PDA

View Full Version : rear end gears,4.30 ratio

greggtsr
02-24-2003, 11:33 AM
I was wondering if any of you guys might have put 4.30 gears in a MM.I'd like to go with 4.10's,but if i can have more i will.You can never have enough.can you calibrate it for the 4.30'sThanks

Logan
02-24-2003, 04:06 PM
With a chip, yes, you can program the 4.30's in.

I wouldn't hesitate to put 4.30's in it, it'd actually even probably be a better choice after doing the number crunching on it...

tetsu
02-25-2003, 06:15 AM
LOL! I was suggesting 4.33s early on!! I feel vindicated now
that Logan is with me! :)

Everyone pull out your wallet! Time to upgrade those 4.10s!

Johnny

SergntMac
02-25-2003, 12:56 PM
I guess it comes down to being fast, or being quick, and what you want the car to do.

4:33s will cut top end, again, as well as push up against your 6000 RPM ceiling much sooner in the run, as well as some mild impact on MPG. But what a launch, eh?

The 4:10s are still the best choice for the over-all comfort/performance program, where you can make these performance mods, and still see an improvement in MPG, as long as you keep your foot out of it. I'm sure this is a strong consideration for some here.

Either way is good, just know what you want the car to do before jumping forward. Depending on how other mods work out for me, there may be a set of slightly used 4:10s available soon.

prchrman
02-25-2003, 01:28 PM
Duh me, will the 4.10 alone produce spin from dead stop/wot?

LincMercLover
02-25-2003, 08:55 PM
Still got boys wanting to spin 'em... :shake:

prchrman
02-26-2003, 04:18 AM
Just wanting to hit the power band---ok ok and yes a puff of burnt rubber--big block past--

Colin
03-02-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by LincMercLover
Still got boys wanting to spin 'em... :shake:

What's wrong with that?

Colin

TripleTransAm
03-03-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by SergntMac

The 4:10s are still the best choice for the over-all comfort/performance program, where you can make these performance mods, and still see an improvement in MPG, as long as you keep your foot out of it. I'm sure this is a strong consideration for some here.

Actually, it is a strong consideration for me. Lots of miles per day, thanks to dropping off Jr. at the grandparents for the day and picking him up again at night after work.

So, is it a big improvement in MPG? I could probably swing this past the missus on that argument alone (although she has enough trouble smoothly launching my torquey GTA with 3.23s, I wonder what internal damage I'd suffer as she tried to finesse a 4.10-equipped Marauder???)

89lxbill
03-04-2003, 03:19 AM
I suggest the stall convertor and 4.10 gears for those smokey burnouts :) As for gas mileage, forget it. The convertor will kill it.

FordNut
03-04-2003, 09:10 PM
Not sure I understand why the mileage would necessarily suffer with a TC change. Could you explain? Anybody out there running one of the Stallion TCs that have checked for a difference in fuel economy? From the posts I've seen it seems that the mileage should be better if any different at all. If it creeps forward at idle instead of just sitting there it sounds like it should be more efficient than the oem unit.

CRUZTAKER
03-05-2003, 03:58 AM
oh Mac................

SergntMac
03-05-2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by 89lxbill
I suggest the stall convertor and 4.10 gears for those smokey burnouts :) As for gas mileage, forget it. The convertor will kill it.

You're absolutely right, 89, your MPG will drop through the floor, because you won't be able to keep your foot out of it.

However, if your brain can ignore your butt's begging for a tug, and keep that right foot feathering the throttle grandpa style, your mileage should improve, or at the very least, balance out the slight decrease in MPG from adding the 4:10s. In fact, all of the Stage I and II mods working together and properly tuned, intend to deliver more power to the base goal of moving a heavy car. Drive her right, and you burn less fuel to accomplish that, and that could deliver better MPG and lower emissions. It's all in how you drive.

prchrman
03-05-2003, 02:23 PM
Has anyone out there put the 4.30s or even the 4.56s in yet...and if so...give us some info on results...