PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Or Fog Lamp Improvements?!

Reaper948
02-27-2003, 06:43 PM
ANYONE have Xenon bulbs installed?

if so which ones.....

how do they come out looking? Blue, white, yellow, etc...

Im tired of the standard bulbs.........

and did you have to change the wiring harnesses?.......

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

joflewbyu2
02-27-2003, 07:25 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1616

WolfeBros
02-27-2003, 07:25 PM
Reaper try the Sylvania Silverstar 9007 bulbs.
They are a good improvement over standard and put out a good white bright light. They run about $20 apiece but worth it IMHO.
They are not xeon but very close in lightoutput and they plug right into exsisting socket. (these are headlight bulbs not foglights)

CRUZTAKER
02-27-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by joflewbyu2@aol.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1616

RF Overlord
02-28-2003, 05:40 AM
^^^What WolfeBros said........again....^^^ :D

I just installed the SilverStars and they are brighter and whiter than stock, the $20 price is right, AND if you go to Sylvania's web site, there's a $10/pair rebate coupon you can print out...

"SAVE $10" (http://www.sylvania.com/auto/silverstar.htm) :up:

Reaper948
02-28-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by WolfeBros
Reaper try the Sylvania Silverstar 9007 bulbs.
They are a good improvement over standard and put out a good white bright light. They run about $20 apiece but worth it IMHO.
They are not xeon but very close in lightoutput and they plug right into exsisting socket. (these are headlight bulbs not foglights)

thanks for the suggestion wolfe,
If i can find them Ill get em....not many places around here to help me out with that.

So what exactly does the light output look like?

RF Overlord
02-28-2003, 06:20 PM
reap:

If you go to Sylvania's (http://www.sylvania.com/auto/silverstar.htm) web site, there's a chart that shows how the SilverStars compare to all the others...the site also tells you where you can buy them; I got mine at AutoZone, and I believe Pep Boys has them, too.

Reaper948
02-28-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
reap:

If you go to Sylvania's (http://www.sylvania.com/auto/silverstar.htm) web site, there's a chart that shows how the SilverStars compare to all the others...the site also tells you where you can buy them; I got mine at AutoZone, and I believe Pep Boys has them, too.

Sounds great, Theres a pep boys 10 mins from here....
Should I ask them to install or should I just do it myself....

CRUZTAKER
02-28-2003, 06:28 PM
Reaper:
The autoparts stores around here aren't the best either. But even the smaller ones have repl. bulbs., call around, ask for headlite bulbs,
"Sylvania Silverstar 9007 ST". These appear to the driver as really bright white, but from the front to an onlooker from the right angle, they have a lavender tint.

I know what you are driving at, you want those blue farenheight bulbs.
They look cool, they appear blue.....but they have a short life expectancy. I know, cause I was a sucker for HID imitaitions. T

Reaper948
02-28-2003, 06:30 PM
You nailed me....
But these Silverstars sound real nice....Bright white is just as good as OK blue...

CRUZTAKER
02-28-2003, 06:36 PM
Damn, I keep hitting the wrong keys tonite, I changed my beer, and now the keys are all running together.

Any way, there are no imitations to HID, fork out 9 C-notes or get the best halogen in the market.

Anyway, thanks for reminding me,. I had the dealer put my silverstars in today while they were replacing my "moistured" headlamps.

THESE ARE NOT EASY TO DO! Bear in mind, I tried when it was 8 degrees out, but even when I could STILL FEEL my fingers, I couldn't do it.

Reaper948
02-28-2003, 06:48 PM
I have it easier, 30 degrees today....

Ill probably do it myself when it gets warmer.....I dont feel like paying people if I can do it myself

CRUZTAKER
02-28-2003, 06:52 PM
Good luck, and have patience. Skin takes awhile to grow back......

RF Overlord
02-28-2003, 07:23 PM
Dudes, the headlights come out quite easily...remove the three 5/16 bolts, and push down on the front bumper skin as you push the headlamp bucket out from behind...it's all in the owner's manual...took me a grand total of 20 minutes to do both sides, including crawling around under the car looking for the screws I dropped...

CRUZTAKER
02-28-2003, 07:53 PM
Read......Manual........

Damnit, now you tell me......I made that post two weeks ago.
Ahh, but the scars have healed.

martyo
02-28-2003, 08:16 PM
RF: When you were crawling around looking for your scews, did you happen to find the nut I dropped when I did my badge replacement?

looking97233
02-28-2003, 08:24 PM
Has anyone found H1 lamps that will match the color of the silverstar 9007's?

Reaper948
02-28-2003, 11:15 PM
Is there a specific wattage I have to buy for the SS's?

U guys should put some pics of the lights at night!.....itd be so worth it for all the members here!

