PDA

View Full Version : External AM/FM Antenna

03SILVERSTREAK
05-16-2005, 12:58 AM
Several months ago I believe it was Todd that showed several pictures of the 2005 CV/GM with external AM-FM Antenna mounted on the right rear quarter panel and that it seems that Ford heard enough complaints from those customers about how the window antenna are terible with reception especially if you commute to and from work driving around mountains and hills. this was a problem with me as well with so many mountains around reception was at time mostly static.

Well this past friday the 13 I decided to take the step and remedy that problem and had the 2005 CV/GM antenna system installed on my ride.

This called for a hole to be made in the right rear quarter panel so I had a body shop owner personally make the hole and treat the metal surrounding the area as to limit any rust build up and properly seal around the mount.

I personally took photo,s of a GM at a dealership with the measurements across and vertical for a precise location. it took the body guy around 3 hours to cut and shape the hole. after him mounting it , It was my turn wiring it to the radio.

The wiring was a sucess except for were the antenna mounts up too. it seems that ford did a slight change in the ford bananna plug , so I had to shrink the plug were the cable plugs into by a little crimping around the edge,s.

Well this idea worked out very , the plug stayed in its place and the reception has gone up about 50% and now I can hear stations that I had a difficult time picking up.

I want to thank Todd for showing us that photo of the 05 C/V and planting the Idea in my head. I share this with you cause there are several others that are having the same difficult reception that I once had.

Here are the photos I took...

CBT
05-16-2005, 03:17 AM
Pretty spiffy!

cyclopsram
05-16-2005, 04:02 AM
The order guide for the 2006 CV shows that the antenna is back in the rear window. The fender mount unit should have been a power retractor style in my opinion...

mdmarauder
05-16-2005, 06:17 AM
Thank God the 06 is back in the window...(no offense).

fastblackmerc
05-16-2005, 06:24 AM
Thank God the 06 is back in the window...(no offense).
IMHO... I think an external antenna poking out spoils the look of the MM. My reception isn't bad... if it was I think I'd do the same but with a power antenna... maybe recessed into the fender.

TooManyFords
05-16-2005, 07:07 AM
IMHO... I think an external antenna poking out spoils the look of the MM. My reception isn't bad... if it was I think I'd do the same but with a power antenna... maybe recessed into the fender.I think it should be an 8 foot whip mounted to one of those big chrome springs.. Heck, put a pair of them on the back and then get those drip-rail plastic hooks to bend them over like the old highway patrol cars used to have!

< running and ducking quickly!!! :D >

MENINBLK
05-16-2005, 07:26 AM
You didn't get the antenna mast with the BLUE LED on the end ???

Shaft333
05-16-2005, 07:29 AM
Did you look into getting a signal amplifier first?
You may have been able to get some improved reception without the bodywork that way.

Marauder386
05-16-2005, 08:07 AM
I was lucky enough to find at RatShack's warehouse/outlet a couple of FM amplifier/booster's...need to check the model number but these are no longer in their system...got them for a buck each ! This I still have to install but I was going to do it to solve the reception problem. I will do that today and give you some feedback ... OhTay ?

:cool:

DEFYANT
05-16-2005, 09:06 AM
Hey! Thats what a 2005 Maurader would look like! I thought of this mod also when the new patrol cars came in. But I dont listen to am/fm enough to make the modd worthy in my case. Looks factory. I like the idea of a retractable antenna too.

03SILVERSTREAK
05-16-2005, 09:31 AM
Well I didn,t expect many people here to like this idea but it was something I wanted to do because (1)-I tried the Idea of an FM Booster and all I got was an increase in static. as any ham radio operator would know one of the best ways to receive or transmit a distant signal is with a vertical antenna and (2)-if I want to install a Power antenna I can. :D

Then again if no one else doe,s this idea , then my ride will be the only one with a factory mounted antenna and I can tell the people that ask about it that it came that way...;)

Hey! Thats what a 2005 Maurader would look like! I thought of this mod also when the new patrol cars came in. But I dont listen to am/fm enough to make the modd worthy in my case. Looks factory. I like the idea of a retractable antenna too.

FordNut
05-16-2005, 10:45 AM
Well I didn,t expect many people here to like this idea but it was something I wanted to do because (1)-I tried the Idea of an FM Booster and all I got was an increase in static. as any ham radio operator would know one of the best ways to receive or transmit a distant signal is with a vertical antenna and (2)-if I want to install a Power antenna I can. :D

Then again if no one else doe,s this idea , then my ride will be the only one with a factory mounted antenna and I can tell the people that ask about it that it came that way...;)
I also tried a booster and got nothing but increased static. I wish the antenna was available as a power retractable one, I would do it in a heartbeat. I still might do it, thanks for blazing the trail.

Shaft333
05-16-2005, 12:33 PM
I agree that a better antenna is the most effective means to superior performance. I just hate to see someone hack the lines of the MM without at least trying an amp first.

FordNut
05-16-2005, 01:11 PM
I agree that a better antenna is the most effective means to superior performance. I just hate to see someone hack the lines of the MM without at least trying an amp first.
We did... it didn't help.

fastblackmerc
05-16-2005, 01:51 PM
Plenty of power antennas out there either stainless steel or black chrome. May have a problem with the steep angle on the rear fender though.

FordNut
05-16-2005, 05:00 PM
Plenty of power antennas out there either stainless steel or black chrome. May have a problem with the steep angle on the rear fender though.
Yep, that's the problem I've been having. I was considering a MkVIII power antenna, but it would have to be mounted in a different place because of the angle.

Donny Carlson
05-16-2005, 05:25 PM
use an antennae that has a flush cap on the end, painted body color, so when it's retracted, you don't see anything. It's in Custom Rodder this month if anyone is interested.

wsmylie
05-16-2005, 10:09 PM
Ah yes.... memories of good old Broderick Crawford on 1950's B&W TV barking "2150 to headquarters" into the radio microphone of one his CHP hotrods.

03silverstreak... nice looking install job, glad to hear it's working for ya. Take a lot of long trips in my MM, was having some reception problems (especially on AM while trying to follow some baseball games) and was seriously considering the exact same install. Solved the game listening dilemma last week by purchasing a Delphi "XM2GO" XM satellite receiver. Get all the MLB games, no holes to drill and can easily transfer it to my other vehicles plus can use in the house (or hotel room etc). I know it doesn't solve the local reception problems of our window antennas but wasn't too keen on drilling on the MM either.

I think it should be an 8 foot whip mounted to one of those big chrome springs.. Heck, put a pair of them on the back and then get those drip-rail plastic hooks to bend them over like the old highway patrol cars used to have!

< running and ducking quickly!!! :D >

Shaft333
05-17-2005, 05:22 AM
I... uh.. gathered that. :P

jgc61sr2002
05-17-2005, 06:38 AM
Adrian - Nice job. :D :up:

03SILVERSTREAK
05-17-2005, 08:28 AM
Although this is not a favorite of most people , I have the Ford Part numbers if anyone wants to consider taking this leap.:rolleyes:

Adrian - Nice job. :D :up: