PDA

View Full Version : Feature or flaw?

GarageMahal
03-02-2003, 11:45 AM
A few weeks ago when it was really cold up here (under 10 degrees) I noticed that the transmission would not shift into overdrive until the car heated up. It did this several days in row until the weather warmed up a bit.

Is this something I should be worried about? I have terrible luck with transmissions.

jta

cyclone03
03-02-2003, 12:03 PM
Next time it happens wiggle the shift handle and see if it shifts up.

RF Overlord
03-02-2003, 12:18 PM
Garage:

Both of my previous cars with OD (one Ford and one Chevy) would not shift into OD until the temp gauge started to read up a little; same with my last two work trucks (also one each) ...something to do with not lugging the engine when it's cold...if everything else seems to feel normal, I wouldn't be concerned. To be honest, I hadn't noticed the effect on my MM, as the chip keeps it from going into OD below 40 MPH no matter what the temp is...

Murader03
03-02-2003, 12:26 PM
I never paid attention to this, but now that you mentioned it, mine acts the same. It takes a few minutes after driving away before it will drop into overdirve. Since I didn't have my '03CV Sport long enough to run in cold weather I don't know if it would have done the same thing. I would like to think that it was designed into the shift pattern and ECM that it wouldn't shift until it started to heat up. Probably has something to do with the EPA. Come to think iof it, I haven't had any problem with the car as some have had. Knock on wood, oops! that,s my head :help:

jgc61sr2002
03-02-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by GarageMahal
A few weeks ago when it was really cold up here (under 10 degrees) I noticed that the transmission would not shift into overdrive until the car heated up. It did this several days in row until the weather warmed up a bit.

Is this something I should be worried about? I have terrible luck with transmissions.

jta I belive that the computer is programed that way to allow the trans to warm up . Thought I read that someware. John

GarageMahal
03-02-2003, 01:31 PM
I am glad to hear that this is normal. I actually like the way the car shifts when it is cold. It is a bit odd cruising at 70 in 3rd but is does make the heat come on sooner ;)

jta

CRUZTAKER
03-02-2003, 01:36 PM
That explains that, I thought it was just the chip. I never drove the car in temps warmer than say 34.

You guys got it bad in MN. I lived (I should say "was held") in a place called 'redwing' near the twin cities in the late 70's, man is it a frozen tundra up there in the winter.......

Strider74
03-03-2003, 03:42 PM
Hey I grew up in Red Wing, its not a bad town. But I will admit it does get cold up here. But so far my Marauder handles the snow perfectly

CRUZTAKER
03-03-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Strider74
Hey I grew up in Red Wing, its not a bad town......

Not the TOWN! .........nudge,nudge.

TripleTransAm
03-03-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by jgc61sr2002
I belive that the computer is programed that way to allow the trans to warm up . Thought I read that someware. John

On Marauders, is it really the 4th gear that isn't engaging or is it the Torque Converter clutch not being commanded to engage?

I ask this because traditionally, it's the TCC that is not actuated when cold instead of 4th being locked out (but with electronically-controlled transmissions, anything is possible!).

I tested this on my GTA way back when I bought it, trying to figure out why things acted differently when cold. The way to check this out is:

Drive normally with the engine/tranny cold. Keep OD off. Note engine RPMs in 3rd while cruising. Without changing your throttle position, gently tap the brakes. If the RPMs rise slightly, you just unlocked the TCC. If it doesn't change, you know you weren't locked up.

Click on the OD. If the RPMs fall, it's going into 4th. If it doesn't change, you're not going into 4th at this temperature.

As a side-note, the explanation for this behaviour back then was to keep RPMs higher for quicker catalytic converter light-off (cats only work when at a really high temperature). I can't state with any certainty whether this is the case with the Marauder or if it is for some other reason.