PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Auto tune

03marauder
04-19-2005, 01:05 PM
I purchased the Xcalibrator from Alternative Automotive last Thursday. Just got the package in the mail yesterday. Took five minutes to install the program. I have to say that I am very happy with the purchase. The difference is amazing, night and day. I haven't had a chance to open it up yet on the expressway, had to sit in traffic this morning, maybe going home tonight. But, I did take it up to 50 or so and the shifts are so much better. I should have made this mod a long time ago.

Fast4Door
04-19-2005, 07:08 PM
I coudn't agree more.

As I've said to Lidio, "This turned my Marauder into the car I thought I was buying in the first place."

I did mine almost a year ago. It truly makes the car fun to drive all year 'round.

Bradley G
04-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Wait till you drop the hammer @60 and count to five and look down at 90:eek:

Be Careful with your new found power!And turn off you overdrive button First:D
Bradley G

03marauder
04-20-2005, 05:38 AM
I realized the new found power last night going home on the expressway. Cruising at 55 in some light traffic, got an opening and punched it. All of a sudden it was at 90, had to back off pretty quick. It was quicker than I had realized.

Mard
04-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Now I've had the Lidio tune installed for a couple weeks, I'm on the fence whether to go forward with 410 gears or not.

The car is so much more enjoyable to drive. I think my gas mileage has dropped though. Not sure if that's the operator or the tune.

grzellmer
04-20-2005, 12:13 PM
Now I've had the Lidio tune installed for a couple weeks, I'm on the fence whether to go forward with 410 gears or not.

The car is so much more enjoyable to drive. I think my gas mileage has dropped though. Not sure if that's the operator or the tune.

I suspect the the gas mileage culprit was your right foot.

shakes_26
04-20-2005, 08:30 PM
I've been runnign Lidio's tune for the NA, stock gear MM for about two months now. Ive recorded some less than stellar MPG figures. I didn't buy his tune for stretching the miles, I bought it for performance and drivability.

I got both those and then some. I also got some of the best service from a Tuner/Speed shop.

My numbers, as low as in the 13MPG range city, 16.8 hway, are partly due to my driving style, you cant expect 23MPG at @#$ mph (speed blanked out to protect the innocent...well to protect me anyhow).

My only change request would be to lock up the torque converter a a lower speed, around 50mph, would be my call.

there's my .03 worth

Sully008
04-20-2005, 10:42 PM
I can't wait until I get my Xcalibrator!! From everyone's positive results, it looks like I made the right choice in "Calibration" experts. Although I'm not looking forward to the lower mpg because of my heavy right foot. Ah, if I wanted fuel economy, I woulda bought a diesel. :D

Lidio
04-21-2005, 08:33 AM
Hey guys

Thanks for the good words on the tune I offer for the MM's.

From every thing I've seen and heard, the MPG is not bothered by our tune on the HWY and is still good in town with conservative drving. They key thing that makes the MPG in town drop a little is the converter not locking as much as stock. But thats one of the key things that makes our tune wake up a stock MM or one with only a few bolt-ons and a maybe a gear. If you want or request it, I can make the converter lock earlier in 4th gear, but I assure you guys, you wont like it.... especially if it doesnt have a 4.10 or bigger in the axle.

Thanks again for the support!!!!

Sully008
05-04-2005, 08:53 PM
Today, the man in the brown van came and dropped off my Xcalibrator at work. I couldn't wait until I got home to change the programming, so I did it in the parking lot. Took all of 3 minutes. Started it up, rapped the throttle twice, it already felt like a different beast.

Had a chance to drive it more tonight. Gone are the crappy factory shift points at part throttle. I can actually get the rear tires to slip from a dead stop now!

The first time I had it at WOT, the 6100 rpm shift freaked me out a little (I've never had a car that shifted so high). The 1-2 shift hits HARD. I was up to 140 km in a heartbeat, and it kept pulling.

Next up is the 4.10 gears. It's still a little sluggish off the line (of course, with 4400 lbs). And probably a CAI of some sort.

Lidio, do I need to retune if I add a CAI? I should've asked that question before.

Many, many thanks to Lidio and BillyGman. Lidio for the awesome tune for our cars, and Billy for being the "middleman" and keeping my head straight when it comes to performance stuff. :bows: :bows: :bows:

Now, to win that S/C raffle....

Lidio
05-04-2005, 09:05 PM
Today, the man in the brown van came and dropped off my Xcalibrator at work. I couldn't wait until I got home to change the programming, so I did it in the parking lot. Took all of 3 minutes. Started it up, rapped the throttle twice, it already felt like a different beast.