RF Overlord
03-01-2003, 08:37 AM
No, there are no choices of wattage...they are simply 9007ST bulbs...
I think they're 60/70, but wattage is not a good way to judge bulbs...lumen output is more useful...

I think nighttime shots of someone's headlights would be so subjective as to be useless...too many variables, such as shutter speed, iris opening, CRT monitor adjustment/condition....either believe those who have them that they are much better than stock, or don't...or find someone who has them on their car and see for yourself...it's the only way to be accurate...

gonzo50
03-01-2003, 07:48 PM
Are those SilverStars compatible with the stock lens, doesn't brighter mean hotter ? :flamer: Over time, will the lens get discolored due to the extra high light output ? I would sure hate to damage those awesome tinted lens we have on our Marauders. :bigcry:

CRUZTAKER
03-01-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by gonzo50
Are those SilverStars compatible with the stock lens, doesn't brighter mean hotter ?

Its all good.......

I actually found 80/100's thru another source.
3 years on the Marquis and no melting.

Reaper948
03-01-2003, 11:46 PM
we have tinted lenses?.....

Does anybody have suggestions on wiper blade replacements....the wipers on our car are really poor

RF Overlord
03-02-2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Reaper948
Does anybody have suggestions on wiper blade replacements....the wipers on our car are really poor

see thread called My windshield wiper solution (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=624).. .I use the NAPA teflons

WolfeBros
03-02-2003, 09:57 AM
I used the Bosch 22" and like them but if someone asks if they are gonna melt the windshield I am gonna lose it.............. :rolleyes:

gonzo50
03-02-2003, 05:30 PM
Hey WolfeBros, are those Bosch 22" gonna melt the: Opps, my bad. :beatnik:

WolfeBros
03-02-2003, 06:01 PM
:scream:

j/k Gonzo :D

Reaper948
03-03-2003, 04:54 PM
Got the SS's 30 minuets ago
although I feel as though Ive been gypped....25 a piece...they didnt even have the SS's on display I had to ask for em

A place around me might have them cheaper....

bugsys03
03-03-2003, 04:59 PM
hey wolfe did you know our windshields are tinted too?

CRUZTAKER
03-03-2003, 05:32 PM
"....please check local laws regarging tint......."

:sleepy:

WolfeBros
03-03-2003, 06:40 PM
Will looking out a tinted windshield harm our wiper blades ?:shake:
:lol:

Black Badger
03-04-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by looking97233
Has anyone found H1 lamps that will match the color of the silverstar 9007's?

Check out this POST (http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?threadid=282317 )

About 14 post down....posted by SHOStang

if the bulbs are the same this should work.....

jefferson-mo
03-04-2003, 03:13 PM
Don't forget ..............J C Whitney's got it all!!!

CRUZTAKER
03-04-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by jefferson-mo
Don't forget ..............J C Whitney's got it all!!!

I wasn't gonna mention it, but this is the location for cheap bulbs of all nature. As I said before, "....short life expectancy"

I used to really like those XENON BLUE 80/100W 9007's in my Marquis and the 9006 80W in the LS.(From JCW) As you can see, MUCH brighter AND very blue look. The neighbors house glows blue in the morning.

Anyway, for awhile these bulbs were were as cheap as $9.99 each and sometime buy one get one free. I was addicted immediately. Problem was/is- they are short lived. Likely the high wattage and the jolting from road rash. I have replaced them as often as every month or so. In 3 years they have never melted either of our cars' lenses. But the steam off the lenses in the winter is erie!

Justify? Well, I discovered JC Whitney would warrant the product, so each time a set died, I (cross) shipped them back for replacement. I did this so many times I started to get a guilty conscience. Actually, the 9006 in the LS lasted over a year. In fact, one just cut loose, and the wife likes the blue..............1-800->>>>>>>

Anyway, I went with Sylvania SS because they will likely last A LONG time. I do miss the blue, and I CERTAINLY miss the 80/100 combination. I never had a complaint or flash back when they were adjusted correctly.

I have astygmatism (sp?) and 20-40 in one eye, night driving has always been an ordeal. If the Marauder had been German built, atleast I could have mounted a couple HELLA 250w on my front bumper w/o getting flamed....

Reaper948
03-04-2003, 07:22 PM
Cruz....what about those Cool Blues from Sylvania for the fogs?

Reaper948
03-04-2003, 07:27 PM
whats this fogging up of lenses youre talking about ?!
Think thatll happen after i use the SSs? its kind of weird

I think ill have someone(not my dealer)install the lights for me.......I have no tools that really fit the stuff on the car.......I keep scratching up the bolts....U think thatll void warranty?

CRUZTAKER
03-04-2003, 07:39 PM
Cruz....what about those Cool Blues from Sylvania for the fogs?
I haven't begun to screw with the foglites, but no doubt I will.

