PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Dipstick

mrogerc
05-07-2005, 05:18 AM
I have Trilogy #009, and I am amazed by the performance, the quality of the components, and the incredible manual. I gave Five0 his first ride in a Trilogy Marauder---and now his car is much faster than mine. :beer:

My kit was originally installed on Marauderer's car, then he gave me a great deal on transfering it to mine.

One question I have is whether there is any way to make it easier to use the tranny dipstick. I find that the plumbing from the intercooler makes it pretty hard to get to the dipstick and pull it out, and getting it fully seated is a bit of a challenge. It can be just a bit hot, too..... Obviously, not a bit deal, but is there a dipstick available with a longer handle? Or is this an anomoly from my installation?

RF Overlord
05-07-2005, 09:59 AM
I find that the plumbing from the intercooler makes it pretty hard to get to the dipstick and pull it out, and getting it fully seated is a bit of a challenge...is there a dipstick available with a longer handle? Or is this an anomoly from my installation?Mine is the same way, only it's not the intercooler plumbing that's obstructing access, it's the throttle cable and PCV plumbing...I CAN get at it, but it's a good thing I don't have to too often...

ctrcbob
05-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Mine is bone stock and I have to use gloves to check my dipstick, otherwise I scrape my hand. Also have to cover the fender with a thick cloth to make sure I don't scratch it bending way over to check dipstick.

BillyGman
05-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Mine is bone stock and I have to use gloves to check my dipstick, otherwise I scrape my hand. Also have to cover the fender with a thick cloth to make sure I don't scratch it bending way over to check dipstick.I think you have a good point there. Even without the Trilogy kit installed, the Marauder's transmission fluid dipstick & tube are simply a challenge to get at. it does get alittle more tricky after installing the Trilogy kit, but it's no big deal as far as I'm concerned. There's a trick to it, and after checking it a few times, I learned that the handle has to first be pushed over to one side imeddiately after raising it an inch or two out of the tube mouth, and before attempting to slide it out.

If you're used to working on cars, then you'll figure it out with a little persistence and patience. And if you don't work on cars at all, then just have the dealer check it out or whoever you trust your car to when you bring it in a few times a year for the oil changes. If the transmission isn't leaking fluid on the ground where you park your car, then it isn't like checking the transmission fluid needs to be a weekly occurence anyway.

mrogerc
05-07-2005, 01:22 PM
But if you check it in a hurry, after blasting away with the blower, and you ----brilliantly---- touch the intercooler exit pipe with your finger, you get a heck of a burn. :bigcry:

Tallboy
05-07-2005, 01:33 PM
Checking the tranny fluid on a Trilogy equipped car is easy. I don't know why you guys are making such a big deal out of it.

Allow me to demonstrate...

[Sound of Bud Light bottle being opened-PSSSSSSSSHHHHHHTT!]

"Hey, Carfixer, check the tranny fluid, will ya?"

See? It's easy!:lol:

DEFYANT
05-07-2005, 01:35 PM
I have the same problem! The tube is the EGR tube from the left exhaust manifold. I think if there was a way to lengthen it and re-route it, it would make checking the tranny fluid easier.

mrogerc
05-07-2005, 02:17 PM
OK, now I get why it was so :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor: hot.

BillyGman
05-07-2005, 04:50 PM
I don't remember ever being burned while checking it, but you can always wear mechanic's gloves if that's a problem for you.

mrogerc
05-08-2005, 04:48 AM
I don't remember ever being burned while checking it, but you can always wear mechanic's gloves if that's a problem for you.

Yeah, but I bet you keep your eyes open when you check it!

I will have to get a set of those gloves---would come in handy for lots of stuff.

BillyGman
05-08-2005, 05:05 AM
Yeah, but I bet you keep your eyes open when you check it!

LOL........