Had a chance to drive it more tonight. Gone are the crappy factory shift points at part throttle. I can actually get the rear tires to slip from a dead stop now!

The first time I had it at WOT, the 6100 rpm shift freaked me out a little (I've never had a car that shifted so high). The 1-2 shift hits HARD. I was up to 140 km in a heartbeat, and it kept pulling.

Next up is the 4.10 gears. It's still a little sluggish off the line (of course, with 4400 lbs). And probably a CAI of some sort.

Lidio, do I need to retune if I add a CAI? I should've asked that question before.

Many, many thanks to Lidio and BillyGman. Lidio for the awesome tune for our cars, and Billy for being the "middleman" and keeping my head straight when it comes to performance stuff. :bows: :bows: :bows:

Now, to win that S/C raffle....

At this time the CAI kits are not adversly afecting the A/F ratio like some are claiming. I havent seen this. Just slap one on and go. My favorite is the K&N even though its a few bucks more. Cleaner, smoother and it puts a very efective bell mouth at the front of the MAF.

Have fun and get some 10's in that axle ASAP.

Rider90
05-04-2005, 09:07 PM
At this time the CAI kits are not adversly afecting the A/F ratio like some are claiming. I havent seen this. Just slap one on and go. My favorite is the K&N even though its a few bucks more. Cleaner, smoother and it puts a very efective bell mouth at the front of the MAF.

I'm with Lidio and just about everyone else on the issue, 4.10s are a MUST! Really woke my car up. Like I've said before, probably too many times, think "RPM 'G' Spot."

Sully008
05-04-2005, 09:14 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, Lidio. I'll be playing with the CAI idea this weekend, and I'll do some searching for a more than competent person to do the gear swap.

Rider90: I hopefully will be joining you in that RPM "G" spot soon. :beer:

jjaguda
05-04-2005, 09:19 PM
My only change request would be to lock up the torque converter a a lower speed, around 50mph, would be my call.

there's my .03 worth
I have the stock Lidio tune in my '03 and a modified Lidio tune in my '04 that drops the TC lock up to 50-55. Down here in sleepy New Orleans, this works better for me since the average speed on the interstate in 55. since I can't go any faster the all the "Driving Miss Daisey" folks in from of me, I figured the TQ may as well be locked.

Thanks again to Lidio.

jstevens
05-05-2005, 04:21 AM
As you can see from my signature, I have the chip/4.10 and CAI.

It is the perfect "package" to wake this thing up, except of course a s/c.

Bradley G
05-05-2005, 04:35 AM
You see by my sig,All I have is the basics,4;10's Lidio's tune, JLT CAI, and PHP spacer.My ET's are down! 1.1 sec. and + 4 mph ( headlamp removed, cool temps).

The only way to fly!:D
Bradley G

Sully008
05-05-2005, 07:53 AM
You see by my sig,All I have is the basics,4;10's Lidio's tune, JLT CAI, and PHP spacer.My ET's are down! 1.1 sec. and + 4 mph ( headlamp removed, cool temps).

The only way to fly!:D
Bradley G

Looks like the intake and 4.10s are next on the list for me. :beer: 14.1 with such minor mods to me is really good. How much did removing the headlamp reduce your time by? Just want to ballpark what I might be seeing on the road (with headlamp still in).

Bradley G
05-06-2005, 09:46 PM
I got .5 seconds better ET than the last time I raced,Same mods, just pulled the headlamp,(thanks Barry)temp was 20* cooler than previous track outing,And the track prep was as good as IRP@ MVII.

Pro-comp was racing that day, they are all business:eek:
If you change gears, You will have to reflash EEC or buy a tuner to change speedo calibration.Cruzetaker claimes the headlamp removal is worth a tenth reduction in ET's.Your results may vary!:D
Bradley G

Looks like the intake and 4.10s are next on the list for me. :beer: 14.1 with such minor mods to me is really good. How much did removing the headlamp reduce your time by? Just want to ballpark what I might be seeing on the road (with headlamp still in).

snowbird
05-07-2005, 05:19 AM
I also use the Lidio tune since a couple of weeks and I'm too very pleased with the results. The car feel a couple hundreds pounds lighter and i don't have to manually shift in second, on city hills with heavy traffic. I have an apointment next tuesday for a 4.10 and Auburn install. This should also lighten up the car again.

The family of happy customers is growing.

