PDA

View Full Version : Some Mustang Drag Racing Updates...

Lidio
05-02-2005, 09:16 PM
This past week end I attended the NMRA Ford race in Martin Michigan. Unfortunately I didn’t take my Marauder to this one. My Mach-1 has never been to an event of this nature and is very unknown still to most of the Mustang community. So I brought it and the shop 05 Mustang GT which is still running consistent 13.0’s in the ¼ Mile.

The news that I wanted to announce or brag about is that the Mach-1, which its totally uncrompimised in any way, weighed in at just over 3700lbs this weekend and from the out side looks totally stock with the exception of the widened rear rims and 315 drag radials…. Ran an unbelievable 10.58 @ 130 mph!!! just the way it goes down the road. I cant stress enough how totally ungutted and uncompromised this car is. I actually joke with people and say that I haven’t even pulled the spare tire out of the car for weight reduction. In fact I don’t even know if its there, I never looked.

It still has all of the stiff, stock suspension with only replacement rear lower control arms. The torque converter, trans, rear gears (3.55’s) posi, struts, shocks, sway bars, etc. its all there and stock. Battery is still in the stock location. It even has catalytic converters and 3-chamber Flow-Master mufflers making it not at all to loud under most driving conditions. The key thing or Power-Adder it has is a Kenny Bell 2.2 Liter screw type blower making 18.5psi of boost and it runs on 100 octane unleaded.

The 05 for now is peaked until the blower for it comes in soon hopefully. The 05 has a very aggressive SCT tune I did my self, C&L air box, pulleys, IRMC delete plates, electric water pump which wasn’t worth much, a prototype 3400rpm stall converter and that’s it. All of the exhaust has been left alone because it’s a full 2.5” system stock now and no significant gains have been found on the ’05 from different mufflers and cats or lack there of. Also the suspension is totally stock and with non drag radial 20” tires its pulled 60ft’s in the 1.8 range!
The rear gear is up from a 3.31 stock to a 3.55 now. Although it’s a wash because the rear 20in rims and tires are now 1.5” taller then stock, making the final drive the same as stock. I’ve decided that the new 5-speed auto has enough 1st gear that a much steeper rear gear isn’t needed. It ran constant 13.0’s this past weekend. Which is about 1 to 1.2 seconds faster then stock from every thing I’ve heard about stock automatic ’05 GT’s. I didn’t have an opportunity to base line this ’05 because I got in February when their were no tracks open locally, but modded it so that it would put on a good show for my first event in early March in Florida where it ran a 12.92 down there.

Thanks

Mard
05-02-2005, 09:34 PM
NICE!!! That Mach 1 looks mean. If I saw a white one for sale I'd have a difficult time keeping my checkbook in my pocket.

I remember your first motor in that car had some issues. Any internal mods to the current motor?

Any videos available?

bigslim
05-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Way to go Lidio. I have to say that I have been in his white "04" and it is a beast. It feels good and as he said uncompromised. It moves like nothing else I have been in. Good job.

Lidio
05-03-2005, 04:48 AM
NICE!!! That Mach 1 looks mean. If I saw a white one for sale I'd have a difficult time keeping my checkbook in my pocket.

I remember your first motor in that car had some issues. Any internal mods to the current motor?

Any videos available?

No beating around the bush Mard, the stock motor had more then a few issues. It had issues scattered all over the local drag strip on its forth pass ever down the 1/4 with the KB blower. I’m not hiding this info at all. Its well known that it popped quickly last fall.

It went from a stock 265ish at the rear wheels up to 570RWHPP!!! With a very broad and high torque curve because of the high boost coming from a screw type blower. As much as I thought it would live like this and I wanted to make a big statement about it being all stock and running tens with only the KB and exhaust. But sadly it came apart in late October. When I first bought the car I knew what I had planned and what could happen. So by late last summer ’04 I already had a forged short block ready to go in the car if it needed. The KB went on in early October and popped in mid October. By early November it was back together and went to Milan for a couple of runs before I stored it till two weeks ago.

