PDA

View Full Version : How Much is HP. Increase ?

Smokie
05-12-2005, 05:15 AM
If you install a Trilogy kit, is the HP. increase a fixed number or is it on a sliding scale?

For example: If you install the kit on a bonestock MM. (about 240 hp) you can reasonably expect to go to about 370 hp. or about 130 hp increase. ( I am using Bigslim's numbers )

If your MM is not stock and you have about 280 hp, what would be reasonable to expect in hp, gain?...130 hp or less ???

Than you in advance.

Smokie
05-12-2005, 07:29 AM
??????????:bump:

Jerry Barnes
05-12-2005, 08:25 AM
If you install a Trilogy kit, is the HP. increase a fixed number or is it on a sliding scale?

For example: If you install the kit on a bonestock MM. (about 240 hp) you can reasonably expect to go to about 370 hp. or about 130 hp increase.

If your MM is not stock and you have about 280 hp, what would be reasonable to expect in hp, gain?...130 hp or less ???

Than you in advance.

Smokie,

Our kit should add about 150 HP and about 150 ft. lbs. of torque over the stock Marauder configuration. So you should be about 375 hp to 390 hp at RWHP depending on conditions which translates to about 450 hp to 460 hp at the flywheel. Dyno numbers due vary from car to car and the temperature conditions that exist.

Thanks

Jerry

BillyGman
05-12-2005, 08:39 AM
I think that what smokey is asking is if a previously modified Marauder will benefit as much or have as big of a HP gain from the standard Trilogy supercharger kit as an otherwise completely stock Marauder would. And I think that the answer to that is..."Not quite".

I say that, because my car had $4,000 worth of modifications on it already, and was dyno tested at 294 HP at the wheels BEFORE the Trilogy kit was installed, and after I installed the Trilogy kit, it was dyno tested at 400 HP at the wheels. That's with the standard 9.5 PSI Trilogy pulley, and no custome dyno tune (just using the chip that came with the kit). But I know that what Jerry has stated about an otherwise stock Marauder gaing around 140 HP at the wheels from the Trilogy kit alone is accurate. This probably explains why a stock Marauder ET's will be decreased by a full 2 seconds by the addition of a Trilogy kit, whereas my Marauder which was already running mid 13 second ET's BEFORE the Trilogy installation, decreased the ET's by 1.6 seconds from the Trilogy kit.

That's still an awesome increase in acceleration though, and it was very dramatic. So dramatic, that it was very obvious from the very first second that I got atleast halfway into the throttle after the supercharger installation. but what's even more dramatic, and something that has yet to be brought up here, is how much the Trilogy kit has inscreased and widened the RPM powerband. What I mean is, that not only should you consider the PEAK HP increase, but the fact that the power begins earlier in the RPM range than it ever used to before the supercharger was installed (just like a much bigger engine would) and that power continues later into the RPM scale too (even with a roots supercharger).So the car actually becomes even more fun to drive and more impressive on the street, because the RPM range of power is so much wider. That's the big benefit of power adders (ie superchargers, Nitrous Oxide, and turbochargers). They not only increase the PEAK power numbers, but the power across the RPM scale is also increased giving your engine it's available power across a wider RPM scale making it more available on a street driven car. I cannot stress that enough, because I think that many people overlook that by only paying attention to the PEAK HP and PEAK torque #'s. And that isn't the whole story at all.

but as far as the specific question of exactly how much the PEAK power #'s will be increased for a previously modified Marauder, that really depends not only upon what the current peak power #'s of the Marauder in question are, but also exactly what modifications were made to it to arrive at those current power #'s. For instance, my Marauder had the headers and ful exhaust upgrade prior to the supercharger installation, but headers and a biggr diameter exhaust don't add as much of a power increase to a supercharged Marauder, as they do to an otherwise stock Marauder.

SergntMac
05-12-2005, 08:54 AM
I may have read Javier's question a bit differently, but I'll pitch this in anyway.