Sully008
05-07-2005, 07:10 AM
I got .5 seconds better ET than the last time I raced,Same mods, just pulled the headlamp,(thanks Barry)temp was 20* cooler than previous track outing,And the track prep was as good as IRP@ MVII.

Pro-comp was racing that day, they are all business:eek:
If you change gears, You will have to reflash EEC or buy a tuner to change speedo calibration.Cruzetaker claimes the headlamp removal is worth a tenth reduction in ET's.Your results may vary!:D
Bradley G

Thanks for the time, Barry. I had Lidio do a second program for the 4.10s so I'm ready to rock. :banana2:

Snowbird: Congrats on the S/C purchase. You're one lucky guy! I guess I can be the 2nd S/C'd MM in Canada (after I win the raffle, of course. :D )

Bradley G
05-07-2005, 04:39 PM
I had Lidio do a second program for the 4.10s so I'm ready to rock(quote)
good thinking!:coolman: you get x-tra points for planning ahead!:trophy:
Bradley G

khc3
05-17-2005, 07:40 PM
Is it possible to get this so it works with 4.30's?

Glenn
05-17-2005, 08:05 PM
I have the SCT tune, PI TC, 4:10s among a bunch of other mods, handling and engine. I just completed a 1,500 mile round trip and my best tank was 21+ mpg at 75-80 mph and several WOTs to closed course permitted speeds. At one punch going down a hill my front bra nearly came off. I had to tighten it up. Gears and a tune do not reduce your mpg very much at highway speeds.

I debated for nearly a year before I got my 4:10s and was amazed at the tremendous pick-up off the line (the TC helped too).

Glenn

Joe Walsh
05-17-2005, 08:08 PM
My favorite is the K&N even though its a few bucks more. Cleaner, smoother and it puts a very efective bell mouth at the front of the MAF.

Hey Lidio, any chance of buying/adapting that 'bell mouth' to a non-K&N CAI kit??
Can you post a picture of the 'bell mouth'?
I assume that it smooths out the incoming airflow like the old K&N 'StubStack' for Holley 4 bbl carbs...

Lidio
05-17-2005, 08:34 PM
Hey Lidio, any chance of buying/adapting that 'bell mouth' to a non-K&N CAI kit??
Can you post a picture of the 'bell mouth'?
I assume that it smooths out the incoming airflow like the old K&N 'StubStack' for Holley 4 bbl carbs...

I'm not sure if they'll sell it alone or if it will fit other CAI kits. I've never tried it.

Sorry

mpearce
05-17-2005, 08:36 PM
I've got the K&N cold air kit as well as Lidios SCT tune. The K&N looks absolutely fantastic, and it's very solid, and sturdy, it doesn't move at all even with my big ass tugging on it. WOT sounds very beefy, and I'm impressed with the new found power. You can't go wrong with Lidio, and these mods. I'll post more soon.

-Mat

Lidio
05-17-2005, 08:36 PM
Is it possible to get this so it works with 4.30's?

No problem with 4.30's too.

worksuxxx
05-18-2005, 06:08 AM
Got my tune from Lidio on monday. Drove a couple miles Monday evening and to work on Tuesday. Could tell a big difference. More I drive it the more impressed I am with the tune. I changed to 410's a couple months ago w/o the tune, though I could tell a little difference from dead stop, speedo was off and shift points were worse. Do not even contemplate doing 410's before the tune. The tune is a must, and very much enjoy driving the MM now. Looking at doing pullies and cai next.

A big thanks to Lidio!!

EbonyMarauder03
05-30-2005, 04:59 AM
I just got Lidio's tune Friday. Loaded it Saturday morning. Went for a nice long ride Sunday. I can feel the car is different. I don't think mileage was affected at all. Those of you in Pa. would know that a trip from North Wales through Boyertown and back through Quakertown is a hike and I only used less than a 1/4 tank. I'll know more when I go to work and I'm familiar with the same ride. I also need to find a spot to powerbrake and launch. :hmmm: :burn: :drive:

O's Fan Rich
06-12-2005, 12:01 PM
Installed the K&N CAI and did the flash tune, total time 45 minutes. Would have been less, but the 5mm bolt for the air conditioner muffler is not long enough!
Had to go digging in my pile o' bolts to get a replacement.

Have driven 180 miles since..... it's like a new car. LOVE them shift points.

Now to save up for the 4:10's.

Skiordie53
06-12-2005, 01:38 PM
Installed the K&N CAI and did the flash tune, total time 45 minutes. Would have been less, but the 5mm bolt for the air conditioner muffler is not long enough!
Had to go digging in my pile o' bolts to get a replacement.

