MM has been tuned by the best of them, including Jerry W, Dennis, Paul, Lidio, and Team Ford in ATL. This Jerry is sharp, careful, detail oriented and he tunes safely. He's on top of tuning developments that continue to unfold everyday, and he uses all the latest tools and SCT software. If you need a tune, this is the place to go.

There has never been anything like this before in the Chicagoland area this side of Anderson Ford, so, if you think there is something Sutton can help you with, give them a call?

Anyone interested in this dyno day offer, e-mail me at SergntMac@aol.com?

svtguy
03-30-2005, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the info Mac. Good dealers are hard to come by. In my experience anyway. Dyno run sounds cool. I'll do it depending when and how much $.

DV82MAUI
03-30-2005, 12:44 PM
Thanks, this was definately the information that I was looking for.

Looks like I'll have a reason to visit the 'south-side'.:woohoo:

Dennis Reinhart
03-30-2005, 12:50 PM
I see that some of you have been asking about dyno tuning, and "mod friendly" dealers in the Chicagoland area. I haven't seen many answers posted, so, here's my suggestion.

I have dealt with these people personally and I am quite impressed with their performance. IMHO, these guys rock!

Sutton Ford
21315 Central Avenue
Matteson Il.
Ask for Doug Garrity
www.suttonhp.com (http://www.suttonhp.com/)

Sutton Ford is a "superstore" offering us just about everything we need locally, and in my case, never thisclose to home before.

"Jerry trained" Master Tech/Tuner Jerry VanDerlinde is highly skilled and very familiar with our MMs and our tuning needs. He's also the designer/builder/driver of Sutton's new '05 Mustang race car soon to be covered in a 5.0 magazine special. This Mustang is quite impressive, and it's scheduled to debut this weekend at the IRP in Indy. I expect it will see low 9s.

Sutton is a "mod friendly" FMC dealership who will treat you fair and square on warranty issues if you have any mods to your MM. They also stock Ford Racing accessories, the full line of SCT products and services, and much more. Randy Mohrbach has invited us (the Windy City MM crew) to consider holding a dyno day at Sutton. Of course, this will be open to all MM owners who wish to come, but this event will be staged for Marauder owners only. Kind of makes you feel special, eh?

I know this reads like a commercial for Sutton Ford, but I can't avoid that. I'm just trying to spread the good news that the drought on special services and accessories for Marauder owners in the Midwest has ended.

This is my own personal experience, Jerry just tuned my MM and it was a long but impressive day. Over the years, my MM has been tuned by the best of them, including Jerry W, Dennis, Paul, Lidio, and Team Ford in ATL. This Jerry is sharp, careful, detail oriented and he tunes safely. He's on top of tuning developments that continue to unfold everyday, and he uses all the latest tools and SCT software. If you need a tune, this is the place to go.

There has never been anything like this before in the Chicagoland area this side of Anderson Ford, so, if you think there is something Sutton can help you with, give them a call?

Anyone interested in this dyno day offer, e-mail me at SergntMac@aol.com?

If it was not for Jerry W the Marauder would never be where its at today, he got me started I owe him every thing, and he is one of the best tuners around, hands down. I told this story years ago, I was the first person in the USA to ever install a SC in a Mark 8 I lost two built motors by two other major Chip companies, I heard about Jerry and I emailed him, he said if I could get the car to Cleveland Ohio, he would tune the car. I drove all the way from Jacksonville Florida in the worst rain storm of my life, with in 45 minutes at Steve's, Jerry tuned my Mark 8 perfectly, and its still running 11.5 at over 118 MPH still today on the same motor, he was the first person to ever offer tuning for the Marauder, Logan got the very first chip from me, who would have thought we would be here today and passion for the Marauder has grown, this is one of the BEST car sites on the net Period.

03marauder
03-30-2005, 01:23 PM
I'd be interested as well, as a tune will be the next mod for my car. it does depend on the cost and date though.

MMM2003
03-30-2005, 01:28 PM
Sarge:

You've got (e)mail!

Big Joe P
03-30-2005, 02:10 PM
Heck, I'd go just to hang out......

mad man
03-30-2005, 03:18 PM
Mac were have you been . I was ready to drop this site from bordum. I for one am glad your back :D

UAW 588
03-30-2005, 05:48 PM
Finally a meet close to home. Count me in.

