PDA

View Full Version : ...What mods require a new tune?

Petrograde
05-28-2005, 06:41 PM
I just made an appointment for a dyno tune. :cuke:

I know the PHP box I have needs to have the A/F tweaked. ...and of course a gear change requires it....

I'm thinking about getting the PHP intake spacer and underdrive pullies, do these require a re-tune?

What else?

MM03MOK
05-28-2005, 06:47 PM
I'm thinking about getting the PHP intake spacer and underdrive pullies, do these require a re-tune?

What else?We had our idle rpm adjusted up after the U/P were installed.

Slowpoke
05-28-2005, 06:57 PM
We had our idle rpm adjusted up after the U/P were installed.

yep; my first tune did not take into account the u/d pulleys and as a result my idle was always too low when i was at a stop light; was constantly putting it into neutral ar red lights to compensate. My most recent tune fixed the problem.

for optimum performance i would think any engine or transmission related mod would result in a varying need to a re-tune.

i am by no means an expert, just giving my perspective and some good old fashioned commen sense.

DEFYANT
05-28-2005, 06:58 PM
These are good questions. I already need to have my chip reburned to permanantly disable the traction control!

Petrograde
05-28-2005, 10:11 PM
thanks for the info!
unfortunately,.. I have to wait until July 9th for my tune,.. busy place I guess,

well,.. I guess I have time to get the PHP intake spacer,... and maybe underdrive pullies installed. :D

BillyGman
05-29-2005, 12:11 AM
I can tell you what mods don't require a tune. Headers and other exhaust changes do NOT. Nor does a Trilogy installation since the kit comes with a chip that has the required tune built right into it. And although some guys get a re-tune when they get the Stallion Torque converter, I didn't, and it was fine.

Slowpoke
05-29-2005, 06:32 AM
I can tell you what mods don't require a tune. Headers and other exhaust changes do NOT. Nor does a Trilogy installation since the kit comes with a chip that has the required tune built right into it. And although some guys get a re-tune when they get the Stallion Torque converter, I didn't, and it was fine.

i am not sure this is correct. if improved exhaust increases performance by letting more air out; more air needs to go 'in'. if more air goes 'in', would the air fuel table need to be altered to account for the increased airflow? Maybe a car doesn't 'need' a re-tune after a new exhaust, but a re-tune might improve performace and allow you to fully realize the benefits of the new exhaust. I guess its all how you define a 'need' for a re-tune. And I didn't really 'need' a reteun after the new PHP airbox - the car still worked great! I was just not happy with my mileage and my RPM level with brakes applied, but the car certainly worked fine in all other respects.

Smokie
05-29-2005, 06:42 AM
I just made an appointment for a dyno tune. :cuke:

I know the PHP box I have needs to have the A/F tweaked. ...and of course a gear change requires it....

What else?If you have not yet purchased the intake spacer and U/D's send me a PM I have both, no longer need them and can save you money. Steeda set of undies and PHP spacer less than 10 months old both.

Petrograde
05-29-2005, 06:59 AM
You've got a PM :D

SergntMac
05-29-2005, 07:53 AM
i am not sure this is correct. if improved exhaust increases performance by letting more air out; more air needs to go 'in'. if more air goes 'in', would the air fuel table need to be altered to account for the increased airflow? My goodness, I think YOU got a tune up too, 'Poke. You picked up quite a bit from Jerry V.

I have to agree with your point of view. Perhaps a retune isn't necessary after some mods, like headers, but wouldn't you want to exploit all the features and benefits of the mod? My advice to Petro is to wait until he's got this year's mods installed, then get the dyno tune, you'll get more bang for the buck.

Petrograde
05-29-2005, 08:08 AM
... My advice to Petro is to wait until he's got this year's mods installed, then get the dyno tune, you'll get more bang for the buck...

Good advice Sarge! I'm getting Javier's u/d's and spacer. I'll definately get those installed before the tune. :woohoo:

I'm really stoked,.. I can't wait! :beer: