PDA

View Full Version : Crown Vic In Nhtsa Investigation For Wheel Cracks

derek77
02-28-2003, 06:23 AM
I find this hard to believe, but I thought everyone might want to know. I just don't know this is possible. Has any one noticed this?? I know it's for Crown Vic and Marquis, but I guess it could effect MM too, even with different MM rims.

http://thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5802&sid=173&n=156

gja
02-28-2003, 06:30 AM
We do not have steel wheels on our Marauders. Not a worry.

SergntMac
02-28-2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by gja
We do not have steel wheels on our Marauders. Not a worry.

Ummm...some do, with a winter tire combo...Heads up, gents.

RCSignals
03-01-2003, 01:51 AM
This affects the Heavy Duty Steel wheels used on 2003 Police Interceptors, and possibly Taxis.

Most civilian Crown Victorias and Grand Marquis have aluminum wheels, as does the Marauder

I know these wheels are indeed very heavy steel. I find it hard to believe as well. A couple of Police Departments have reported some cracking at the bead, however I've yet to see any actual numbers of wheels.
If there is indeed a problem, it obviously needs to be corrected.

I think Hayes makes these wheels for Ford.

Cooper
03-02-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by SergntMac
Ummm...some do, with a winter tire combo...Heads up, gents.

Precisely what I was thinking. I've got snow tires mounted on 16" steel wheels on both my CVs for the winter.

Originally posted by RCSignals
This affects the Heavy Duty Steel wheels used on 2003 Police Interceptors, and possibly Taxis.

Any difference between the "heavy duty" steel wheels used on 2003 Police Interceptors & Taxis and the black steel wheels you can buy from Tire Rack for use on CVs and GMs?

:confused:

RCSignals
03-02-2003, 03:20 PM
Stealth Vic
There may well be a difference in the wheels. I'm not positive for the 2003 wheels, but there definitely was a heavier wheel for Police vehicles in the previous design.

One thing to consider in this, and what we aren't being told, is the affected wheels may only be from a certain production batch. There have only been a couple of departments report this, and usually a PDs vehicles are purchased at the same time in a fleet purchase, so parts used in them will also be from a certain lot from the supplier.

Cooper
03-02-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by RCSignals
...the affected wheels may only be from a certain production batch. There have only been a couple of departments report this, and usually a PDs vehicles are purchased at the same time in a fleet purchase, so parts used in them will also be from a certain lot from the supplier.

That makes logical sense, but you can bet I'll be looking my steel wheels over REAL closely next month when I take them off for the summer and put the aluminum ones back on the cars! BTW, thanks derek77 for the "heads up" on this.

RCSignals
03-02-2003, 09:49 PM
Pays to check them anyway. I have seen wheels crack before (other than 2003s)

LincMercLover
03-02-2003, 10:17 PM
The real question to ask here is what's causing it. If it's winter elements, then the problem should be able to be narrowed down to a specific batch of rims. If it's a problem while making certain manuvers in the car, then it's an issue that needs a closer look into the vehicle itself. If it's a combo of the two, then it REALLY needs a closer look at the car and rims themselves. Just a thought before everyone panics...

Mongoose
11-21-2003, 08:14 AM
A couple of Police Departments have reported some cracking at the bead

I stopped by the local PD to pick up an accident report today. While there, I talked to their mechanics in the garage. They showed me a TSB from Ford regarding the steel wheels cracking. The wheel they said was the subject of the NHTSA was the 16X7 wheel on '03 CV's made by Kelsey-Hayes, #HW132114.
These wheels appear to be induction welded (two parts spun together at high speed and fused). The reason I've resurrected this thread is that I know a number of members are in the process of getting set up with winter tires and might be considering using these wheels.

Racerx88
11-21-2003, 09:25 AM
Perhaps the greater offset on the 2003 wheels as opposed to earlier wheels may have something to do with it also?

TripleTransAm
11-21-2003, 10:09 AM
This seems to explain why we came up with two parts numbers for the black wheels in the parts database last month... one for wheels before (I think) May 2003 and the other for all wheels after. We couldn't for the life of us figure out what would have necessitated a parts number change at that point in the year. This may be the reason...

Silver_04
11-21-2003, 07:10 PM
I've seen two different styles of steel wheels on CV police cars. There's one with what appears to be a standard offset and the other steel wheel has an outter surface just about flush with the tire. Both have chrome center caps.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ctt9/images/flat_wheel.jpghttp://home.earthlink.net/~ctt9/images/offset_wheel.jpg

TripleTransAm
11-21-2003, 09:57 PM
I think the deep one (on the right) is for pre-2003 cars, since the 2003+ cars require a wheel with a different offset which results in the center being almost flush with the rubber.

I prefer the older style, alas...

RCSignals
11-22-2003, 12:13 AM
Steve is correct, the deep one on the Right is for pre-2003s.

Ford actually has a recall on these wheels, mostly the early 2003 production.

I understand though that few have actually cracked, but it is a safety concern, thus the recall

Silver_04
01-17-2004, 10:54 AM
http://home.earthlink.net/~ctt9/images/flat_wheel.jpg

I'm now seeing Sheriff cars in Indiana with a chrome ring at the edge of these wheels in addition to the center cap. They look a lot better and I'll see if I can get a pic.

RCSignals
01-18-2004, 03:10 AM
There is a special chrome ring for the 2003 and newer steel wheels, not from Ford though. I think the hub cap place mac posted a link to sells them