Slowpoke
03-31-2005, 07:05 AM
I need a dyno tune and I need it bad!

I've had several mods since the last dyno tune.....

welcome back Mac!

Lou
03-31-2005, 09:52 AM
My MM is 100% stock and I am now looking for a tune to smooth out the shift points and give it a bit more guts.

Would this include a tune?

Bradley G
04-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Any Details? Time frame? sign-up,:bounce: :cool5: :party: head count?
Bradley G

MarauderBoy
04-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Maybe a good place to bring my Fordasaurus diesel...

Badass96gt
04-04-2005, 06:03 PM
Maybe a good place to bring my Fordasaurus diesel...
Jerry the tuner there loves diesel! You can tune crazy horsepower into them.

MarkVI351
04-04-2005, 07:21 PM
they do crown vics right?

Slowpoke
04-05-2005, 06:08 AM
I called them after being urged to by Mac. Ever since my last dyno tune I've added a few mods probably causing to crappy mileage I am getting. They dont tune on the weekends so I am going to make an appointment to take the morning off and go down there and let them work some magic on Slowpoke's ride. I will report back when I get it done and I am very much looking forward to better mileage and improved perfomance. They said it takes a couple of hours - if anyone is in the area and bored they can come on out and watch me wait with baited anticipation as they work on my car. Wednesdays and Thursdays are the best days for me to sneak out of here. Maybe next week or the week after.

SergntMac
04-05-2005, 08:24 PM
- if anyone is in the area and bored they can come on out and watch me wait with baited anticipation as they work on my car. Wednesdays and Thursdays are the best days for me to sneak out of here. Maybe next week or the week after.
Pick any Wednesday that works for you, Rick, I'll meet you there. Let me know?

Guys...Y'all...The invite from Sutton Ford is for a "dyno day", typically defined as two, or, three dyno "pulls" to index your car's performance...NO TUNING occurs at any "dyno day", k?

We can do a "dyno day" easy enough, but that would be like another "meet", if this is what y'all want to do.

"Dyno tuning" is another matter, because it could take hours to dial in a perfect dyno tune. This is also possible for us MM owners, but there is a lot of work behind it.

I'm still looking into both, and I will keep y'all posted on details here.

Meanwhile, how about posting your individual wants and needs like Slowpoke has? Do you want a dyno day? Or do you need a dyno tune? This will help in negotiations with Sutton Ford.

BTW, Sutton Ford is an official SCT tuning shop that can tune any Ford product.

Big Joe P
04-06-2005, 02:49 AM
I'll tag along with you guys, Mr. President of the Windy City Marauders, and S L O W P O K E .... i don't need any work, just enjoy the fellowship...

Lou
04-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the clarification. My '04 MM is stock and I'd like a tune mainly to smooth out the shifting and to get a few more horses.

Motorhead350
04-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Hey Mac are you coming back to Da Grove this weekend? I'll be running my blown Blazer. Come witness it run something HIGHER then I predict. :D Oh I got slicks now too. Hope all the parts come in time.

Long Live #3
04-07-2005, 07:44 AM
Motorhead: when is Da Grove date?

Motorhead350
04-07-2005, 07:53 AM
I'll be there this saturday unless theres a problem. If not this weekend then next.

stevengerard
04-07-2005, 05:12 PM
if anyone is in the area and bored they can come on out and watch me wait with baited anticipation as they work on my car. Wednesdays and Thursdays are the best days for me to sneak out of here. Maybe next week or the week after.

I'd come out if I can.

bugsys03
04-07-2005, 05:38 PM
I would like a new tune. Not happy with the last one I got. :mad:

Slowpoke
05-04-2005, 07:58 AM
My appointment is Wednesday, May 11th - 8:00 am. Feel free to drop by and keep me company.

SergntMac
05-04-2005, 08:29 AM
My appointment is Wednesday, May 11th - 8:00 am. Feel free to drop by and keep me company.
Call my house when you leave home, I'll meet you there.

Big Joe P
05-04-2005, 01:24 PM
Poor me..... I'll be in Hawaii......