Even the 'cool blues' come no where near these cheapie xenons from JCW.

Reap: I had you in mind when I DIDN'T mention JCW. I didn't want you blowin' your allowance.....err , paycheck

And as far as the foglites, my lenses fog up on a cold day after a car wash. I'll wait till spring to tell the dealer. Afterall, they did the left headlamp last week, I washed the car, looked at it close, and here the damn silver coat on the interior has flaked and it looks like flippin fairy dust or some she-ot , man ....I can't win for lose in the headlite dept.

:po:

Reaper948
03-04-2003, 07:41 PM
would they screw me on saying i 'voided warranty' if i got my lights replaced at some other place (cuz they are cheaper)?

CRUZTAKER
03-04-2003, 07:46 PM
I highly doubt any damage would occur with the OEM watted Syl-SS's

The tech would likely never know even if he was working on them.
I actually left the SS's on the dash, and asked the tech that did my headlamp to swap them while he was in there.

:up:

RF Overlord
03-04-2003, 07:54 PM
reap:

The three bolts that hold the headlight buckets in are 5/16"...you can buy a single nutdriver for a few dollars, or a small socket set with a 1/4" drive ratchet and extension for not much more...a cheap-o set will do...once you have the three bolts out, the rest is easy...the instructions are in the owner's manual...10 minutes tops for each side, if you're slow...just be careful not to touch the "glass" (actually, I think it's quartz) on the new bulbs with your fingers...if you do, just wipe it off with a little alcohol...(no, you can't use Stoli...)

CRUZTAKER
03-05-2003, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
reap:
.........just wipe it off with a little alcohol...(no, you can't use Stoli...)

I don't think that will be problem eh Reap? :P

CRUZTAKER
03-05-2003, 04:10 PM
would they screw me on saying i 'voided warranty' if i got my lights replaced at some other place (cuz they are cheaper)?

Worst case scenario:
Save your factory bulbs, replace if necessary before a visit to big brother...........

You guys want to have some fun????? :up:

Call your local dealer and tell them you 'have a burned out fog lite and you would like to know the bulb type before you go to a parts store for a replacement'.

This is a riot, do it, I'm curious what YOURS says.
Mine said they would have to order the entire fog lamp assy!!!!

I realize it's in the manual, but odds are the parts clerk won't know that.

Reaper948
03-05-2003, 11:00 PM
Stoli?.....whats that?.......uhhh
:)

Reaper948
03-05-2003, 11:00 PM
Doesnt the SS come in H1 as well?

Reaper948
03-06-2003, 06:40 PM
Yet another question....
You think the Sylvania Cool blues would look good as fogs?

gja
03-08-2003, 03:58 PM
OK, went to a local place I know does a fair amount of aftermarket lighting kits and got.........100 WATT H1 bulbs!!!!!!

Holy crap are these things bright. BTW, you all know about the little metal bulb surround in the foglights? Well if you take the reflector assembly out via the pushpin locks that hold it in place, you can pull the entire shield out intact. I think someone else mentioned ridding the lights of this, just can't remember where on the board I read it.

I don't notice any serious heat buildup problem and I ran them a long time. The bulbs were only $15 a piece and they had a dichromatic coating in the glass. They burn VERY white. Too bad the Long Island meet is during the day, I can't demo them for the crew, but I will take some pics showing the results.

martyo
03-08-2003, 04:20 PM
gja: Plan on giving a lecture on this issue during the NY Meet!

CRUZTAKER
03-08-2003, 04:29 PM
GJA:

Watch your wiring harness as well as the lense. Those factory H1's are somewhere around 30 to 42 watts.

I found some Zenons rated 52 watts. I may try the reflector delete tho.

gja
03-08-2003, 05:25 PM
Cruz,
Standard from factory is Osram H1U 55W 64150L.
As per the stamp on the lamp assembly.
100 is nearly double, but the wire to the lamps is more than adaquate.

Reaper948
03-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Well Id like to see which one comes out as the best type so I can start getting some fogs for my baby!!!!!

gja
03-08-2003, 07:01 PM
Took a drive tongiht, the 100 watt bulbs make a very big impact combined with removing the shade. Luckily the lamps are positioned so low there is almost no chance of being cited for 'dazzling lamps' as defined by uniform traffic code in most, if not all, states.

joflewbyu2
03-08-2003, 07:30 PM
sure glad to see someone else figure out on removing the light defractor. makes a big difference !!

Bigdogjim
03-08-2003, 07:47 PM
gja: I'll stand over your MM at the meet and that will be just like night time.. :lol:
Big Dog

Reaper948
03-09-2003, 12:12 AM
GJA.....do u have a website where I can see the osrams?

