PDA

View Full Version : Illinois Owners Take Note

SergntMac
05-29-2005, 05:31 AM
I snipped this from another web site, just wanted to give y'all a heads up on it. I haven't confirmed anything, this may be a hoax, so don't take any action on this 411 lone. If it IS true, bummer...

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT (IMMEDIATE ACTION NEEDED)
Illinois Bill to Ban Aftermarket Exhaust Systems on the Move

A bill (H.B. 2221) to ban vehicles equipped with a "muffler or exhaust system that clearly has been modified to amplify or increase the noise of the vehicle" was introduced at the last minute and is moving through the Illinois Legislature at breakneck speed. Under the bill, vehicles determined to have been modified by virtue of a "visual observation" will fail emissions inspection.
Time is of the Essence! We Urge You to Call or Fax Members of the Senate Environment and Energy Committee (List Attached) Immediately to Oppose H.B. 2221

H.B. 2221 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are
designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing
emissions.

H.B. 2221 does not supply emissions inspectors with a clear standard to enforce (e.g. decibel limit under a sound test procedure), allowing them to make subjective judgments based on "visual observations" on whether or not a modified exhaust system is in violation.

H.B. 2221 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.

H.B. 2221 would make it impossible for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options.

Call or fax (no e-mail addresses available) members of the Senate Environment and Energy Committee immediately to oppose H.B. 2221.
This bill tramples on the rights of vehicle enthusiasts in Illinois.

Illinois Senate Environment and Energy Committee

James F. Clayborne, Jr.
(217) 782-5399
(618) 274-3010 FAX

Antonio Munoz
(217) 782-9415
(773) 869-9046 FAX
William R. Haine
(217) 782-5247
(618) 465-4816 FAX

Don Harmon
(217) 782-8176
(708) 848-2022 FAX

Rickey R. Hendon
(217) 782-6252
(773) 265-8617 FAX

Mike Jacobs
(217) 782-5957

Martin A. Sandoval
(217) 782-5304
(708) 656-7608 FAX

Donne E. Trotter
(217) 782-3201
(773) 933-5498 FAX

Dave Sullivan
(217) 782-3875
(847) 734-0036 FAX

Kirk W. Dillard
(217) 782-8148
(630) 969-1007 FAX

Steven J. Rauschenberger
(217) 782-7746
(847) 622-0948 FAX

Peter J. Roskam
(217) 782-8022
(630) 690-4505 FAX

Dan Rutherford
(217) 782-6597
(815) 842-2875 FAX

Smokie
05-29-2005, 05:51 AM
Hi Sarge, we have some regulations in the books down here that deal with decibel levels only, no emissions concerns. It allows a LEO to stop an offending (loud) vehicle an issue a citation.

I don't have a problem with that one, because after talking with many LEO's it is primarily used to stop ricers with coffee can muflers.

Rider90
05-29-2005, 07:52 AM
So they can only "Ban" you when you are at the Air Team, now I'm not concerned, and will follow through with my muffler of choice. It is the ricer crowd that will get hassled far beyond us.

This is my favorite

H.B. 2221 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.
What a line right there...

Atleast the people they list actually are involved in the Illinois whatever.

Bradley G
05-29-2005, 08:15 AM
If this is sucessful,The bikers around here are gonna be:mad2:

For every loud car there are 100+ bikers in my area!
Bradley G

Long Live #3
05-31-2005, 06:54 AM
And I was going to put a Gibson exhaust on my Blazer.

SergntMac
05-31-2005, 08:31 AM
If this is sucessful,The bikers around here are gonna be:mad2:

For every loud car there are 100+ bikers in my area!
Bradley G
Well, I've never seen a motorcycle get called in for inspection by the AirTeam, so, I'm not sure if they will be affected. However, if it's going to be a "visual" thingy, those of us with headers may have a problem. Moreover, there are no "decibel" based standards to meet (or violate) on the books yet, it's left to the impression of the observer as being "too loud" or not. So, if this gets rushed through, could be a headache for us. If enforced as the emmission standards are enforced, when you fail, you have to prove changes/improvements, or, your license plates and driver's license is suspended until you comply. For those who need a driver's license for employment (like me) it will be a mess. Buy a new "factory" exhaust system, or, loose my job. Let's hope some of those state reps named ^ there bring some common sense to the table?

Rider90
05-31-2005, 09:28 AM
I am already licensed in Wisconsin, as in that is where my Drivers License is from, because if I didn't do that I would have to pay out of state fees for school. If the Illinois laws start cracking down, I'll register and insure my car there - heck, the county I am registered in doesn't even do emissions testing.

I guess I have the upper hand.