Have driven 180 miles since..... it's like a new car. LOVE them shift points.

Now to save up for the 4:10's.
how do i get one of these whats the cost i want one for my 04

Skiordie53
06-12-2005, 01:40 PM
How do I order one whats the cost, sounds just like what i need to wake up my stock 04

Sully008
06-13-2005, 12:27 AM
How do I order one whats the cost, sounds just like what i need to wake up my stock 04
If you're talking about an ECU reflash, check out Lidio's site: http://www.alternativeauto.com/

All the info you need to make an informed decision. Believe me, just the change in shift points makes it worth it.:beer:

O's Fan Rich
06-13-2005, 06:05 AM

Give them a call 586-463-0010. They'll give you the 411.
Ordered late on Tuesday, got it on Friday.

oldekid
06-13-2005, 06:30 AM
Give them a call 586-463-0010. They'll give you the 411.
Ordered late on Tuesday, got it on Friday.You won't be disappointed. :beer:

QWK SVT
06-13-2005, 04:53 PM
If you're talking about an ECU reflash, check out Lidio's site: http://www.alternativeauto.com/

All the info you need to make an informed decision. Believe me, just the change in shift points makes it worth it.:beer:
Sully008 - Any problem's getting it to cross the border? Did you get hit with "brokerage fees"?

Sully008
06-13-2005, 09:21 PM
Sully008 - Any problem's getting it to cross the border? Did you get hit with "brokerage fees"?

Lidio was a little apprehensive about shipping to Canada. There's a lot of hassle to get it across the border. I respect his business decision. BillyGman was gracious enough to be my "middleman" in the whole thing. I had Lidio send it to Billy and Billy shipped it to me. I paid for all shipping and yes, I got smacked with brokerage and duty fees. And poor Billy had to fill out a ton of paperwork to get it to me. All in all, it was a little bit of work, but definately worth it. Trust me, it is a different car with the tune.

T.O. is close enough to pay Lidio a visit, isn't it? It might be easier to cross the border, get it installed , and head home. The tax man will never be the wiser. Another thing to consider is Wes @ Innovative also carries the Xcal w/Lidio's programming. He ships to Canada. I've ordered stuff from Wes as well.

QWK SVT
06-14-2005, 06:13 PM
Lidio was a little apprehensive about shipping to Canada. There's a lot of hassle to get it across the border. I respect his business decision. BillyGman was gracious enough to be my "middleman" in the whole thing. I had Lidio send it to Billy and Billy shipped it to me. I paid for all shipping and yes, I got smacked with brokerage and duty fees. And poor Billy had to fill out a ton of paperwork to get it to me. All in all, it was a little bit of work, but definately worth it. Trust me, it is a different car with the tune.

T.O. is close enough to pay Lidio a visit, isn't it? It might be easier to cross the border, get it installed , and head home. The tax man will never be the wiser. Another thing to consider is Wes @ Innovative also carries the Xcal w/Lidio's programming. He ships to Canada. I've ordered stuff from Wes as well.
I placed an order for an XCal2, today. I'm really looking forward to the difference, but have patiently sat back, knowing the XCal2 was coming out.

Lidio mention previous experiences... I've had a few myself. You wouldn't believe the paperwork required, to have a part sent south for "repair" (had supercharger ported), and the returned :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm about 5-hours away, from me. Problem is, I want it soon, and it would be at least three weeks before I could actually head down. When I thought about it, driving there and back would see me go through about $100 is gas... More or less a wash, with what I'll pay the gov't in taxes.

Now, I just have to contain myself, 'til it arrives ;)

Lidio
06-14-2005, 08:22 PM
Hey Guys

We've been going to the regular post office to ship small things to Canada latley and its working out to be much easier over all and way less paper work.

Thanks and glad to hear our tune is working out for you guys.

QWK SVT
06-15-2005, 07:19 PM
Hey Guys

We've been going to the regular post office to ship small things to Canada latley and its working out to be much easier over all and way less paper work.

An upside for us Canucks... When an item is sent via USPS/CanadaPost, the brokerage fee is ~$10. UPS / FedEx can charge 6 - 8 times that much. If you can mail it to a secure location (i.e. not left sitting on your front step) and don't need it overnight, regular mail is usually a much less costly option...

69 Resto-Mod CP
06-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Hey guys..

I just installed my ALT. AUTO tune. It's way FUN!! It's the way the car should have come from Ford.:burnout: :burnout:

4.10's next.....LOL

00 Aggie
06-25-2005, 09:43 AM
Hmm, intereesting, I may have do this too.

Lidio do you also carry the K&N CAI also?

jstevens
06-25-2005, 09:59 AM
Yes, I purchased and had Lidio install my chip/4.10 Ford gears/K & N CAI kit.

