PDA

View Full Version : 2003 MM Exhaust on a '96 Grand Marquis

1 BAD 03 MM
04-21-2005, 06:19 PM
I just peeked under the car and it looks like a pretty simple swap. Anyone know if anybody has done this.

Picked up a '96 Grand Marquis (4.6L SOHC) at an auction for $1200.00. Needs about $500.00 in front end (body) parts. Only has 53,000 on the ticker, grey leather, and clean as a whistle. Looks like grandpa didn't even drive it in the rain. Undercarrage is spotless, pipes, frame, everything is clean. Pic of engine below, remember it's a '96. Stock with single exhaust the little 281 puts out 190 HP and 260 Ft/lb.

GM Plans: Put MM Dual Exhuast (add 25 HP+-, 25 Ft/lb), MM Limited slip differential with 3.55's (it has a 2.73 gear now :razz: ) and a Superchips 1725 Tuner (18 RWHP (Approx. 22 at flyweel, 26 RWTQ (Approx. 32 at flywheel).

This puts it right around.... 190+25+22=237 HP - 260+25+32=317 Ft/lb. I know these are optimistic number, but work with me here. SOHC has much better torque down low, anyone who owns both DOHC and SOHC knows what I'm talking about. And with the 3.55's, it should be a real sleeper. ;)

Looking for some MM wheels on e-bay to put on it. If not I'll just paint the center spokes on my '93 Crown Vic wheels and swap those on. Oh yeah, an of course it's gettin' painted BLACK. :D

MM Plans: Obiously this leaves work to be done on the MM. Cat back exhaust with Flowmaster Super 40's, Eaton Posi with 4.56 gears. :burnout:

Sidenote: I'm putting this together so when the wife wants to drive the MM, I'll still have a BIG BLACK car with some giddy-up to suprise the rice boys. ;)

Joe Walsh
04-21-2005, 06:25 PM
I'm not sure if I'd spend a lot of time/$$ on the Marauder dual exhaust, as the duals on a CVPI are bigger diameter than the Marauders.
Now if you are talking about the Marauder's 'MEG' tips then you can't beat them for bling!

Rider90
04-21-2005, 06:26 PM
I had a 99 vic with 3.55s, dual borla exhaust, and it was SOHC. Yes the SOHC is much better down low and I think this is very swappable (exhaust.)

1 BAD 03 MM
04-21-2005, 06:31 PM
I'm not sure if I'd spend a lot of time/$$ on the Marauder dual exhaust, as the duals on a CVPI are bigger diameter than the Marauders.
Now if you are talking about the Marauder's 'MEG' tips then you can't beat them for bling!

I hear ya, hoping to not spend any money on the MM exhaust going into the GM. I have a friend who welds. Looking at the flanges, it still comes out of the motor dual, has the flanges like the MM, and then necks down AFTER the flanges to a single exhaust. And the tips......ah the tips......... :D

Merc-O-matic
04-21-2005, 07:43 PM
I have a 1997 Grand Marquis LS with "handling package"
has everything the Marauder has except the motor and rear end.
Dual exhuast with 3:27 rear end. 210 HP Marauder exhuast should be
a perfect fit.
I'm not sure if you can use the the 18" marauder wheels?
the wheel well (lip) is smaller on the Grand Marquis...(16" wheels)
with "handling package" Mine has the lacy spoke wheels which
really make the car!

Gotta Love It! :P

Mattsmerc
04-22-2005, 07:36 PM
i have the manifolds, cats,mufflers, sway bar,OEM tips. if you need any thing make an offer

fastblackmerc
04-22-2005, 07:43 PM
i have the manifolds, cats,mufflers, sway bar,OEM tips. if you need any thing make an offer
I have my original 3:55's for sale. 15,000 miles on 'em.

'03BlkMM
04-22-2005, 07:56 PM
If you get 25 hp out of the exhaust/tuner combined you'll be doing good. Expecting 47 hp out of just those 2 mods is unrealistic. The handling/susp package that adds the dual exhaust on those cars didn't add 25 hp and I don't think the marauder exh wiil add anymore to it. You need to add the PI intake/cams + exhaust +tuner and you should be getting closer to your goal of +47hp.

jaywish
04-22-2005, 09:17 PM
The wheels will be a problem.

The offset is different for starters. Getting past that I bought a set of Marauder Rims from a fellow who had bought them to fit his 99 GM and found that the rears had interfearence with the brakes.

Check out the fit with your MM rims first, before buying a set.

You may need a spacer to make it work.

I'm not positve on the year to year issue but, the wheel openings in 03 and 04 are the same across the model line, not different for the MM.

Jay

1 BAD 03 MM
04-22-2005, 09:44 PM
The wheels will be a problem.

The offset is different for starters. Getting past that I bought a set of Marauder Rims from a fellow who had bought them to fit his 99 GM and found that the rears had interfearence with the brakes.

Check out the fit with your MM rims first, before buying a set.

You may need a spacer to make it work.

I'm not positve on the year to year issue but, the wheel openings in 03 and 04 are the same across the model line, not different for the MM.

Jay

I appreciate the info. I will stick with the '93 Crown Vic wheels for now. It's cheap, um, I mean, FREE. :D

1 BAD 03 MM
04-22-2005, 09:58 PM
If you get 25 hp out of the exhaust/tuner combined you'll be doing good. Expecting 47 hp out of just those 2 mods is unrealistic. The handling/susp package that adds the dual exhaust on those cars didn't add 25 hp and I don't think the marauder exh wiil add anymore to it. You need to add the PI intake/cams + exhaust +tuner and you should be getting closer to your goal of +47hp.

and a dual exhaust system that raises the standard 4.6-liter V8's output by 20 hp--is installed.

taken from the following link. http://www.internetautoguide.com/reviews/45-int/fullsize-cars/mercury/grand-marquis/1996/

I found this same info on other sites. I believe the MM system is probably a little better flowing than what came on the GM with the HPP, and if not, it sure looks a hell of a lot nicer. :D

This link is to Superchips power gains list. Scroll down to Crown Vic, or down to Grand Marquis 1996-2003

http://www.superchips.com/html/products/ford/modules.htm

Like I said I know this is probably optimistic, but I'm fairly sure it will be more than 25 HP between the 2 mods. I say lets split the difference and call it 36 HP. This still puts it at right around 225-230 HP. Not bad for 300.00 (Excluding the replacement parts for the MM of course. :D )