Reaper948
03-10-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by gja
Took a drive tongiht, the 100 watt bulbs make a very big impact combined with removing the shade. Luckily the lamps are positioned so low there is almost no chance of being cited for 'dazzling lamps' as defined by uniform traffic code in most, if not all, states.

I just got Blue 100 watters, but theyre these 20 a pair japanese ones...hopefully theyll put out and stay..

GJA You get that Osram 100W H1 site for me yet? I cant seem to find anything on it

gja
03-10-2003, 06:56 PM
DOH!,
Mea Culpa !!!
APC brand
http://www.suvxccessory.com/xccessory/uhb-50h1pw.html
Philips brand
http://www.powerbulbs.com/products/product.php?prodid=pr&type=H112V100W
And, at good old JCW!!!
http://www.jcw.com/product.jhtml?CATID=179903&AID=8808847&PID=523995&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jcw.com%2 Fproduct.jhtml%3FCATID%3D17990 3&BQ=jcw2

prchrman
03-11-2003, 06:15 AM
Anyone out there tried the GE 9007HO bright whites...$17.97 pr. at wally world...yes I could be cheap but if they work........why not......

drobin
04-03-2003, 08:54 PM
Can't find where someone installed Silver Star headlamp bulbs without removing assemblies. Could someone direct me on how to accomplish this and possibly point out where to find the forum remarks. Especially, how to remove the bulbs. I know I read this someone but can't find it. HELP
Thanks, Donald

RF Overlord
04-04-2003, 05:59 AM
Donald:

Although I've heard that you CAN replace the bulbs without removing the headlamp a$$emblies, I've also heard it's a PITA...it's easier to just remove the whole a$$'y...honestly, I did both sides of my car in under 20 minutes start to finish, including retrieving dropped screws......the procedure is in the owner's manual...

sailsmen
04-04-2003, 01:11 PM
Donald, I changed mine start to fininsh in 1/2 hour. All you need is ;
large / long screw driver either standard or phillips - for the 3 mounting screws holding the head lite assembly
small / long screw driver standard - for the elec connector.

Follow the owners manual instructions on page 40.

4 hints - 1) use the small / long screw driver to insert/push the elec connector locking retainer in the unlocked position
2) push the 3 head lite assembly screw tabs with the long screw driver to the front of the car to loosen the assembly after removing the 3 mounting screws
3) push down with your knee on the plastic top bumper facia
4) pull the grill side of the head lite assembly out first.

The lite is a lot whiter and the low beams lite up the road shoulder/center dramatically better then the stock. I have had no one flash their brites so it does not appear to be a prob for oncoming.

Reaper948
04-04-2003, 08:05 PM
Sometimes I keep them on hi-beam to make em look like WHITE HID....:)

drobin
04-05-2003, 10:09 PM
Well I just finished installing the Silverstar 9007's WITH LAMP ASSEMBLIES IN THEIR ORIGINAL POSITION. The trick for the passenger side is to remove the battery, remove the rear bulb propective cover, turn the lamps locking ring counter-clockwise, pull bulb out, then last but not least is to remove the electrical connector. Next comes drivers side which is done the same way, but it helps to remove the little vac*** unit behind headlamp brace. Wear rubber gloves and remove/install bulbs thru large round access openings behind assemblies....That's it folks, and the alignment should stay the same.....

PS--Have no cuts or battle scars!

Good luck,

Donald

RF Overlord
04-06-2003, 06:02 AM
d:

Cool beans, but it sounds like it was more work to do it your way than to just R&R the headlamp buckets...how long did it take you?

BTW: R&Ring the headlamp a$$ys won't disturb the alignment, either...

drobin
04-06-2003, 07:55 PM
RF,

The entire operation took me about 50 minutes, but I could do it again in less than 30 minutes (total). I felt by doing it the way I did, involved less overall disturbance of other delicate components, and possibly having to re-align head lights... By the way-- I DIDN'T DROP ANY HARDWARE so that saved me some time. Took a test drive and I definitely see an improvement on low beams but kind of dissapointed with the high beams.. Could it be just my imagination?? Would like feed back on this from you or other members...

Thanks,

Donald

RF Overlord
04-06-2003, 08:09 PM
I guess I just take gains wherever I can find them...the headlights in this car won't exactly start forest fires at 100 meters, but the SilverStars ARE an improvement over stock...

The old-fashioned rectangular sealed-beam headlights in my work van ('01 Safari) are actually WAY better than the lights on the Marauder...must be a Ford thing...my '94 T-bird had spectacularly bad headlights...the Marauder is a marginal improvement...

Reaper948
04-07-2003, 09:48 PM
When you find better lights
you tell me

SSs are the best thing i know of besides melting wires with cheapie Xenons or spending 600 on HIDs.....

You have a better Idea?