The bottom line, Javier, is maybe. What ever power your engine produced prior to the supercharger will be absorbed by the supercharger. If you had 300 and added 150, you may expect 450 total HP. However, other mods present that also contributed to the development of power, will continue to develop that after supercharging. Let's take Kook's headers as an example. Jerry says the kit develops about 150 RWHP on a stock MM. If you have Kook's headers in place you may expect this 150HP to be closer to 180HP...IMHO.

prchrman
05-12-2005, 09:02 AM
Smokie...'I have no ideal about your question'...just wondering how you and yours are doing...you going to be at SSHSO5? willie

BillyGman
05-12-2005, 09:03 AM
Let me put it a little more plainly, in an effort to avoid any confusion here, since I can speak from experience about this since I'm a Trilogy customer who has also performed many other modification to my Marauder before I had ever even considered the Trilogy supercharger kit......

With the standard 9.5 PSI pulley (which is how the Trilogy kit is delivered to you) otherwise stock Marauders will (and DO) put down about 385 RWHP with the chip that's included with every Trilogy kit that's burned by Lidio specifically for Trilogy Motorsports. But my Marauder with the Kooks headers and COMPLETE bolt-on exhaust package, produces 400 RWHP with that same chip that was included with the Trilogy kit. Therefore, my Marauder having the Kooks set-up has only yielded an extra 15 RWHP. that's proof that superchargers on Marauders do NOT benefit as much from exhaust upgrades as N/A Marauder will. Because N/A Marauders yield a greater HP increase from the Kooks exhaust set-up than a mere 15RWHP.

Bootlegger
05-12-2005, 09:07 AM
I can put it another way, Javier, what you planning???????? I know a great installer............

Smokie
05-12-2005, 09:18 AM
Guys, thank you very much for the input, my opinion is, that there is a sliding scale effect and the maximum gain is at the bone stock level....of course I been wrong before.:D

Willie: We are doing great, and yes me and the mrs. will be there. Look forward to seeing you and the mrs. again.

Mel: Yes we do, don't we........

BillyGman
05-12-2005, 09:25 AM
Guys, thank you very much for the input, my opinion is, that there is a sliding scale effect and the maximum gain is at the bone stock level....of course I been wrong before.:D

.....You're not wrong at all. And my Dyno #'s and ET #'s prove that. Ofcourse an otherwise stock Marauder that's Trilogy equipped will not make as much power, nor be quite as fast as one that's also been modified in other way (such as my car) but it won't be as big of a gap as you would think. This is why I always tell people to "save your money" and get the Trilogy supercharger first. Because it might very well be the last modification that you'll need. I wish I had done that, like a few others here have.

I think the one thing that I would've done other than the supercharger anyway, is the Kooks headers and exhaust since thay make the car sound so great. But it woulkdn't have been for the power increase. The Trilogy kit gave me all I wanted out of this car, and did so SAFELY.

Tallboy
05-12-2005, 11:48 AM
Bone stock my best E.T. was 15.3 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

After installing only what comes in the kit, it's down to 13.1 seconds.

:soapbox:

That's with 35lbs. of air in the stock tires.
3/4 of a tank of Amoco Ultimate.
All my crap in the trunk-including the full size spare.
Moderate wheelspin on launch.
I, Carfixer, and a mutual friend of ours have all turned 13.1 on three different nights.

MikesMerc
05-12-2005, 12:34 PM
I think Mac has hit on it.

If you have mods that improve air movement (intake and exhaust), often times the increase from a supercharger can actually be MORE than the increase seen from the SC kit on a stock application. Mods that enhance what the SC is doing often end up this way.

Sometimes these same kinds of mods don't really help the SC, and the gains that were had in NA trim are "absorbed" by the SC and you end up with less gain.

It all depends on the combination...and the tune

Billy, Just as a point of reference, I picked up 40hp going to the kooks after my blower was installed. I might be inclined to beleive that my custom tune has something to do with that. It is very possbile that your pre-fab chip tune isn't taking full advantage of the exhaust work if you are only seeing 15hp gain.

On another note, Billy hit on a key aspect of measuring power gains going with any SC kit. And that is that power gains MUST be analyzed throughout the entire power band. Peak numbers don not tell the story. In fact, peak numbers alone are usually misleading.