PDA

View Full Version : 4.10s and chip reburn

RF Overlord
02-24-2003, 04:16 PM
Still leaning towards getting the 4.10s done, but instead of sending my chip back for a re-burn, didn't I read somewhere that there's a 23-tooth drive gear that will correct the speedo, or is there more to the reburn than just correcting the reading?

Murader03
02-24-2003, 08:18 PM
Good Point! But isn't the input from the tranny electronic vice a manual gear? I know my '99 Cobra was a gear, but it was a manual tranny also. I'd still send it back to wherever and have it reprogrammed for the 4.10's. Anybody got the Shop Manual and can look this up? My $.02s!

FordNut
02-24-2003, 08:22 PM
If so, it would certainly be cheaper than the chip but you wouldn't get the biggest benefit I've noticed from the chip: the shifting improvements.

That is, if you don't already have a chip... I just re-read your stats and see you've got one, must be a 3.55 program.

LincMercLover
02-24-2003, 08:55 PM
Speedo is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module, which monitors/changes many variables throught the vehicle. A simple speedo cable gear swap isn't in the works for our MM's.

martyo
02-25-2003, 04:00 AM
RF: The reburn is like $75 or something. Wouln't it just be easier to send it back to Dennis and let him work his magic (reflash the chip) rather than screwing around with the gear (even if it could be done that way)?

SergntMac
02-25-2003, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
Still leaning towards getting the 4.10s done, but instead of sending my chip back for a re-burn, didn't I read somewhere that there's a 23-tooth drive gear that will correct the speedo, or is there more to the reburn than just correcting the reading?

Bob, I think the easy way out here, is to contact Dennis @904.276.5003. I already know I need a re-burn on my chip because my AFR is too lean. Our plan is to wait untill all my mods are complete, and he'll send me a fresh chip, and I'll return my original. Though this requires that I "buy" a new chip and get a "refund" on the first chip, it minimizes my down time and seems the less painless way to make a chip correction.

You may want to call Kenny Brown too @ 317.247.5320. I remember from a long while back, that he has another way to correct a speedo, but I don't clearly remember the method. Something about a "baker box" (or something like that) that attaches to the tranny. They wanted 200. back then, just for speedo correction, and that's when I decided to work with Dennis.

PS. added after post.

Go to www.reinhartautomotive.com and scroll through his performance parts section, and you'll find a pic of his custom built 4R70W trans. You'll see a speedo connection, and I believe this is where the aforementioned "baker box" (or whatever it's called) interfaces with the tranny and corrects the speedo. F.Y.I. y'all

RF Overlord
02-25-2003, 06:33 AM
Thanks for everyones responses...I wasn't sure if that was a viable alternative to being without my chip for a week or two :depress: , but if, like Sarge mentioned, I can buy another one already set, and return my original for credit, that's an excellent compromise...now I just have to get the damn gears DONE... :rock: