PDA

View Full Version : noisy brakes

screamdennis
03-04-2003, 03:30 AM
my brakes have this squeaking when applied it sounds like its coming from the rear brakes , iam going back to the dealer and have them fixed , its really embarassing to have a nice car and have that horrible brake noise.
has anybody had this problem ? my mm only has 3300 miles on it:help:

CRUZTAKER
03-04-2003, 03:58 AM
My front brakes squeak when hot. But only in the driveway backing and turning . In the past it had something to with the brake pad manufacturing or something to do with the way the pad was or was not glued to the pad body. I am not sure on the MM. WOW, you would'nt think your brakes would EVER get got up there in the tundra!

Aeroman
03-05-2003, 09:17 PM
My front brakes squeaked. Took it back to the dealer. They deglazed the brakes and champhered the edges. Problem gone

Reaper948
03-05-2003, 10:15 PM
squeak only in morning when really cold.....
gone after i do a few dashes.....

screamdennis
03-06-2003, 02:46 AM
it started when it was wet out and went away when dry , but its all the time now . they make allot of noise when backing up and also forward.

aaronwilmington
04-07-2003, 01:20 PM
I have had squeaking brakes since the first week. I brought this to the dealer's attention. Their response was, he drove the car and didn't find anything wrong. (Same thing I got from the dealer when I had the overdrive problem).

Next he told me to read page 119 of the owner's manual. Now the brake pedal has developed a strange noise when brakes are applied. Will be on my list for the dealer on Wed.

I was also told by the dealer that more expensive cars have squeaking brakes. I hate squeaking brakes!!!!

engine23ccvfd
04-07-2003, 01:41 PM
Aaron sounds like you got a lazy dealer...

RF Overlord
04-07-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by engine23ccvfd
Aaron sounds like you got a lazy dealer...

BIG time... :rolleyes:

Mine squeak just a tad only when there's been a lot of condensation overnight, and only the first couple of times they're applied...no problems otherwise...

Wags
04-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Mine are the same as Reaper948's. Started at around 7k miles on it. I have just over 13k now, and it still does the same thing.

Wags

David Morton
05-26-2004, 10:28 PM
There used to be a company that made a compound that was painted right on the surface of the pads (not the back, between the pad and caliper) that was very effective with pad squeals on Monte Carlos and El Caminos back in the nineties. Both were notorious comeback kids for the complaint until we started using the stuff. Mention it to the service writer next time you're in.

Dr Caleb
05-27-2004, 07:08 AM
Mine squeak just a tad only when there's been a lot of condensation overnight, and only the first couple of times they're applied...no problems otherwise...

Ditto. I drive the MM once or twice a month (gas prices :shake: ) and the rotors tend to have a light rust on them. One good stop, and the problem is erased.

TripleTransAm
05-27-2004, 08:48 AM
I get the high pitched squeal (single frequency, not the multi-frequency you get from rough metal on rough metal) from what sounds like my rear passenger brakes as well. Only when totally cold, and unfortunately it lasts for up to 5 minutes. Like others here, it also annoys me after paying this much moolah for a car of this 'class' to be squealing all over the neighborhood like it was a ratted-out 1990 Toyota Tercel hatchback.

It only happens on light stops, though, and only as the car is dropping to a really slow speed or to a complete stop.

Haggis
05-27-2004, 09:11 AM
Ditto. I drive the MM once or twice a month (gas prices :shake: ) and the rotors tend to have a light rust on them. One good stop, and the problem is erased.

Ditto again. I also have rust build up on the Rotors, any way to keep it off. It really doesn't look good to have a new car cleaned and polished car and have rusty Rotors.

Dr Caleb
05-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Ditto again. I also have rust build up on the Rotors, any way to keep it off. It really doesn't look good to have a new car cleaned and polished car and have rusty Rotors.

Nope. The stock rotors contain iron. Iron rusts when wet. The only way would be to change the composition of the rotors so they didn't contain iron. Composite ceramic, Aluminum or some such other material.

The easiest way would be to drive it more often. :)