The motor is still an aluminum block with eagle rods and .020 over Diamond forged pistons. Stock compression on the Mach-1 is 10.1 to 1 like the Marauder’s. I dropped it to 9.6 to 1 for this application. Nothing has been done to the heads while they were off other then a cleaning, light decking and looked at the valve job. No porting at all.

RoyLPita
05-03-2005, 06:04 AM
Did you upgrade the rear axle shafts on the Mach 1? I heard from a fellow co-worker ( who has an Orange 04) that they break easily on the track with drag radials and/or slicks.

Lidio
05-04-2005, 07:41 PM
Did you upgrade the rear axle shafts on the Mach 1? I heard from a fellow co-worker ( who has an Orange 04) that they break easily on the track with drag radials and/or slicks.

Just this week it got a Eaton posi and 31 spline axle's because it "One-wheel-peeled" a few time at the track.

03whitemach
05-04-2005, 08:26 PM
Thats my car or at least I wish it was. My 03 white Mach is auto and bone stock except for a K&N cold air. I can tell you, with just a tune(perf. tune from a predator) it ran 13.5. I took the tune out until the Xcalibrator2 is available.The 1 wheel wonder seems to be common, I have the same problem, and its still under warranty. Kinda hard to take it in and tell the service advisor, " I was at the track the other day, doing a burnout and only 1 wheel spun, can you fix it under warranty, please".

Glenn
05-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Had the same problem - only one stripe. Took it to my favorite dealer - chatter in the rear. Rebuilt posi and solid black stripes on both sides for 60' and lifted. What a difference!

Glenn

04MEMA
05-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Great job Lidio! That Mach 1 looks so Bad! And the 05 is sweet too. Keep up the good work!

What's your impression of the new stang vs. the old one?

CBT
05-08-2005, 07:13 PM
Killer looking, I'd like to have either one.

Joe Walsh
05-08-2005, 07:16 PM
Awesome Mach I Lidio.... :banana2:

I'd NEVER call a Mach I a sleeper....but a stock looking Mach I that runs mid 10s at 130 MPH is really the ultimate sleeper!!!!

I can't keep anything stock, if I had that beast I'd be thinking.....
:hmmm: what if I put on Kooks, and gears, and a torque converter, and a suspension....could I get into the 9s???? :awe:

MI2QWK4U
05-08-2005, 08:43 PM
Thats my car or at least I wish it was. My 03 white Mach is auto and bone stock except for a K&N cold air. I can tell you, with just a tune(perf. tune from a predator) it ran 13.5. I took the tune out until the Xcalibrator2 is available.The 1 wheel wonder seems to be common, I have the same problem, and its still under warranty. Kinda hard to take it in and tell the service advisor, " I was at the track the other day, doing a burnout and only 1 wheel spun, can you fix it under warranty, please".

What gear are you running? With Lidio's chip and 4:10s, my automatic 04 Mach ran 13.3 as a best 1/4 mile time. Its on the timeslip optional page under the screen name "mi2qwk4u2".

Lidio
05-09-2005, 08:54 PM
Great job Lidio! That Mach 1 looks so Bad! And the 05 is sweet too. Keep up the good work!

What's your impression of the new stang vs. the old one?
I’m a big fan of all the late model Mustangs from 79 to current. Their really all I grew up with. But I have to say that the 2005 Mustangs as come full circle and back to the way it unmistakably should be as far as styling goes. Every one loves the new retro look. I mean every one. I’ve got hard core mopar and GM guys looking at my 05 where ever I go that’s some kind of car gathering at the track or cruise. Even the hard core muscle car guys who had nothing good to say basically about the 79 and up Stangs or ’74 and up.

As far as I’m concerned… I love the car in every way. The 300 horse 4.6L is OK and feels good with the new 5-speed auto. Mine as you’ve probably read has gone 12.90’s now with essentially about $2000.00 worth of bolt-ons which include the very aggressive Xcal tune I did and a close guess to what the stall converter I have will cost.

