PDA

View Full Version : Ready for Mods

JamesHecker
02-26-2003, 02:25 AM
I have a Ford dealership that is going to do all the mods for my Marauder. I am meeting with the service writer and one of the techs this week to go over all of the things I want to accomplish.

This is my list as of now. I would appreciate comments and suggestions.

1) Moonroof by ASC with Town Car roof console.

2) Vortech supercharger with intercooler.

3) Gears 4:10’s or 3:90’s. Flash chip for speedo.

4) Reinhart driveshaft with loop.

5) High stall T/C (and shift kit?).

6)Brakes with larger rotors, slotted and drilled, polished calipers. Baer or KVR?

7) Upgraded speakers. (I have seen some informative posts here to refer to)

8) On Star like system.

9) Mufflers (what is the best choice for a throaty growl without a constant drone)

If anyone has any recomendations as to anything else I should be considering to improve handling, performance, or streetability, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks!

CRUZTAKER
02-26-2003, 03:48 AM
With a wallet THAT deep, why not just buy a Kenny Brown in the first place??????

SergntMac
02-26-2003, 05:44 AM
I agree with the Cruz, that's a lot of independent upgrades, the KB-S is the car for you. But, since you asked for advice, here ya go.

I'd think twice about a shift kit, the chip and torque converter should be enough. But, if you want the best, Reinhart has a custom 4R70W build for racing.

Does your Ford guy know what he's doing with the S/C install? I understand that's a fairly tricky overhaul, 120 some new parts, lots of things to consider, and I'd be surprised to find that talent at a dealership. Oh yeah, possible, but I'd check some credentials first.

None the less, if you're gonna blow it, overhaul the exhaust system front to back. Long tube, H pipe (or X, either way) Flowmasters, and so on, you know the drill.

Now that you going this fast, I'd do the BaerClaw kit on all four corners, drilled and zinc washed, red calipers. Also, check out Sean Hyland's site for suspension kits, he's got some good ideas laid out.

Happy motoring, keep us posted?

FordNut
02-26-2003, 07:16 AM
1. If you like a hole in the roof, go for it. I don't but the wife insists on one that's my main holdup in getting her to swap the LS for another MM.

2. Hold off until a kit is available for the MM.

3. Get 4.10s from Ford or a Ford Motorsports reseller. If the 3.90 is available for the 8.8" I haven't seen it and Ford doesn't list it. Get a chip to correct speedo and improve shifting.

4. Probably a good idea. I may do it also, especially if I find vibrations after the 4.10 swap.

5. I'm not sure about the shift kit. Most claim that the chip will do everything a shift kit will. However, I found a product by Diablo I'd be interested in trying. It's an ac***ulator valve which increases pressure for better shifting.

6. Good idea, but I'll wait a bit until KVR and other possible competitors provide options.

7. Yes, but they might drown out the sweet exhaust sound. Seriously, I think I'll go with JBL.

8. Personal preference here. Several postings here about various GPS systems. I would rather get a good alarm system for theft prevention and use a cell phone. The Ford aftermarket (add-on) alarm system is just now getting out to the shops. I'll be getting one soon but only after they have been proven reliable and have all the options I want (activate/de-activate with keypad even without key fob).

9. Good comments found on Magnaflows, some find flowmasters too loud. Personally I would try and stick with all stainless exhaust so you don't have to mess with it in the future. A complete exhaust system upgrade may be a good idea, especially between the 2nd cats and the mufflers where it's 2" rather than the 2-1/4" like the rest of the system.

Leadfoot
02-26-2003, 09:42 AM
7) Try http://www.mustangexhaust.com . There should be several sound clips to hear (I haven't checked it out myself). Flowmasters don't have the hp gain as some of the flow thrus like Borla. I have an X pipe and Borlas and love the sound. Everyone who has heard it tells me the same. The X pipe has been described as an exotic (think Ferrari) sound and an H pipe has been described as a "big block" rumble sound.

Bigdogjim
02-26-2003, 10:07 AM
JamesHecker: Sounds like a plan. (in detail) I tend to agree with the Sarge,& CRUZTAKER
check with Kenny Brown. Only you know what the plan you have put forth will cost. Balance that against KB.
Any way you go you will one HELL of a ride!
Big Dog

JamesHecker
02-26-2003, 10:19 AM
Thanks for all of your replies.

As usual this community is a wealth of information.

I am going to compare this plan to Kenny Brown. I think I will save a substantial sum of money over the KB package. I don't plan on using cheap stuff, but I think I can do what I want for a lot less than $17,000.00.

I'll look into several of your suggestions and I'll keep you "posted".

Thanks again!

MAD-3R
02-26-2003, 10:25 AM
Remember that the KB also does handeling upgrades, and the new Tires.

JamesHecker
02-26-2003, 11:24 AM
Right, the handling and the tires are missing from my plan. I'm thinking I can do without it. Still not sure.

RF Overlord
02-26-2003, 11:30 AM
Lookit what's in Mr. Hecker's sig:

2003 Mercury Marauder
2002 Mercury Sable LS
1997 Mercury Cougar XR7
1997 Mercury Villager Nautica

hm-m-m-m-m-m....

MAD-3R
02-26-2003, 11:32 AM
No, not the,... the,... DREADED SABLE?!?!?!?!?

:lol:

jefferson-mo
02-26-2003, 11:50 AM
With that much power(the MM..not the Sable) you MUST upgrade the tires, brakes AND suspension:burnout:

especially here in SoCal(you know what I mean):rasta:

jefferson-mo
02-26-2003, 11:55 AM
get the KB.........you won't regret it:burnout:

prchrman
02-26-2003, 11:57 AM
Mercury, Mercury, Mercury, Mercury...Mr. H must own a dealership or he is the worlds best repeat buyer...way to stick to your guns...have you raced the sable and mm?

LincMercLover
02-26-2003, 12:08 PM
You're a lucky man to own the all mighty :bows: Sable! Why not supercharge it?
:lol:

Macon Marauder
02-26-2003, 12:15 PM
My guess would be the Sable needs no supercharger!

JamesHecker
02-26-2003, 06:31 PM
All the stuff I listed that I will be doing to the Marauder... I already did to the Sable!

Turns high 10's.

I just want my Marauder to be able to keep up!

JamesHecker
02-26-2003, 06:32 PM
Oh... and don't get me started about how fast the Villager is!

BODYMAN
02-27-2003, 11:04 AM
Jim, I know you will do the math on all the mods I did and my car is now at KB. after doing the math and factoring the fact they have done alot of mustang cobras w/ our motor I elected to go w/ KB the diff after adding everything up was not very much you have to factor in the upgraded fuel system to. Do the math you will see what I mean.

Todd

prchrman
02-27-2003, 11:27 AM
There goes a family man/he drives a mini van...kids gone,van gone...