PDA

View Full Version : Warped Rotors

LVMarauder
05-27-2005, 08:14 PM
I got my car back from the dealership today and i have warped rotors. The car has 24000 on it. Is this covered by warranty or is it in my hands? If so im going to get some baer rotors, high friction pads and SS brake lines. Thanks guys. - Dave

Rider90
05-27-2005, 08:15 PM
Should definatly be under warranty, but then again, I can picture them saying "You drive it harder than it was meant to be driven." :rolleyes:

SergntMac
05-27-2005, 09:04 PM
Should definatly be under warranty, but then again, I can picture them saying "You drive it harder than it was meant to be driven." :rolleyes:
Agreed...If you're sticking with the OEM pads and rotors, and playing innocent, this should be a warranteed repair. However, if you don't care, and plan to upgrade anyway, why bother undertaking the argument?

It's my understanding that warped rotors of any manfacturer, can be corrected by turning them? It's been my experience, even with a Baer kit...If you need a middle of the road option, give it a try?

wchain
05-31-2005, 08:11 AM
I have found with this platform (03+ Panther) warpage occurs much faster when brakes are applied at above 100 MPH. Remember this, resurfacing the rotor removes material off of it, and later, you will be applying the SAME amount of braking force and heat to the rotor, only with less material this time. So in effect the 'smaller' rotor has to absorb the same amount of heat as before, and it will probably warp faster than the first time.

If you do lots of aggressive driving, where you are stopping hard and high speed braking, you might consider BAer like Mac Said, or perhaps PowerSlots, or Cross Drilled, or even COMMAND Automotives Cryogenic Rotors.

purelux
05-31-2005, 08:46 AM
I wouldn't get crossdrilled I would get slotted rotors. Crossdrilled are said to crack around the holes but if driled correctly they don't. However they as I experienced can still warp in my case in a ring pattern in-line with the holes. I had kvr rotors and kvr carbon fibre pads. Slotted improve bite heat up the pads a bit quicker and take away the gas . Also they improve wet braking like crossdrilled but usually don't have the problems or loose as much surface area as crossdrilled. Cryo are supposed to hold up better and not warp as soon or require as much if any break in. Though some rotors like brembo say they are fully cured and don't need a break-in either.

I have a 98 towncar.

twolow
05-31-2005, 09:23 AM
My MM's OASIS history showed the previous owner got his rotors replaced due to warping. He brought it in for 'shaking steering wheel' and rotors were replaced under warranty.

BTW, the steering wheel shakes now and I know the rotors are warped but putting off the brake job.

jgc61sr2002
05-31-2005, 09:45 AM
I have found with this platform (03+ Panther) warpage occurs much faster when brakes are applied at above 100 MPH. Remember this, resurfacing the rotor removes material off of it, and later, you will be applying the SAME amount of braking force and heat to the rotor, only with less material this time. So in effect the 'smaller' rotor has to absorb the same amount of heat as before, and it will probably warp faster than the first time.

If you do lots of aggressive driving, where you are stopping hard and high speed braking, you might consider BAer like Mac Said, or perhaps PowerSlots, or Cross Drilled, or even COMMAND Automotives Cryogenic Rotors.

Wes - I concur, the thinner the rotor the faster they warp.

jgc61sr2002
05-31-2005, 09:49 AM
My MM's OASIS history showed the previous owner got his rotors replaced due to warping. He brought it in for 'shaking steering wheel' and rotors were replaced under warranty.

BTW, the steering wheel shakes now and I know the rotors are warped but putting off the brake job.

Ryan - The front brakes are critical and I would have them checked ASAP for your safety. IMO.

twolow
05-31-2005, 10:10 AM
Ryan - The front brakes are critical and I would have them checked ASAP for your safety. IMO.
I appreciate the concern :)

Its not as bad as I may have lead to believe, its a slight shake under quick braking. I want a complete front to back brake job and am waiting for the funds to do so...I am however driving the other rides more and the MM less - just in case.

I work about 5 minutes from home so my time on the road is at the extreme minimum which is a good thing.