To me the 05 makes all the older ones look out dated. I didn’t want to say that but it such a killer, good looking departure from the ‘04s that it just does. I bought my mach-1 last summer knowing that the ’05 GT was gona kill the 2004 and older’s looks. Don’t get me wrong the Mach-1 especially in white is awesome but, the ’05 has it covered in the sheet metal department. The current motor in the ‘05s and the current automatic trans in the ‘05s will never be able to do what I did with the Mach-1. The Mach-1’s 4 valve motor and the well proven toughness of the Mach’s and our MM’s 4R70W trans are very tough to beat doing what I did with it as far as power and ¼ mile stuff goes.

I’m gona have to sell the Mach later this summer. In no way will an automatic ’05 GT be able to run and live like the Mach is doing what I’m doing with it in terms of big power and drag racing. Not unless Ford does starts to use this rumored heavy duty 6-speed auto in the Stangs that I’ve heard about.

The interior of the ’05 is very well laid out and comfortable but grabs me good in the seat. It goes over bumps like no other Mustang before this one. Rigidly but not harsh in any way. The revised chassis and suspension are quite obvious over the old ones and the way it transmits road feel to the interior is very different.

The thing that I think is the coolest is that from a dead dig punch, it squats the rear, lifts the front, bites in and goes. Its obvious this new suspension and wheel base are working right. From a dead dig the way it launches, squats and lifts the front…It actually feels like on older FOX body with the front sway bar removed, drag struts and a few trick pieces in the rear suspension. Yet it corners and turns like a Cobra, and stays flat. Mine has turned 1.8 sixty foots in the ¼ mile with the 20” non drag radial tires which is just incredible.

My 05 will have a 8-9psi Vortech on it in about two weeks. I’m widening the rear rims to 10.5” because I found a 315/35/20 tire that’s the same diameter as the current 275 -- 20” tires I have but about 1.5 inches wider. My intensions are to go mid to high 11’s now in the ¼ with a non intercooled Vortech with the stock exhaust and suspension on the 315 --- 20” rear tires.

Thanks

Bradley G
05-09-2005, 09:19 PM
I have not had the pleasure to drive the '05 yet.
I agree with Lidio on all the cosmetics.
For tall people, the Mustangs have not been a good fit till now.
With 3 more inches of leg room for the driver,It has emerged as a Contender!
Bradley G

04MEMA
05-10-2005, 08:43 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply Lidio. I figured it would be interesting to hear (read) your thoughts, and it was. I have to agree the the appearance, both inside and out just plain smoke the old mustang, despite the old one being cool. It'll be cool to see you getting one in to the 11's - More Power Baby!

So, despite the fact that I won't be able to swing it - what do you think the Mach 1 will bring $$??? It's such a bad mutha.

Sully008
05-11-2005, 09:11 AM
I've had the pleasure of riding in my brother's '05 GT. Let me tell you, it was fast before the Lidio tune, but he finally downloaded the tune into his car yesterday. He has a 5-speed manual, stock 3.55 gears.

This car is an animal with just the reflash and removing that weird filter from the intake. He goes from a dead stop to 80 km/h in FIRST gear. Think of your MM with 1000lbs. less weight, but with the same Hp. The car just simply hauls A#$. I can't wait to see him run the 1/4 mile.

I like the car, but I love my MM. :D They're two different beasts, really. The 'Stang brings you back to the muscle car days. The MM brings you anywhere in luxury.

Lidio
05-15-2005, 05:16 AM
Thanks for taking the time to reply Lidio. I figured it would be interesting to hear (read) your thoughts, and it was. I have to agree the the appearance, both inside and out just plain smoke the old mustang, despite the old one being cool. It'll be cool to see you getting one in to the 11's - More Power Baby!

So, despite the fact that I won't be able to swing it - what do you think the Mach 1 will bring $$??? It's such a bad mutha.

I really love my Mach-1, especially in white. Its the first Mustang I bought new. The fact that its a 4-valve with the 4R70W and the straight axle holds very high regards with me now and for the reasons I got it in the first place. It has under 3K on the ODO and still totally looks and smells new from top to bottom. I know this potential asking price is gona sound high, but I bought the car with no money down for 5 years. Its not even gona be a year old till this late June 05.