Shaft333
05-31-2005, 09:38 AM
Only after ricers?
A law like that should not be accepted by any automotive enthusiast.

2003_MM_FYRE49
06-02-2005, 06:54 PM
This Bill has passed the House and is now in Rules Committee on the Senate Floor. This Bill has been sponcered entirely by the democrates, and not a single Republican voted in favor of this bill. Call your senators and make your voice heard. Its time for Blowjobovitch and his cronies to go find another job and give back this state to the people who care!:mad2:

03marauder
06-03-2005, 04:41 AM
I just saw this today, but I'm not sure if it's current. There is no date on the posting.

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT (FINAL UPDATE)

Illinois Bill to Ban Aftermarket Exhaust Systems Dies for the Year as Legislative Session Adjourns

The SEMA Action Network stalled final action on Illinois legislation (H.B. 2221) that threatened to ban vehicles equipped with a “muffler or exhaust system that clearly has been modified to amplify or increase the noise of the vehicle.” The bill had been quickly passed by the House in the final days of the legislative session, before being stopped by the SAN in the Senate. Under the measure, vehicles determined to have been modified by virtue of a “visual observation” would have failed emissions inspection. How emissions inspectors would have determined that an exhaust system increases noise by virtue of a “visual inspection” was not explained in the bill.

stevengerard
06-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Yes it is, I just swaped emails with one of the deligates, he said it seems dead for now but keep an eye on it.

SergntMac
06-04-2005, 06:39 AM
My employer publishes a daily bulletin and uses it for announcements and reminders. In yesterday's bulletin, a note from our Legal Affairs division...

SPECIAL NOTICE that section 11-4-1160(d) of the minicipal code, known as the modified muffler ordinance provides, in part: No person shall modify or change the exhaust muffler, intake muffler or any other noise abatement device of any motor vehicle in a manner such that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is increased about that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured. Therefore, in order to write a violation of the modified muffler ordinance, there must be 1)evidence hat a muffler on a vehicle has been modified; and 2)evidence that the officer knew that the modified muffler is louder than the original muffler. Officer should insure that when they are writing tickets under the modified muffler ordinance, both elements are present. If there is no information as to the noise level without the modified muffler, then a violation of the ordinance cannot be established and a ticket should not be issued. However, please note that 9-76-140(a)(2) provides that no person shall use a muffler cut-out, by-pass, straight pipe or similar device on a motor vehicle driven on the public way.

Our city fathers are known to create ordinances that are not enforceable, and they have pulled some real blunders in the almost 30 years I've been doing their cop job. For a notice like this to come from "Legal Affairs" usually means someone got pinched for BS, and a law suit is pending. Who in their right mind would write a ticket for "loud mufflers" without having any proof of how loud they were? Everytime I've written the ticket, it was because the muffler was gone, or hanging off in a manner where I could see a broken pipe. But, writing a ticket just because it sounds loud...(shrug) only in Chicago, I guess...

SouLRioT
06-04-2005, 07:00 AM
Just an FYI, I see citations often from our community policing units for modified exhuast. So its not just Chi-town officers that write those tickets. Granted the guys that get this ticket do usally get more for other infractions aswell. And as smokie said its usally ricers too.

TooManyFords
06-04-2005, 07:51 AM
Guess I'd better keep my cut-outs closed for the next Chicken Run!

:D

2003_MM_FYRE49
06-04-2005, 09:08 AM
I just saw this today, but I'm not sure if it's current. There is no date on the posting.

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT (FINAL UPDATE)

Illinois Bill to Ban Aftermarket Exhaust Systems Dies for the Year as Legislative Session Adjourns

The SEMA Action Network stalled final action on Illinois legislation (H.B. 2221) that threatened to ban vehicles equipped with a “muffler or exhaust system that clearly has been modified to amplify or increase the noise of the vehicle.” The bill had been quickly passed by the House in the final days of the legislative session, before being stopped by the SAN in the Senate. Under the measure, vehicles determined to have been modified by virtue of a “visual observation” would have failed emissions inspection. How emissions inspectors would have determined that an exhaust system increases noise by virtue of a “visual inspection” was not explained in the bill.
It is true that the bill is dead for now. The Republicans stalled the Bill in the House Rules Committee until just before they adjourned for the summer when it came out of rules the Dems amended it and pushed it through where it died in the Senate Rules Committee. Hopefully, if we all scream louder than our mufflers at our senators they will hear us and leave the bill in Rules and let it die for good when the General Assembly reconveines in the Fall Session. A very good friend of mine is State Representative Tim Schmitz and he will be keeping an eye on this for us.

MarauderBoy
06-07-2005, 08:22 PM
got an urgent email on this b4 Memorial Day. Called and voiced my opposition.
Glad it has died for now.