PDA

View Full Version : Trilogy MMs w/ Kooks Exhaust

DEFYANT
05-17-2005, 09:10 AM
Ok, so I'm going w/ Kooks. Question now is, which ones, 1 5/8" x 2.5" OR 1 3/4" x 3"?? Research says since I am Trilogy S/Ced the bigger set is better. But in my search, I can not find a review specific to the larger set.

I do not know if they still even make two different sizes or if DR is offering a choice in his current GP???

Dennis Reinhart
05-17-2005, 09:15 AM
Unless you are running high boost would I consider the larger headers, which are more expensive and require a speacial order.

BillyGman
05-17-2005, 11:21 AM
I didn't think that Kooks even offers the larger ones anymore because i thought that's what Nick at Kooks told me when I called him toplace my order. but even if they are, you don't need 1 3/4" primary tubes on a 281 cubic inch engine like the Marauder unless you're making 20+PSI of boost pressure. The smaller 1 5/8" primary tubes will still offer a lot more flow over and above the stock exhaust, and will not sacrifice low-end power. the bigger you go with the primary tube diameter on the headers, the more likely it is that it will sacrifice low-end for high RPM power.

I have the Kooks 1 5/8" primary tube headers, along with the Kooks complete bolt-on 2.5" diameter exhaust, and it gives a decent power increase across the RPM scale, although not a big enough one that I'd opt for the exhaust upgrade for the power gain alone IF I already had the Trilogy blower. but I like the sound it gives your car which IMO makes it worth it.

wesman
05-17-2005, 11:40 AM
The 2.5s sound bloody good, everyone at the autoX this weekend loved it. First one this season.

MikesMerc
05-17-2005, 03:18 PM
Ok, so I'm going w/ Kooks. Question now is, which ones, 1 5/8" x 2.5" OR 1 3/4" x 3"??

Easy choice....the 1 5/8" x 2.5.

The bigger headers (if even available) will hurt low end torque. Although you have a roots blower, your not always going to want to be "in the boost". Often times you're going to just want to putter off the line at 1/3 pedal. That's when you'll need your TQ. The bigger size is simply overkill for your power level and will provide little (if any, and only at peak) in performance over the smaller set up. unless you plan on huge boost and 600 RWHP, the smaller set up is the best pick.

the fat bastid
05-17-2005, 03:29 PM
my call went something like this:

"i plan on getting a s/c later, should i go bigger?"
"na, the regular ones are good up to 500hp"
"500? i'd blow my block out first..."
"yep"

MARAUDER S/C #5
05-17-2005, 05:38 PM
my call went something like this:

"i plan on getting a s/c later, should i go bigger?"
"na, the regular ones are good up to 500hp"
"500? i'd blow my block out first..."
"yep"Sounds like your getting the Vortech set-up. :P ...........:eek: :banned:

DEFYANT
05-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Sounds like your getting the Vortech set-up. :P ...........:eek: :banned::flamer: Schit Stirrer! :puke:

On another note:rolleyes: , Thanks for all the great replies. 1 5/8" x 2.5 it is.:burnout:

stevengerard
05-17-2005, 05:59 PM
yeah but with the vortec I was able to hook my kook's up backwards - gave me more torque down low.

agree with them above. I will tell you this, they are louder then you think they will be. I'm adjusting to it though. Everyone else who hears them says they love da sound.

DEFYANT
05-17-2005, 06:20 PM
yeah but with the vortec I was able to hook my kook's up backwards - gave me more torque down low.

agree with them above. I will tell you this, they are louder then you think they will be. I'm adjusting to it though. Everyone else who hears them says they love da sound.
I heard them during the last N/E MM meet in NJ. Valkyrie and I were cruzin out to LINY, the whole way I got to listen and evaluate the Kooks on his MM. I may opt out of the mufflers though. This will keep the initial financial hit down and allow me to evaluate the headers and x-pipe w/ the stock mufflers.

I have a few ideas on the cat-back. ;)