PDA

View Full Version : How to polish rims...???

Todd
04-14-2005, 07:18 PM
I just bought 2 rims from a ebay seller and had them shipped to Lidio to widen.

I got them back and they look great. They do have some car wash brush marks like any wheel on a daily driver has ever gone through a car wash... But I was told that before I ordered them so I expected that. You have to be very close to see them and even at that I am sure they will polish out.

What I want to ask is what do you all use to polish wheels..????

I assume these have some sort of clear coat on them. My plan is to wash them with soap/water. Then use a 3m adhesive remover to get the tape residue off from where I guess the 'wheel widening guy' taped off the front edge to protect it. Then use my Porter Cable random orbital with a little super fine polish to polish them up nice. Then a couple coats of wax, and off to hunt for a deal on tires...!

Let me know your experiences....

DEFYANT
04-14-2005, 08:02 PM
Soapy water to clean and Nu Finish wax to shine them up.

NEVER USE THE SAME CLOTH USED ON RIMS TO WASH THE PAINTED SURFACES

wchain
04-14-2005, 08:17 PM

I got them back and they look great. They do have some car wash brush marks like any wheel on a daily driver has ever gone through a car wash... But I was told that before I ordered them so I expected that. You have to be very close to see them and even at that I am sure they will polish out.

I assume these have some sort of clear coat on them. My plan is to wash them with soap/water. Then use a 3m adhesive remover to get the tape residue off from where I guess the 'wheel widening guy' taped off the front edge to protect it. Then use my Porter Cable random orbital with a little super fine polish to polish them up nice. Then a couple coats of wax, and off to hunt for a deal on tires...!

Let me know your experiences....

The wheels are clearcoated, using metal polish on them will remove the clearcoat and they will oxidize quick, since it will be 'raw' polished aluminum....

MARAUDER S/C #5
04-15-2005, 03:37 AM
Zaino.....................;)

twolow
04-15-2005, 06:01 AM
Windex cleans everything.

423REED
04-15-2005, 01:29 PM

Let me know your experiences....HI TODD!
The Marauder wheels were special forged aluminum wheels by ALCOA aluminum, that were polished using a special ALCOA process and then clear coated. Take it easy on the buffing and do not use any metal polishes, such as Semi-Chrome or Flitz. I would wash them thoroughly, and then wax them just like you would do with your paint on the body. A lot of people don't fully realize that clear coating is a paint, and as such it needs to be washed and waxed. I would also avoid using harsh or strong chemical spray wheel cleaners. Our Marauder wheels are really gorgeous, and with some regular TLC they should last a long, long time. The only thing that annoys me a little, is that ALCOA/FORD only polished/clear coated the outer 1/2 of each wheel. If you look inside each slot, you'll see the line between polished and unpolished. Why does FORD always have to go cheapo on everything they do?
JIM
______________________________ ____
2004 MARAUDER 300A - DTR
1994 TAURUS SHO - DK GREEN

DeadVic
04-15-2005, 01:56 PM
you should consider using one of two products prior to applying polish and then wax.

I use Mequires step 1 which takes out any stains/VERY small imperfections in clear coat.

Or, you could use the 3M swirlmark remove but i would be VERY VERY careful about that stuff. I have mixed results and typically only use with a random orbital polisher. given the tight space that isn't practical here.

it just depends upon how aggressive you need to be to get the scratches out.

jgc61sr2002
04-15-2005, 01:59 PM
I tend to agree wash and wax is the way to go as long as the clearcoat is intact.

TechHeavy
04-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Windex cleans everything.
Are you Greek?? (No offense...) lol. :D

twolow
04-15-2005, 02:28 PM
Are you Greek?? (No offense...) lol. :D
LOL! No, I just got back from a week long time share seminar hosted by Windex.

j/k!