PDA

View Full Version : hood insulation rubbing

RF Overlord
05-04-2005, 06:14 AM
Has anyone else noticed their underhood insulation rubbing on the blower pulley? It's not a lot, but I'm afraid a piece will eventually come loose and get caught up in the belt and cause a much bigger problem. Any suggestions?

Tallboy
05-04-2005, 06:18 AM
Mine just barely makes contact, and is more due to the hood liner sagging than anything else. A small groove has been worn in the hood liner, [but not through it] but nothing really noticeable and I haven't had any problems. My guess is if we could put one of those black retainer plugs in the center of the hood liner, it wouldn't make contact at all...

Sounds like a good reason to switch to the 10.5 PSI pulley, no?

nomad
05-04-2005, 06:19 AM
Bob,do a search. :D
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9188&highlight=insulation+rubbing

Bradley G
05-04-2005, 06:27 AM
Make that two holes in my liner please!

Bradley G:director:

MM03MOK
05-04-2005, 06:37 AM
:cheer::2thumbs: :rock:

Sounds like a good reason to switch to the 10.5 PSI pulley, no? :rock: :2thumbs: :cheer:

Bradley G
05-04-2005, 06:48 AM
Wow Mary!, look what we started!

I still can't get over, you may be reading ,as I hunt and peck.
Bradley G

:cheer::2thumbs: :rock:

:rock: :2thumbs: :cheer:

RF Overlord
05-04-2005, 09:21 AM
Bob,do a search. :D You're right...I should have...being new to the Trilogy club I never used to look in this forum and it didn't even occur to me...der...

And NO, a smaller pulley is NOT an option... :P

Jerry Barnes
05-04-2005, 09:49 AM
Guys,

The #1 car has the hood liner rubbing problem and we just cut a small hole in the liner to address the problem. Our Computer Aided Design (CAD) data indicated that it should not rub, we had plenty of clearance, but the material used on #1 was thick and sagged in the middle.

The #2 car has a different hood liner material that holds its shape and we have not had any problems with that vehicle.

The material should not come off the liner and cause any other problems, but for appearances, if you want to remedy the problem just cut a small hole.

Thanks

Jerry

RF Overlord
05-04-2005, 09:54 AM
Thanks, Jerry! I'm looking into getting the newer, thinner material now...

BTW, check your PMs... :bows:

BillyGman
05-04-2005, 10:57 AM
Mine used to rub the hood (I have the standard 9.5 PSI pulley) but I think it might have been due atleast in part to how the middle of the hood used to dance all over the place while I was driving down the highway. I used to notice it flexing alot on a sunny day after I just washed it and while driving down the highway ever since I drove the car off the lot from the dealer.

Awhile after I installed the supercharger, someone who shut my hood noticed how that after the hood was closed, he was still ableto push it down, and there was still up and down movement even though it was already latched shut. So I then had to adjust those two height adjuster knobs underneath the hood as well as loosen and adjust the latch itself (which is mounted with bolts into slotted holes). Once I did that, my hood never flexed up and down in the middle while driving down the highway like it used to.

But for what it's worth, I've now put 17,000 miles on my Marauder since the Trilogy supercharger installation, and I haven't touched the hood insulation, and even though there is a small mark in the middle, there has yet to be any pieces being ripped off of it, so I highly doubt that will ever happen, since it doesn't appear to be getting any worse. But I would check your hood for verticle movement after it's closed shut if I were you. Your hood might be dancing around on the highway like mine was. ;)

King Fubar
05-04-2005, 01:58 PM
I did some surgery on mine....and it solved the rubbing problem.

CRUZTAKER
05-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Hey Bob...two ideas. One I'll present to you when you two come to my place.

The other, involves suggestion 1, as a permanent solution, but requires the purchase of a new liner. I have bought 3 already. I am not suggesting you buy another now....but later if idea 1 does indeed work and you want a fresh clen liner. I can get them for $53. Dealer may be able to as well....

Can't wait to see you two...and by the way...
I don't EVEN feel bad for you. I WISH there was a blower pully rubbing on mine....ANYWHERE!!!:P

MI2QWK4U
05-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Mine just barely makes contact, and is more due to the hood liner sagging than anything else. A small groove has been worn in the hood liner, [but not through it] but nothing really noticeable and I haven't had any problems. My guess is if we could put one of those black retainer plugs in the center of the hood liner, it wouldn't make contact at all...

Sounds like a good reason to switch to the 10.5 PSI pulley, no?

Uh...so I went overboard switching to the 13.5 PSI pulley?! Oooops

Bradley G
05-07-2005, 05:17 PM
No way Dave!, you will just have more clearance for Clarence.:D

Bradley G

Uh...so I went overboard switching to the 13.5 PSI pulley?! Oooops