I still owe 24K on it. I wanted it bad only eight months after paying cash for my MM and I just signed away for the Mach-1 when I got it. I haven’t watched what used Mach’s go for latley but I think the 05s have really put a hurting on the 04 and older stangs used car values. I think I’d have a tough time getting what I owe on the car with under 3K on the ODO even if it had nothing done to it at all in terms of mods. But I’ve got a total now in parts alone of about $15,000 to $16,000 in all the mods which include a forged short block, Cobra fuel tank and pumps, 60lbs injectors, widened rims and 315 drag radials, full 2.5” exhaust with cats, Kenne Bell 2.2ltr intercooled blower kit with 19psi of boost, MegeBite lower control arms and much, much more. Its all added up to be a very quite, drivable, sneak up on you mid ten second car on low profile drag radials, with out any compromised ability’s to drive any where and stop and turn like it did stock. Except it runs on 100 unleaded full time. A lot of people may not know but the 03-04 Mach-1 is essentially Cobra like except with out a blower if compared to a 03-04 Cobra. It has a stiff suspension and big brakes all around unlike the GT’s.

At this time I’ve had a couple of serious lookers interested in the car at about $36,000 for it. I know this may seem pretty steep but its an awesome car that’s totally un-molested, looks bad ass and runs bad ass by just leaving it in drive. Its reliable and very properly and tastefully done all around.

www.alternativeauto.com/misc/mach1_project_May12.html

Thanks

BillyGman
05-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Lidio, I have two questions for you about your Mach I and about your 05 Mustang GT:

#1. I saw the underhood pic on your webpage of the Mach I, and i was wondering if that alternator location is changed from that of the stock location. If so, did the KB supercharger kit come with a relocating bracket for the alternator like the Trilogy kit does for the Marauder alternators?

#2. Those wheels and tires on your black Mustang GT look excellent. I know that they're 20" wheels, but exactly what model and width are they (front & back)? And what tires do you have on the front and the back, because I've noticed that there aren't many choices in 20" tires. BTW, i think that the appearence of your GT is also improved by how you've changed the suspension height. It look to me like you've lowered it in the back a little more than you did in the front so that the car looks more like a drag car, and I like that.

04MEMA
05-15-2005, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the info Lidio. What a bad ride.

Lidio
05-16-2005, 04:14 AM
Lidio, I have two questions for you about your Mach I and about your 05 Mustang GT:

#1. I saw the underhood pic on your webpage of the Mach I, and i was wondering if that alternator location is changed from that of the stock location. If so, did the KB supercharger kit come with a relocating bracket for the alternator like the Trilogy kit does for the Marauder alternators?

#2. Those wheels and tires on your black Mustang GT look excellent. I know that they're 20" wheels, but exactly what model and width are they (front & back)? And what tires do you have on the front and the back, because I've noticed that there aren't many choices in 20" tires. BTW, i think that the appearence of your GT is also improved by how you've changed the suspension height. It look to me like you've lowered it in the back a little more than you did in the front so that the car looks more like a drag car, and I like that.

On the Mach-1... yes the KB kit reverses the alternator like the Trilogy does and they include all of that.

On the 05 GT... The rims are Enki's and they’re 20" X 8.5" all around. The tires are continentals all around. The fronts are 245/40/20 and the rears are 275/40/20. The rears are 28.7" tall and the fronts are about 1/2 shorter then the rears given it that staggered look that I'm into and lots of other people seem to agree with how I did that on this car. The springs are Steeda's and the front came down only about a 1/2" cause the springs were meant to lower the front 3/4" but I spaced it back up, I felt it was a little to low for the given front tire height. The rear came down about 1.5" but I spaced that back up about 1/2" as well because with a full tank and two people in the car, it simply looked to level or lost its raked look.

This week its getting a set of the same Enki's in the rear that got widened to 10.5". Continental makes a 315/35/30 that’s the same 28.7" diameter but about 1.5" wider. From the looks of it the 05 will handle that much more meat with no trouble and I'm sure will look even tougher from behind.

Thanks