PDA

View Full Version : Umm...

SergntMac
02-25-2003, 05:36 AM
This looks interesting, but I don't know much about it. Just another gadget? Or, something useful? What do you think?

http://www.gtechpro.com/products.html

LincMercLover
02-25-2003, 06:29 AM
Oh yah, I've seen those. Measuers your 0-60, 1/4, 1/8, 0-100, etc... Haven't seen that brand though, but for someone who doesn't have the "room" to tell what their times are, makes for a good little device.

MAD-3R
02-25-2003, 06:54 AM
From my understanding, they work pretty well. Not as good as a track, but if aligned corrected, will deliver consistant numbers.

Logan
02-25-2003, 07:46 AM
I've used one, they're pretty damned accurate.

Wags
02-25-2003, 08:32 AM
The one that I used was always within .1 if I didn't mess up the start. They are pretty good. My buddy is within .05 to .1. I'll bring one on the 9th if I can get ahold of my friend.

Wags

Leadfoot
02-25-2003, 09:57 AM
I have read that the hp it calculates is close, but not accurate. The change in hp it calculates is reasonable. In other words, if you want to see how much hp gain a mod will give you, you can measure hp before and after and have a fairly good idea.

Mark [N4OGL]
02-25-2003, 11:06 AM
How do these things claim accuracy? Doesn't the mere shift of the unit against the suction cup skew the numbers? It would seem to have some bias unless mounted firmly to the platform (like an optical fifth wheel, for example).

SergntMac
02-25-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Mark [N4OGL]
How do these things claim accuracy? Doesn't the mere shift of the unit against the suction cup skew the numbers? It would seem to have some bias unless mounted firmly to the platform (like an optical fifth wheel, for example).

That was my question as well, Mark. The suction cup seems conveinent, but I tend to think that a more "firm" mount would produce more accurate numbers. Maybe velcro-ed to the dash in some way. What I do like, is the ability to download data to a PC, and I think it may be worth the 250. Just wasn't sure if it's a toy or not.

prchrman
02-25-2003, 11:37 AM
Having worked with G forces, motion detection and force in general, it would be easy to have a internal filter in the unit to eliminate any "noise" caused by the suction cup or other things such as bumps in the road, etc.. Engineering equipment can be produced to perform as this equipment has claimed with extremely accurate results.

marauder1
02-25-2003, 12:44 PM
I questioned their accuracy too, but I got one about a month ago and it gave me almost the exact same times as my local track.:coolman:

Billatpro
02-25-2003, 01:39 PM
The suction cup mounting is far more stable then you might think, this one looks like a tri mount which is highly stable. As Willie Anglin said, internal filtering or "signature" compensation is common.

It is similer to the thermocouples on the headers of top fuel funny cars and dragsters. When energized by the electircal they emit a "trace signature"which then becomes the base line. The computer then compares the departure signature to the trace signature and produce's a value. Quit simple actually. There is a lot more going on here but thats it in a nut shell

Billatpro
02-25-2003, 10:33 PM
Is anyone buying one of these?

JamesHecker
02-26-2003, 01:16 AM
I think I will. I am going to the Open Track Racing day at Willow springs in a couple of weeks and I was just thinking about trying to find out about this device as I had heard of it on this or another board.

May not be as accurate as a dyno, but should serve my purpose.

I'll let you know how I like it.

JamesHecker
02-26-2003, 01:26 AM
Well...I did it. I should have it in three to five days. I ordered the "competition" model.

I'll try it out at the track on March 12th.

Shortly after that I should be having the supercharger, gears, T/C, driveshaft, and brakes installed. Then I 'll take it to the track again in April.

CRUZTAKER
02-26-2003, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by Billatpro

The comp model seems interesting, and since I don't have a track at my disposal, It seems my only way out. But ANOTHER $235? My wallet is getting lighter each day.

SergntMac
02-26-2003, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Billatpro

Yeah, Bill, I think I'll be getting one. When it comes to critical facts, one cannot replace a dyno. But, this looks like a neat tool for keeping an eye on things, or try out some personal adjustments where a dyno is not cost effective, such as air filters, tire pressure and so on.

I've had eight dynos on my MM now, checking and re-checking the facts behind these upgrades and mods, and that bench time adds up. But, once the facts are established, anyone can get one of these thingys, and do their own testing for comparasion. It appears that the accuracy is "close enough for police work"...LOL

The web site seems a bit stale on some stuff, mentions a software upgrade I'm not sure about. Also, the FAQ section is telling, if those are real FAQs, I wonder about quality control and durability. Guess I'll call first, see what's up.