PDA

View Full Version : Modification or customizing priorities?

OKmrodr
07-02-2002, 09:11 PM
Let's start a fun, wishful thinking thread on what modifications or customizing to do first on a new queen of the garage...:)

Here is a list of just the possibilities I can think of off the top of my head. Feel free to add your ideas or prioritize these.

Change rear end gearing (3.73/4.10, etc.), window tint, muffler (Flowmaster, etc.), underdrive pulleys, blower, thermostat, throttle body (somebody explain this one to me), computer chip, transmission valve bodies, MAF, aftermarket sunroof, sound system upgrade, colored wire braid covers, .... etc.

I already know Logan votes for more gearing grunt. We're all looking for ideas to make our ride really ours, mechanically or cosmetically. I am looking forward to a regularly growing thread here.

Jim
07-03-2002, 04:11 AM
My current priority list (Not really prioritized, but a list...)

Window tinting (It's HOT!)
Install car kit for phone
Install wiring for V1
Install remote display for V1
Dyno run for baseline

After that, it's tricky...

Gear swap (3.73)
I'm thinking a shorter rear tire would help the gear ratio as well, and add some low-end pep. Of course, then I'd have to reprogram the computer for the speedo change...
Lower the rear end (via the air susp sensors)

That's all I've got in mind for now,

-Jim

JT03
07-03-2002, 04:12 AM
3.73 for the rear and a chip for the front.

Logan
07-03-2002, 06:54 AM
Jim,

You'll be delighted to know that you do NOT need to reprogram the PCM or run a chip to change your gears. That's because the speed sensor is now with the rear ABS sensor on the axle, instead of in the tranny.

As a result of the sensor being AFTER the gears, it's reporting wheel speed, not driveshaft speed, which eliminates the computer from the equation.

Been there, done that.

The throttle body is a twin bore 57mm unit. It's common to replace the unit with a FRPP/Cobra single bore unit. It increases throttle response and adds 5-7hp and a couple ft/lbs... I'm going to investigate the feasibility of this one with existing TB's on the market. I think the Cobra unit should bolt straight up.

NOTSLO_LT4
07-10-2002, 08:41 PM
first mod would be bigger tires like a 275/40ZR18 and 245/45ZR18 to make it look beefier and lower it a little with some HAL shocks. some window tint and xenon headlights. blackout taillights using VHT Nite-Shades (this stuff works really good) and most cops dont say anything since it looks factory with dot labels on em. and then 3.73 gears and update the tranny to shift better and last a little longer. cold air induction with some corsa mufflers. im sure i could think of some more stuff. SSeeya

nick

b4z
07-11-2002, 04:28 AM
It is doubtful that 275s would fit. Good suggestions though.

NOTSLO_LT4
07-11-2002, 07:14 AM
i would probably put a set of HRE, Forgeline or Fikse wheels on and playing with offset could probably get a 285/35 back there. some 18x8 in front and some 18x10 in rear. SSeeya

nick

Logan
07-11-2002, 11:00 AM
I guarantee you won't get a 10 inch rim under the rear end without sticking out the side of the car. No way, no how. There's barely enough room for the 245's back there...

NOTSLO_LT4
07-11-2002, 03:21 PM
hey check out my marauder hood scoop
http://www.macomotorsports.com/marauder_hoodscoopa.jpg

SSeeya

nick

NOTSLO_LT4
07-11-2002, 03:37 PM
heres another can you see the differences???
http://www.macomotorsports.com/marauder_hoodscoop2a.jpg

SSeeya nick

WJSOLOMON
07-12-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by NOTSLO_LT4:"here's another. Can you see the differences???

Were these actually "Computor-Enhanced" Photos of what "Could Be", or did you actually do these Mods?

How were you able to eliminate the integrated Font "Wave" on the Black Grill?

WJS

Ray Snyder
07-12-2002, 09:57 AM
I agree the hood would look great. If I can't get that, right now I'd settle for replacing the wave on the grill and trunk for a Gods head logo. any ideas ?.
Ray

NOTSLO_LT4
07-12-2002, 10:14 AM
yes these are computer enhanced but can be duplicated by a competant body shop. it would probably cost about $800-1000 to have a scoop made like that out of steel. to remove the wave logo you would probably have to cut and plastic weld it back together to make it one piece. if yall need any help locating stuff just let me know. SSeeya

nick

Jim
07-12-2002, 01:04 PM
I've got a couple of folks working on the Mercury Head logo for my grille and trunk lid....

May well turn out very cool.

