PDA

View Full Version : orbital buffer question

MERCMAN
05-01-2005, 07:17 AM
Having two black vehicles, I am pondering the possibility of purchasing an electric orbital polisher. I have seen a few at home depot, auto parts stores, on- line etc. I looked at a Ryobi 6 in,, plugged it in and thought "Hmmm, this thing sure does spin fast". Is there a certain speed I should look for, and does using these things make one take a chance on burning the paint?

I enjoy the time spent hand waxing and buffing, but as I said with 2 Black vehicles, I don't really have the time to keep both of them "show-room" shiny.
BTW, I use NXT from Maguire's. so no comments from those who use Zaino, I know that would negate the need for a buffer :)

Also what size would be best? Is larger ALWAYS better?( No smart azz comments about that) :rofl:

Thanks!!!!! :up:

fastblackmerc
05-01-2005, 07:39 AM
Having two black vehicles, I am pondering the possibility of purchasing an electric orbital polisher. I have seen a few at home depot, auto parts stores, on- line etc. I looked at a Ryobi 6 in,, plugged it in and thought "Hmmm, this thing sure does spin fast". Is there a certain speed I should look for, and does using these things make one take a chance on burning the paint?

I enjoy the time spent hand waxing and buffing, but as I said with 2 Black vehicles, I don't really have the time to keep both of them "show-room" shiny.
BTW, I use NXT from Maguire's. so no comments from those who use Zaino, I know that would negate the need for a buffer :)

Also what size would be best? Is larger ALWAYS better?( No smart azz comments about that) :rofl:

Thanks!!!!! :up:

I have a 9" orbital buffer from Sears. The only problem is I should have gotten the 10".

SergntMac
05-01-2005, 07:56 AM
Here's what I use, Dan, and it's great. Guaranteed not to burn the paint, and it floats across the car effortlessly. This is the best auto buffer I have ever used, and anyone local to me is welcome to give it a test drive.

http://detailking.goemerchant1.com/index.cgi?PageToView=catalog&Department=74898&Cartid=23721114959177&Merchant=detailking&ExpandedDepts=

Todd
05-01-2005, 08:00 AM
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10625

The Porter Cable is about the best on the market in my opinion.

Griots Garage has one of the few plastic pad adapters (instead of metal) and they sell the pads with varying densities based on what you are doing.

If you go to the link above you will see the orbital and to the right links to the different pads with descriptions.

I have used one for years, and everyone that ever asks I recommend this specific one. It is a few dollars more expensive but your paint is not the place to skimp.

Plus they have a 100% unconditional guarantee. I have returned things years later for either a exchange or refund.

jdando
05-01-2005, 08:31 AM
I also have the Porter Cable PC 7424. It is great!

I got mine here http://www.properautocare.com/porcabpolac.html

Here are the results http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/7911/size/big/password/bcf8f366df3fd2ecfa34078d4377cf 76/sort/1/cat/500

It is easy to use, not too scary and relatively idiot proof. I did "practice" on my wife's car before using it on the Marauder :o I also got a couple of the microfiber bonnets which are great for taking off wax.

jeremy

Mikeenh
05-01-2005, 08:55 AM
I use the Porter 7424. That's the one Griots is showing. I don't think you can hurt your paint the way it works.
Do a GOOGLE search on "Porter 7424" for the best price.
The one Sarge shows sounds interesting.

JeffGrice
05-01-2005, 03:19 PM
PORTER!!!!

I bought one recently and did the black MM....great job.

I have used the low-end types...no compariaions.

Shop for the right pads online....several detailing sites sell pads for all types of uses.

Jeff

Gunslinger
05-01-2005, 04:16 PM
I've got swirls in the paint from the monkeys that my dealer employed to "clean" my car before I took delivery. As I read about the PC 7424 from proper auto care I'm seeing that it won't remove swirls and they recommend the 7428. Has anyone had experience with the 7428, specifically in removing swirls or otherwise.

Mike Poore
05-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Having two black vehicles, I am pondering the possibility of purchasing an electric orbital polisher. :up:
Dan, I've had several. The best one, by far, is the Porter Cable. I got mine through Meguiars on a special, last year. Check out their website they may still have 'em. What convinced me was Brutis' black MM, he swears by the Porter Cable, and I've never seen a black car look better. I give it :2thumbs: