PDA

View Full Version : More on the glovebox dampener

RCSignals
02-26-2003, 11:56 PM
As has been discussed, the Order Guides state the car has a "dampened" glovebox door. (for CV/GM/MM)
For previous years the dampener was a hydraulic type device, a piston in a cylinder with a cord attached to the side of the door. this made he door open (and) close in a controlled manner and gave a feeling of "quality"

The 2003 no longer have this part. Instead they have added a spring to the hinge, which only really "snaps" the door closed. In fact it doesn't allow the door to open well at all.

I took the issue up with my dealer, and they were able to convince Ford to supply a dampener. They argued that the Order Guide shows it, and even though the fine print says Ford can make changes, they should have informed me of the change at the time of or shortly after my order.
(this might also apply to the MM stand alone dash clock etc)

Anyway, to make the dampener work properly, the hinge spring must be disabled or removed.

The part number is F5AZ-5406102-AH

Colin
03-02-2003, 12:07 AM
You're a pestering little mutha ****a aren't ya? :D That damn glove box has really been pissing you off, I'm glad to see you got the issue resolved.

Colin

RCSignals
03-02-2003, 12:37 AM
Colin.........:P

CRUZTAKER
03-02-2003, 06:53 AM
I am saving this one for when I have absolutely run out of things to harrass the dealer about.
:)