PDA

View Full Version : Fine mist of concrete on car. Clay bar?

Alan
05-01-2005, 01:14 PM
I was on my way to work earlier this week and noticed a semi up ahead with what appeared to be a fine mist of smoke/dustcloud coming from the rear. No big deal. I move over before coming up on him and begin to pass him. Imagine my horror when I discover that what I thought was a fine mist of smoke/dustcloud is a very fine mist of water with what appeared to be concrete. My heart sank as I tried to run my wipers with washer fluid while exiting the freeway at my exit and the crud wouldn't come off my windshield! I knew my paint was in trouble at that point. The mist was so fine it appeared to be smoke. Needless to say, at highway speeds on a hot Texas morning...the water evaporated quickly leaving tiny spots of what I believe is concrete. It could be something else, of course, but not sure what it is. It's not paint. That much I know.

I carefully washed a small spot upon arriving at work. The normal dirt/road grime came off, but left the small spots on the paint. You can feel it when you rub your hands across the paint. My car now looks as if the black paint has small light grey specks.

Before proceeding and going past the point of no return by doing something wrong, how do you think I should remedy the situation?

Clay bar?
WD40?
Mineral spirits?

Logan
05-01-2005, 01:39 PM
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=507561

Alan
05-01-2005, 02:42 PM
Well just who in the heck knew that common household vinegar would do the trick! Thanks Logan.

(I guess that shouldn't stop me from getting a clay bar! Any excuse will do.)
;)

MarauderMark
05-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Well just who in the heck knew that common household vinegar would do the trick! Thanks Logan.

(I guess that shouldn't stop me from getting a clay bar! Any excuse will do.)
;)

Heh vineger is also good for sun burn as well ..i didn't know for concrete though..:up:

SergntMac
05-01-2005, 04:26 PM
Well just who in the heck knew that common household vinegar would do the trick!
Me!

Me! Me! Me!

I!, I!, I!

Me...I...This guy here > SergntMac < on this site, SergntMac@aol.com too. Write me? I'm used to hate mail from stupid people...

This dude, that dude ^ there, right up here, this one crazy old fart, all alone and by himself out in left field, who told everyone here over two years ago, to go buy a bottle of ordinary household vinegar, and use it to remove odd scum and soap residue from their precious clear-coated Marauder paint without worry. Yeah, me!

My Lord, you would have thought I pointed a rifle at the President!

I rinse my Marauder after every wash with a 50 percent solution of warm water and vinegar. It's .79 a half gallon here, can't be much more than this in your back yard. I won't repeat every reason why I do this here, it's your thread. However, I will enjoy a moment of being right, they seem so few lately...

I've posted my opinion of vinegar as a car/paint tool several times now, only to get scathing replies here and via e-mail about how vinegar is some kind of "acid" that's more dangerous and damaging than taking a deep breath anywhere in America today. That it will eat paint and our clearcoat, and tarnish our Meg's tips and wheels...Gawd. Such uniformed crap!

As far back as MV-I, Ennis TX., where I "brazenly" washed my Marauder in the Waffle House parking lot, with Dawn dish soap, and later rinsed it all away with household vinegar solution "in a public theater," where everyone could "see my sin." Choke, gag..."R U 4 real?" Yes, and one of them so real, he quit us...What ever.

Enough of my "rant against the detail" machine, vinegar works, and it works as good at cleaing our clearcoated surfaces and glass, as Zaino works to shine it. What you see after the fact, is what you own, and if you think that sucks, buy a new paint job, eh?

MM03MOK
05-01-2005, 04:52 PM
As far back as MV-I, Ennis TX., where I "brazenly" washed my Marauder in the Waffle House parking lot, with Dawn dish soap, and later rinsed it all away with household vinegar solution "in a public theater," where everyone could "see my sin." Choke, gag..."R U 4 real?" Yes, and one of them so real, he quit us...What ever.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63 10

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63 11

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63 12

CBT
05-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Holy cow! It removes suntans, too!! :D

SergntMac
05-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Okay, that's it!

Mary, you have outdone yourself, signed your own death warrant you have.

Watch out for over-weight black 4 door sedans lurking about your home, waiting to pounce on you. I feel them all around me, they are here and everpresent. Those who believe I have sinned against our almighty black paint and clearcoat.

Wish I could help you, Mary, but it's best that you call Tommy Lee Jones now. He does so well in loser disaster films...My TV guide says so!

MM03MOK
05-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Hey! I was just sharing the illustrated step-by-step dilution process. And WHO wanted to pose with the vinegar to begin with!!
:thinker: :neener: :run:

Okay, that's it!

Mary, you have outdone yourself, signed your own death warrant you have.

Watch out for over-weight black 4 door sedans lurking about your home, waiting to pounce on you. I feel them all around me, they are here and everpresent. Those who believe I have sinned against our almighty black paint and clearcoat.

Wish I could help you, Mary, but it's best that you call Tommy Lee Jones now. He does so well in loser disaster films...My TV guide says so!

MERCMAN
05-01-2005, 08:41 PM
I ain't a lawyer or nothing,, but all I see is Mac putting vinegar into the bucket,, how come there are NO pics of him putting it on the car??? :rofl:

Can I get a ruling from the members???

dwasson
05-01-2005, 09:00 PM
You can also mix it with olive oil and make the base of a good salad dressing.

teamrope
05-01-2005, 09:20 PM
You can also mix it with olive oil and make the base of a good salad dressing.

