PDA

View Full Version : heat affecting bumper?

stevengerard
05-16-2005, 09:50 AM
not sure if this is true but for those of you with custom exhaust (especially Cobra manifolds or kook's headers) have you noticed more sagging then normal on your bumper? My body guy said that he thinks there is now more heat coming off the tailpipes under the bumper and it is causing more of a sag. Enough that I have a lump on each end on top near the tail lamps where the outter supports are. I forgot to check with folks at the chicken run yesterday.

martyo
05-16-2005, 09:57 AM
not sure if this is true but for those of you with custom exhaust (especially Cobra manifolds or kook's headers) have you noticed more sagging then normal on your bumper? My body guy said that he thinks there is now more heat coming off the tailpipes under the bumper and it is causing more of a sag. Enough that I have a lump on each end on top near the tail lamps where the outter supports are. I forgot to check with folks at the chicken run yesterday.

Peek under there. There are adjustment screws that may have come loose. In my not so humble opinion, the heat at the tail pipes is not what is causing this.

UAW 588
05-16-2005, 05:53 PM
Don't look at me, cause I didn't even come close to your car yesterday. :laugh:

Rider90
05-17-2005, 07:03 AM
This is common, that is if you are talking about the sag in the middle of the bumper? can be fixed easily, I used a series of wire tires and I drilled a tiny hole under the bumper...

1) No corrosion (spellcheck..)
2) Cheap
3) Easy to replace if broken

stevengerard
05-17-2005, 03:00 PM
well, that's part of it and I am aware of that, but the bumper has a little bump near the end. I haven't had a chance to look at it, but Marty's suggestion sounds good.

CRUZTAKER
05-17-2005, 03:36 PM
In my not so humble opinion, the heat at the tail pipes is not what is causing this.
Exactly.

The sagging rear bumper has nothing to do with the exhaust. It's closer to gravity.

I need to crawl under mine and see about this adjustment you mention. I wasn't aware of that. After nearly 3 years of hanging there nice and perky, it has slowly been heading south. :(

klmore
05-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Exactly.
It's closer to gravity. After nearly 3 years of hanging there nice and perky, it has slowly been heading south. :(
I prefer mine perky too. Maybe we can get a group buy on bumper implants.:cuke:

blackf0rk
05-18-2005, 06:46 AM
I saw a ricer the other day that had a body kit and a fart can (no really!?) and he didn't have the muffler on right and it was rubbing on his bumper. The bumper was all black from the exhaust, but it was slightly melted and burned and bubbled - it was quite hilarious :)

BillyGman
05-19-2005, 08:13 AM
Even if it was the heat from the tailpipes(but I don't believe that it is) that wouldn't have anything to do with having headers since that's all the way at the other end of the exhaust.

Rider90
05-19-2005, 08:16 AM
I saw a ricer the other day that had a body kit and a fart can (no really!?) and he didn't have the muffler on right and it was rubbing on his bumper. The bumper was all black from the exhaust, but it was slightly melted and burned and bubbled - it was quite hilarious :)

I've been in Milwaukee quite a few times and it is ricer heaven, they're all over the place :shake: :down:

THE_INTERCEPTOR
05-19-2005, 10:30 AM
ricer heaven,

"Ricer Heaven?" Isn't that an oxymoron? :D ;) :cool:

There's no heaven for ricers! ;)

stevengerard
05-19-2005, 07:47 PM
Even if it was the heat from the tailpipes(but I don't believe that it is) that wouldn't have anything to do with having headers since that's all the way at the other end of the exhaust.

That's what I thought, but if I have ceramic coated headers and they withhold more of the heat and end up pushing it farther back down the pipe. Maybe by the tailpipes it all evens out but I could see how thermal dynamically the tail pipes would be hotter.

BillyGman
05-19-2005, 08:02 PM
That's what I thought, but if I have ceramic coated headers and they withhold more of the heat and end up pushing it farther back down the pipe. Maybe by the tailpipes it all evens out but I could see how thermal dynamically the tail pipes would be hotter.But even with ceramic coating they can't be holding more heat than cast iron does, and the factory exhaust manifolds are cast iron.