It is the perfect combination for this heavy of a vehicle.

Tallboy
06-25-2005, 02:46 PM
Yes, I purchased and had Lidio install my chip/4.10 Ford gears/K & N CAI kit.

It is the perfect combination for this heavy of a vehicle.
The difference between a stock MM and one with these mods is friggin' amazing! You're gonna love it!:burnout:

Lidio
06-25-2005, 05:41 PM
Hmm, intereesting, I may have do this too.

Lidio do you also carry the K&N CAI also?

Yes, we've had to get $260.00 for them. In my opioning the K&N is the best looking, fitting and performing one of them all.

Thanks

QWK SVT
06-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Hey Guys

Lidio, a box was waiting for me in the office, yesterday morning. It actually got there last week, while I was working offsite. (Wow! That was quick) Just wanted to let you know that there were no problems with it crossing the border, and no additional costs for me (like duty / tax), the way it was shipped.:up:

PS - I'll post thoughts seperately, but I'm as pleased with the program, as I am with the service (which means VERY) :up:

oldekid
06-30-2005, 06:03 PM
I just picked up my MM from a local Mustang performance shop after a gear change.

When I dropped my car off yesterday, I asked them if I should reflash for the 4.10s before they changed the gears out or if they wanted me to wait until afterwards. They started questioning me about the tuner I had, until I mentioned the name Lidio. At that point they just said something to the effect that I had nothing to worry about, and said they would reflash it for me once the job was done. They had obviously heard this name before. Well, that made me feel pretty good.

Something very strange happened when they called me to tell me that my car was ready. It seems that another fellow had brought in a Ford Lightning to have some performance work done, and they said he had my same name, first and last. I don't have a common name, and that was just one hell of a coincidence.

Anyhow, the Lidio 4.10 tune seems to be working out just great. The shifts are perfect. I am in the break-in period for the gears, and can't really punch it right now, but in a couple days that won't be the case. The speedo seems to be working correctly, but I do want to see it move much further over to the right. . . . . . :2thumbs:

Can't wait for WOT time!

Lidio
06-30-2005, 09:03 PM
Lidio, a box was waiting for me in the office, yesterday morning. It actually got there last week, while I was working offsite. (Wow! That was quick) Just wanted to let you know that there were no problems with it crossing the border, and no additional costs for me (like duty / tax), the way it was shipped.:up:

PS - I'll post thoughts seperately, but I'm as pleased with the program, as I am with the service (which means VERY) :up:

Enjoy it (Tune and Gears) till your next move on the MM. A good tune and a 4.10 are trully where to start on a MM for the best bang for the buck I always say, and I know many agree.

Thanks

Tallboy
07-01-2005, 05:35 AM
They started questioning me about the tuner I had, until I mentioned the name Lidio. At that point they just said something to the effect that I had nothing to worry about, and said they would reflash it for me once the job was done. They had obviously heard this name before. Yep. When the talk turns to tuning, dropping the name "Lidio Iacobelli" is like throwing down four Aces and lighting a cigar...:bows:

BLMMCO
07-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Lidio, I'm very interested in your tunes. I live in Colorado . What kind of tune would you recommend for elevations between 6000' an 9000' ? Would you be able to prepare a tune for my 03' Marauder (stock) ? I live in the mountains and my elevation here is 9100' . I commute 35 miles each way to work. Elevation at work is 6000'. Car runs great in town and very sluggish at home. I think ,I could definately use your help. THanks

Cobra25
07-10-2005, 06:58 AM
Lidio is one of the best tuner's in the Country, I'm sure anyone that get's a tune from him will be very happy.

Lidio
07-11-2005, 06:28 AM
Lidio, I'm very interested in your tunes. I live in Colorado . What kind of tune would you recommend for elevations between 6000' an 9000' ? Would you be able to prepare a tune for my 03' Marauder (stock) ? I live in the mountains and my elevation here is 9100' . I commute 35 miles each way to work. Elevation at work is 6000'. Car runs great in town and very sluggish at home. I think ,I could definately use your help. THanks

At this time I dont have a tune set up just for high altitude conditions. All I can do is have you try my normal every day MM tune thats more aggressive then stock with timing and of course many other things as well.

As long as you can hopefuly get 92 or better octane fuels, we could experiment with more timing to help more with that thinner air.

Thanks