PDA

View Full Version : Loud Exaust now (Slightly) Quieter.

ctrcbob
05-26-2005, 01:50 PM
OK. I purchased my 03 about three months ago. Found it had Flowmaster mufflers and no Resonators. Much too loud. My wife hated it, and although it did not bother me very much, what did bother me was when neighbors would tell me "hey, I heard you drive in last night" or "I heard you go out early this morning".

Well this morning, I telephoned Flowmaster in California for information. They told me that they did not make a system for the Marauder, and any Flowmasters on Marauders had to have been custom installed. Also said that they do not make any Resonators.

I then went to a local muffler shop that advertises that he does Flowmasters. Told him that I wanted it slightly quieter and could he install resonators. He looked at it, and said YES. First, he told me that who ever put the system on this car did a good job. He then cut off the pipes aft of the axle, did a lot of measuring, made new short pipes, MIG welded the new resonators to the chrome tips, forward to the new short pipes, and welded the whole thing to the pipe that was already there.

I asked him if he could tell which series Flowmasters I have. Got the number off the end of each muffler and looked it up in his book. I have the Series 50 Flowmasters.

Bottom line. They worked on it for over two hours , and it only cost me a total of $101.60 parts, labor and tax included. Best of all, the system, still has a nice sound but is quieter. :D

Fourth Horseman
05-26-2005, 02:47 PM
OK. I purchased my 03 about three months ago. Found it had Flowmaster mufflers and no Resonators. Much too loud. My wife hated it, and although it did not bother me very much, what did bother me was when neighbors would tell me "hey, I heard you drive in last night" or "I heard you go out early this morning".

I had the FlowMaster 40s custom installed on my car. In fact, I think I might have been the first person on this forum to do so. One of the first, anyway. I also have the resonator-less tips. Personally, I love the sound. It's right where I want it. None of my neighbors have ever complained. In fact, all I get is compliments about it. And with all the ricers in my neighborhood, if anybody did complain I'd just laugh in their face and point to their kids' fart can.

In any event, the FlowMaster 50s are a good choice as they're quieter than the 40s, as I understand it. You could also consider going with another brand of muffler. Lots of folks on this forum like the Magnaflows. You might be able to quiet the car down a bit more that way.

Definitely enjoy your car the way you want, but I say: It's a muscle car. It should be loud! :)

:burnout:

twolow
05-26-2005, 03:21 PM
Glad you found a shop with some good people to help.

I have the Flow 40's with the stock tips and the first few weeks with them it seemed tough, loud, and cool and now its starting to just sound stock to me again.

I wonder if I'm just used to it or if they had a 'break in' period. Anyone know?

ctrcbob
05-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Took my wife out for supper tonight, and she did say it was quieter, so now I'm happy. (I learned a long time ago that "When Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy; and when Poppa ain't happy, ain't nobody cares" :argue: )

jgc61sr2002
05-26-2005, 04:46 PM
Took my wife out for supper tonight, and she did say it was quieter, so now I'm happy. (I learned a long time ago that "When Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy; and when Poppa ain't happy, ain't nobody cares" :argue: )

Very true. :D

Krytin
05-26-2005, 05:04 PM
Glad you found a shop with some good people to help.

I have the Flow 40's with the stock tips and the first few weeks with them it seemed tough, loud, and cool and now its starting to just sound stock to me again.

I wonder if I'm just used to it or if they had a 'break in' period. Anyone know?
They usually get louder over time. Maybe you're just getting used to it!

Haggis
05-26-2005, 05:25 PM
Now we know who the 'BOSS' is. :baaa: http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/7/whip.gif
..and welcome to the 'club'. Yes Dear. :bop:

GA-Marauder
05-26-2005, 10:53 PM
IYou could also consider going with another brand of muffler. Lots of folks on this forum like the Magnaflows. You might be able to quiet the car down a bit more that way.

Definitely enjoy your car the way you want, but I say: It's a muscle car. It should be loud! :)

:burnout:
Here's to that.:beer: I have the Magnaflows, but with stock tips. Also, 2.5" SS from my cats, through a custom x-pipe and into the Magnaflows. TAF here in the ATL area owns Grand Muffler did a great job on it. It is a nice deep sound, but not quite as loud as I wanted, so I am having delete tips installed in the next week or so, to ramp it up a bit.:D

Glenn
05-27-2005, 08:15 PM
I never though my E/S was very loud, but it is interesting sometimes what other people think about it (Cobra headers with X-pipe to stock mufflers and tips). I was pulling the MM around from a parking lot to pick-up my Mother and family from dinner. The first thing my son says to me is how loud the MM sounds. He does not drive with me very much in the MM due to his stay at the USNA and training cruises. I thought my MM was just alittle louder then stock, but apparently not. So now my wife comments on how loud it is when I leave for work in the morning. The seed has been planted and grows. Life goes on.

:nono:

Glenn

mpearce
05-27-2005, 08:32 PM
I, like Fourth Horseman, just have the Flowmaster 40 mufflers, with the Megs Delete tips. I was amazed how much extra sound this modest change produced. I'm very happy with the results. With me, the more aggressive the sound, the better. This certianly wasn't a mod for HP, strictly a sound mod.

-Mat