Slowpoke
05-11-2005, 08:18 PM
well...... today I did it! finally! I went to sutton and got me a freshly tuned car and there is a difference!

i had my car dyno tuned by jerry w quite a while back. the car ran great then. but six or eight months ago i added a PHP airbox [the one i got laser engraved] and i began to notice that my mileage got worse and worse. lately, i was getting 12-14 mpg. since i am strictly a city driver i expect low mpg but it was really bugging me that perhaps something was amiss. Mac joined me for the dyno tune this morning - he explained it rather simply: the PHP airbox lets lots more air into the engine, the computer sees more air and wants to add more gas. the tuner at Sutton [his name is Jerry too] said that indeed, the mixture was extremely rich and he leaned it out. he did lots of precision tuning taking into account all the mods i have done and boosted the power quite a bit from where it was. i added a new multiposition chip too since the reinhart chip would not work with his equipment. He spent well over two hours working on my car tweaking and adjusting things to make it perfect.

I join Mac in highly recommending these guys. Excellent shop, very nice people. Zack will have his tune tomorrow morning and he will most probably agree that these folks know their stuff.

Mac, did i miss anything?

stevengerard
05-11-2005, 08:28 PM
what time tomorrow morning? Maybe I'll stop by, sorry slo I forgot about today

Slowpoke
05-12-2005, 04:22 AM
zack will be there at 8. he will be there for at least 2 hours so you have a nice window of time to get over there.

SergntMac
05-12-2005, 06:26 AM
Mac, did i miss anything?No, you got it all covered, but I'd like to add a comment about your performance gains.

This is another example of high quality workmanship and attention to detail. 'Poke picked up a few numbers on the dyno, but single digits over his last tune, if you're into comparing RWHP/RWTQ numbers. So, if someone were to ask what was the "before" and "after" improvement from Paul's HP air box, it's nominal in the overall review of the dyno chart. However, once was all said and done, 'Poke picked up 9 RWHP and 10 RWTQ at 4400 rpm, the beginning of his power band. This is good, very good, and it makes Paul's HP kit very worthwhile. This also confirms that getting a fresh tune after adding such a mod is beneficial, there's more power to be tweaked. If you're looking for your best performance, consider a dyno tune, and Jerry VanDerlinde at Sutton Ford has become quite the professional and talented tuner. They are not cheap, but neither is this car.

Slowpoke
05-12-2005, 09:53 AM
I think Pauls HP airbox gave me even more.....

The 9 RWHP and 10RWTQ gains are the gains the tuner made from the start of the morning to the end of the session. It does not compare the numbers to before my old tune and this tune. I am sure I picked up some HP by just adding the airbox... but I did not take full advantage of the potential gains until I had it retuned. (just what you said Mac)

Maybe I got it all backwards. Who knows, I just know I am one happy camper and look forward to MUCH better gas mileage.

With regard to the cost.. I seem to recall that Jerry W chaged $150 or so for his tune and the Dyno ran another $100, give or take a few bucks... so, in fact, the Sutton tune was priced right, especially considering that he was not 'rushed' with a stack of folks waiting to get their time so I could get a custom tune, rather than a 'house program', and that he pulled a bunch of dyno runs.

....but, alas, my memory might not be right, after all, it has been a while since my original tune and my poor old slowpoke brain just doesn't work like it used to.

No, you got it all covered, but I'd like to add a comment about your performance gains.

This is another example of high quality workmanship and attention to detail. 'Poke picked up a few numbers on the dyno, but single digits over his last tune, if you're into comparing RWHP/RWTQ numbers. So, if someone were to ask what was the "before" and "after" improvement from Paul's HP air box, it's nominal in the overall review of the dyno chart. However, once was all said and done, 'Poke picked up 9 RWHP and 10 RWTQ at 4400 rpm, the beginning of his power band. This is good, very good, and it makes Paul's HP kit very worthwhile. This also confirms that getting a fresh tune after adding such a mod is beneficial, there's more power to be tweaked. If you're looking for your best performance, consider a dyno tune, and Jerry VanDerlinde at Sutton Ford has become quite the professional and talented tuner. They are not cheap, but neither is this car.

03marauder
06-13-2005, 11:27 AM
I just made an appointment today to drop my car off next Friday to get tuned at Sutton Ford. Hopefully I'll be happier with the dyno numbers after the tune than the numbers I have now.