-Jim

NOTSLO_LT4
07-12-2002, 02:01 PM
check this out
http://www.macomotorsports.com/marauder_hoodscoop2a_godshead. jpg

SSeeya

nick

tetsu
07-12-2002, 03:09 PM
NOTSLO,

Cool Photoshop work. I wouldnt mind getting a hood scoop like that.

Personally, I'd like a Godhead thats blacked out! Front and Rear.

Johnny

NOTSLO_LT4
07-12-2002, 03:28 PM
thanks alot
i have still got a lot to learn about photo editing but im getting better. ive got several other marauder pics that im working like switching wheels and stuff like that. SSeeya

nick

2004 MARAUDER
07-12-2002, 05:15 PM
Just wondering what ever happened to chrome being good looking? The trend has been black-out, or monochrome, etc. I know I'm old fashion but i have always liked chrome all over my vehicle. Of course can't find today. If this car had chrome trim and even chrome bumpers to go with those chrome wheels-WOW-I would go crazy. A lot of you are around my age, what do you think? Is it just me?

Jim

NOTSLO_LT4
07-12-2002, 05:24 PM
some people like lotsa chrome on their cars. and it looks good on certain vehicles than it does others. like the 55-57 chevys look good with all their chrome parts and 58-64 impala does too. but most of the newer cars have plastic bumpers instead of steel like the older cars. that is one reason everything is monochromatic these days and it does look nice. the only chrome i have visible on my car is the rear impala emlbems on my c pillars and trunk lid. i even blacked out my window trim. SSeeya

nick

Ray Snyder
07-15-2002, 08:15 AM
Hey Jim, put me down for set of those badges.

Notslo, your a wiz with that pasteing stuff.

Ray

b4z
07-15-2002, 09:16 AM
"Badges! We don't need no stinkin badges!"

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

NOTSLO_LT4
07-15-2002, 09:46 AM
thanks ray

im trying to get an impala frame with big wheels to fit under a marauder skin to see how it looks.just need more marauder pics, notenough different angles out there. SSeeya

nick

NOTSLO_LT4
07-15-2002, 01:51 PM
heres a marauder with 19/20" HRE wheels
http://www.macomotorsports.com/marauder_hre.jpg

SSeeya

nick

NOTSLO_LT4
07-15-2002, 02:28 PM
another cool marauder with 19/20" Fikse FM/5 wheels
http://www.macomotorsports.com/marauder_fikse2.jpg

SSeeya

nick

NOTSLO_LT4
07-15-2002, 03:19 PM
i did another pic
http://www.macomotorsports.com/marauder_fikse2_low2.jpg

SSeeya

Nick

RICK
07-15-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by 2004 MARAUDER
Just wondering what ever happened to chrome being good looking? The trend has been black-out, or monochrome, etc. I know I'm old fashion but i have always liked chrome all over my vehicle. Of course can't find today. If this car had chrome trim and even chrome bumpers to go with those chrome wheels-WOW-I would go crazy. A lot of you are around my age, what do you think? Is it just me?

Jim THE WHEELS ARE NOT CHROME. THEY ARE HIGH POLISHED ALUMINUM.

Jim
07-15-2002, 06:52 PM
Here's a mod I'm undertaking;

Ordered these (http://www.karkraft.com/BULLITT_PEDALS6.jpg)

What I really want is the dead pedal; my left foot is just dangling around in that big footwell (when it's not tapping the brake to induce a mild drift, or help with a little tire smoking!)

If I can get the others to fit (Gas/Brake) then so much the better!

Thoughts?

-Jim

eng1neer
07-16-2002, 12:11 AM
Well dont hold your breath on the aftermkt stereo. I wanted a MP3 added and there is ZERO documentation on the new wiring on the NEW Alpine Audiophile stereo. The Ford houses are even having problems getting the info directly from Ford. The Ford hotline has zero info and engineering will get back with them sometime this year MAYBEE. Metra, AI, and Scoche have never seen the connector with power and audio wiring on this head unit (I sent digital pictures to all). I managed to get it wired without messing up the factory wiring and if anyone needs the wiring colors I can post them. I currently need info on the Subwoofer interface behind the head unit such as audio level input, amp turn on/ muting and pins on the 4 wires used on the sub amp connector (smallest connector on the back of the radio) but Im working on it.

Also, Dark mode under the Tech section on crownvic.net works on this car but U have to bring a wire out of the LCM as there is no black wire in the harness used on this car. Its pin 7 on the 16 pin connector of the LCM. ground it, reapply power and u get Dark Mode like the P71s. Unground it and reapply power and u are back to civilian mode.

Now if I can just disable the pesky little flashing red LED on the dash when the car is not running. Oh well so many projects so little time.