It also works as an organic grass and weed killer. :)

teamrope
05-01-2005, 09:53 PM
*Serious note* We have hard water up here that leaves nasty water spots. I'll have to give it a try.

cyclone03
05-02-2005, 05:46 AM
Holy cow! It removes suntans, too!! :D
:D :D :banana2: :) :beatnik: :banana:

Alan
05-02-2005, 07:45 AM
SergntMac,

I rinse my Marauder after every wash with a 50 percent solution of warm water and vinegar.
Thanks for the mixing tip. I'll give it a go!

I won't repeat every reason why I do this here, it's your thread.
You won't hurt my feelings if you share. There is no "me, my, mine" as far as I'm concerned. We can all learn something here and I, for one, am willing to listen to whatever you have to say. Experience beats youth every time!

SergntMac
05-02-2005, 08:18 AM
Okay, seriously now, all kidding aside.

Soap (of any brand) leaves a residue behind, and this residue collect dust and dirt almost immediately. No matter how much you rinse the car, a film will remain. Wash the car with a solution of vinegar and warm water, and rinse again. I think you will see an immediate difference, and feel that as you towel/chamois dry. It's great on our wheels and tips too, streakless. If you use a leaf blower, instant spotless drying, try it. Whether this strips wax or not, I would imagine it depends on the wax, but it leave you with one clean car.

teamrope
05-02-2005, 08:35 AM

Soap (of any brand) leaves a residue behind, and this residue collect dust and dirt almost immediately. No matter how much you rinse the car, a film will remain. Wash the car with a solution of vinegar and warm water, and rinse again. I think you will see an immediate difference, and feel that as you towel/chamois dry. It's great on our wheels and tips too, streakless. If you use a leaf blower, instant spotless drying, try it. Whether this strips wax or not, I would imagine it depends on the wax, but it leave you with one clean car.

Makes sense to me... It's comon knowledge it leaves windows streak free.
:)

CBT
05-02-2005, 08:46 AM
At the risk of sounding completely stupid (which I am not afraid of..) does the vinegar smell linger?

Sully008
05-02-2005, 08:47 AM

SergntMac,

I've heard vinegar being used as a cleaning solution before, but I've never tried it on a vehicle. I'll have to try it on the car this week.

Gotta love this site! :beer:

LordVader
05-02-2005, 12:53 PM
:beer: ME TOO!!!

SergntMac,

I've heard vinegar being used as a cleaning solution before, but I've never tried it on a vehicle. I'll have to try it on the car this week.

Gotta love this site! :beer:

MM03MOK
05-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Group buy on a gallon of vinegar!!

the_pack_rat
05-02-2005, 01:24 PM

Yea really.

$1.58 a gal ?!?!!?!?!?.

That's just too rich for my blood.

:lol:

teamrope
05-02-2005, 08:03 PM

Delivered by black cars :D

jgc61sr2002
05-02-2005, 08:07 PM

Is that 93 octaine. :D

Captain Steve
05-02-2005, 10:02 PM
Is that 93 octaine. :D
Heh, at least he's not telling us to put it in the tank with the acetone to improve gas mileage :)

MENINBLK
05-02-2005, 11:24 PM
Heh, at least he's not telling us to put it in the tank with the acetone to improve gas mileage :)

Well....

If it cleans the paint, I can't wait to see what it does for the injectors !

Alan
05-04-2005, 04:03 PM

SergntMac,

I wanted to publicly thank you for your wisdom. I am happy to report that your vinegar trick did indeed work. I first washed the car then applied your method. However, I didn't have enough vinegar to do a true 50/50 mix...but it did work. My mixture was somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 part vinegar to 10 parts water, but it still worked, even in the hot southern mid-day Texas sun! I will improve my method of application and buy more vinegar to get a better mix next time. I ended up having to wipe down the car just a little with an old t-shirt in order to make up for the lack of vinegar/water mixture.

From a southern LEO to a northern LEO...thank you, sir!

SergntMac
05-04-2005, 04:09 PM
SergntMac...From a southern LEO to a northern LEO...thank you, sir!
You're welcome, sir. Don't worry about the 50/50 mix, adjust to taste?

At the risk of sounding completely stupid (which I am not afraid of..) does the vinegar smell linger?
Not that I have ever noticed, but you may get an urge for a salad...

Haggis
05-04-2005, 05:23 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63 12

Forget the vinegar...nice legs Mac. :whistle:

Agent M79
05-09-2005, 05:26 PM
Has anyone figured out if it also strips wax?

SergntMac
05-10-2005, 06:15 AM
Has anyone figured out if it also strips wax?
I can't say, but wouldn't this depend on the wax?

I know it takes my wax off, but I'm not using anything exotic or expensive, in fact, I don't think of it as "wax" much at all. After a wash, I add a coat of Turtle Wax Express Shine, wipe on wipe off, drive away.

Agent M79
05-10-2005, 07:18 AM
I can't say, but wouldn't this depend on the wax?

I know it takes my wax off, but I'm not using anything exotic or expensive, in fact, I don't think of it as "wax" much at all. After a wash, I add a coat of Turtle Wax Express Shine, wipe on wipe off, drive away.
Hmm. I'm no chemist so I don't know if different wax compounds would respond differently.

I've been using Zaino, may try NXT. If she wasn't driven daily and kept outside 24-7 I might go the waxless route but I need every advantage I can get.

During the summer like this I may wash her 2 or 3 times a week. Hate to have to redo the wax that often. A good coat or 3 of wax will last all season long and help keep the sticky stuff from sticking so much.

Then again if vinegar will take it off anyway.... I am getting that "chasing my tail" feeling.

Woof.