TAKEDOWN
04-13-2008, 08:03 PM
WOW! the answer I was looking for, a little late in the game w/no regrets finally got an 03 MM 300A series with 45,000 miles stock from an ole timer. Blue collar wrkr w/family will upgrade step by step, I will definitely check out SUTTON FORD....FINALLY! Thanks for the info!!!

MM03MOK
04-14-2008, 05:23 AM
WOW! the answer I was looking for, a little late in the game w/no regrets finally got an 03 MM 300A series with 45,000 miles stock from an ole timer. Blue collar wrkr w/family will upgrade step by step, I will definitely check out SUTTON FORD....FINALLY! Thanks for the info!!!This thread is three years old.

Bigdogjim
04-14-2008, 08:33 AM
See Bunny someone used the search button :rofl:

Bradley G
04-14-2008, 10:15 AM
I remember shorty after this tune the owner needed a motor.
Good luck with your tune.
I just made an appointment today to drop my car off next Friday to get tuned at Sutton Ford. Hopefully I'll be happier with the dyno numbers after the tune than the numbers I have now.

Zack
04-14-2008, 10:22 AM
I remember shorty after this tune the owner needed a motor.
Good luck with your tune.

What a crap comment.
Sutton Ford is top notch.

Da Dark Jedi
04-14-2008, 04:25 PM
SuttonHP is sponsoring the Chicagoland mustang meet next week in Schaumburg. Go out there and talk to them directly.

Bradley G
04-15-2008, 05:12 AM
Crappy or truth?
Actually so did John, "Too many Fords" scatter his motor at GLD, same day he had his car dyno tuned @ Sutton Ford.
From you Zack ? Mr., "Tell it like it is".

What a crap comment.
Sutton Ford is top notch.

Da Dark Jedi
04-15-2008, 05:45 AM
Before we go down this street, "Too Many Fords" should chime in and tell his side of what he thinks really happen. I know both you guys was there, just TMF never gave his point. John are you out there! Oh, can someone post the link to the story, it's here somewhere. That should spread some light.

Zack
04-15-2008, 05:56 AM
Crappy or truth?
Actually so did John, "Too many Fords" scatter his motor at GLD, same day he had his car dyno tuned @ Sutton Ford.
From you Zack ? Mr., "Tell it like it is".

There is no point in making this into an argument Brad.
Cars with 475rwhp have blown up before unrelated to a dyno tune.
Sheesh!

Da Dark Jedi
04-16-2008, 07:36 AM
Both you guys are right, to an extent. TMF did have much done to his car as far as tune back then. Also BUCKWHEAT had his done in the same month, never seen a post about him blowing a motor. Below is a quote of what he planed on doing.

TMF "I booked Tuesday October 4th for a dyno tune over at Sutton Ford. We're going to dial it all in without NOS first, then compare pulls with the cut-outs and if we have an extra hour, they'll finish with the giggle gas tune". This was 9/23/05. I'm almost certain SuttonHP has made a few changes in their program for our cars.

So there's no "Argument" just no right or wrong on the subject. And SuttonHP are tuning some of the Cobra stangs around Illinois, check the boards.

Tunes have come a long way since 9/05 which is what Brad "maybe" was refering to. And we are talking about a NA Marauder aren't we? Man, a three year thread is getting more juice!

TooManyFords
04-17-2008, 06:05 AM
I posted a whole thread call "ProRauder down but not out" (search is your friend) and everyone can re-read it.

Mine blew because of crappy gas. I blame nobody.

Besides, look what I have because of it... I couldn't be happier!

TAKEDOWN
05-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Has anyone recently gone to SUTTON FORD HP and how did they like it? Don't know if the staff are the same or should I request a certain mechanic on their team? I'm scheduled for tues, they're installing K&N CAI, 4:10's, and SCT TUNE.

Da Dark Jedi
05-19-2008, 02:41 PM
You'll be OK... Let us know how you like the sevice and staff there.

TAKEDOWN
05-24-2008, 09:25 PM
You'll be OK... Let us know how you like the sevice and staff there.

Guys were very cool, they took me back showed me how to use sct tune, let my son sit inside Jerry's beast of a Mustang, almost got to meet Zack, but missed him by a couple of minutes. An all out...good time! No complaints!