PDA

View Full Version : View of Mercury improving

RCSignals
02-26-2003, 09:38 PM
New Mercury models look promising

By Paul Lienert / Autos Insider
Paul Lienert

I've been a disbeliever for so long, it's hard for me to admit that Ford Motor Co. may finally be on the right track with its long-abused Mercury brand.

After decades of mishandling and confusion, the Ford planning hierarchy is emerging from the Dark Ages with what seems like a reasonable game plan and some solid products.

I specifically cite two new models that were touted at the recent Chicago Auto Show -- the 2004 Monterey minivan and the 2005 Montego sedan -- as examples of the brand's potential resurgence, provided the marketing department doesn't bungle the launch and long-range positioning.

I've never been convinced that Mercury had much future as a "youth brand." Rather, the name seems to have some decent resonance with older buyers, particularly those who remember when Mercury had its own distinctive designs and was more clearly a step up from the Ford brand.

I know I've poked fun at Ford for its alliterative nameplates resurrected from decades past. But Monterey and Montego are relatively strong names that are closely associated with Mercury, and they seem to fit the products.

As for the designs, I have to credit J Mays, Gerry McGovern, and their team for creativity under the most extremely penurious conditions.

Although the basic sheet metal doesn't look that different from the Ford models from which they're derived, the Monterey and the Montego look crisp, clean, contemporary and distinctive, at least from the front three-quarter view.

The new interiors are classy, and product development boss Chris Theodore's blueprint to separate the Mercury brand with larger standard engines and more features makes eminent sense.

Some strategic credit should also go to former Mercury marketing manager Elena Ford, who has since moved on to larger horizons.

It all makes so much sense that I'm amazed nobody thought of this strategy earlier. Let's hope Ford will give future products more unique and differentiated sheet metal, as it did earlier with the Mercury Mountaineer and the Ford Explorer and as it continues to do with the Mercury Grand Marquis and Ford Crown Victoria.

I'll withhold judgment until I've seen how Mercury executes its 2004 version of the Ford Escape and its future derivatives off the Mazda6 platform. But so far, the new look and the emerging game plan to resuscitate the brand look promising.

Let's-Beat-the-Dead-Horse-

One-More-Time Dept.: Regular readers probably recall my bias against such catchall terms as "crossover" and "sport wagon." But one of the test vehicles sitting in my driveway this week -- a new Infiniti FX35 -- surely qualifies as a "sport wagon."

It's parked next to a new Volvo XC90, which is just as clearly a "sport utility vehicle," even though it's a close cousin to the Cross Country.

What else qualifies as a "sport wagon"? I'd say the new Dodge Magnum, which looks more like a wagon than anything else. And the Cross Country, as well as the Audi Allroad. The Mazda Protege5, too.

When I think of the term "sport wagon," I don't necessarily believe that implies all-wheel drive or any sort of off-road capability. A Chrysler Pacifica is not a sport wagon; a Ford Freestyle is a sport wagon.

At least that's how I think real consumers will see these new vehicles. We'll know soon enough.

You can reach Paul Lienert at plienert@globalauto.net.