PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded Exhaust With Delete Tips?

oldekid
05-31-2005, 06:08 PM
Who has done an exhaust upgrade, and changed out the tips? Was it worth it? I have installed the Ford Dual Mode Mufflers, and am somewhat happy, but I think it could still be a little louder.

I am considering the Meg's Delete Tips, but I would like to hear from someone who has already been through this, to see if it is really worth doing. I just feel that the stock tips might not be letting the duals show their stuff.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

LVMarauder
05-31-2005, 06:29 PM
I have the Megs delete tips installed. Got them from Wes Chain, a supporting vendor on this site. They are awsome, the first time they started the car with them one there was a loud WOOOSH from the tailpipes that sounds great, louder at all throttle positions , I would get them. I do have the 40 Sereies flowmasters though, so im not sure how the dual modes would sound.

mpearce
05-31-2005, 06:38 PM
I have Flowmaster 40 mufflers, and the Megs tips. I woudln't necessarily describe the sound as a woosh. I had both mods done at the same time. Both mods together compliment each other well. The sound is great, louder, deeper, the tips allow for more of a burble/rumble at idle. If you get the tips, it will compliment your mufflers. Hope this helps.

-Mat

oldekid
05-31-2005, 06:40 PM
I have the Megs delete tips installed. Got them from Wes Chain, a supporting vendor on this site. They are awsome, the first time they started the car with them one there was a loud WOOOSH from the tailpipes that sounds great, louder at all throttle positions , I would get them. I do have the 40 Sereies flowmasters though, so im not sure how the dual modes would sound.Thanks, I appreciate the input. I'll probably end up ordering them. I'm sure they can't do anything but help.

Herco23
01-24-2007, 09:45 PM
I have them too but I have a set of Borla Mufflers and the sound is very deep instead of loud. I love the sound.

JonW
01-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Can you give me more info on the Ford dualmode mufflers? Is there supposed to be a performance gain, or just sound level increase?

99SVT
01-25-2007, 12:47 AM
They work pretty good, I have them in my Cobra. It sounds stock at idle, but when you hit it above ~2000rpm the back pressure opens a valve inside the muffler making it sound almost like straight pipes. It's all based on engine load, I can have a quiet conversation with a passenger while cruising at 4500rpm or drown them out with a blip of the throttle at 3000. :) Sometimes it does see a little too quiet though, even with an aftermarket X-pipe.

more info:
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13688&page=3

magindat
01-25-2007, 07:28 AM
I have magnaflow 14's. Pretty much straight through mufflers with delete tips. I get gobs of compliments from Marauders owners and general public on the sound!

Architect
01-25-2007, 08:57 AM
I have them too but I have a set of Borla Mufflers and the sound is very deep instead of loud. I love the sound.
Which Borla mufflers are you running?
are they quieter than the Magnaflows and Flowmasters..?
I know it's a matter of opinion, but I was just curious as how you would describe them...
Thanks, Architect

wchain
01-25-2007, 10:21 AM
Which Borla mufflers are you running?
are they quieter than the Magnaflows and Flowmasters..?
I know it's a matter of opinion, but I was just curious as how you would describe them...
Thanks, Architect

I had borlas on mine too. Universal fit stainless, I believe they were 18 or 20", with the 4" tips they sounded good, but not as loud as Flowmasters or Dynomax. When installing, be very careful, Borlas casings are very thin.

Marauderjack
01-25-2007, 10:51 AM
In my "QUEST" for the right sound (for me) the biggest volume change came with the high flow cats!! The "Old School" gurgle came with the custom "H" pipe.....Now the sound is PERFECT for me with no cabin drone!!:beer:

I would be glad to email someone a sound clip of my car to post here since I don't have a clue how to do that.:shake:

Everyone I spoke with discouraged the delete tips because of increased cabin noise (drone)!!

Marauderjack:burnout:

Hotrauder
01-25-2007, 10:58 AM
FMS Dual Modes and 4" delete from Wes w/ Cobra Ceramic coated Manifolds w/ Magnaflhttp://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/3/8/5/5/IMG_0074.jpgow high flo cats and X pipe from Reinhard Automotive= Loud ..but they look good...to me at least. Dennis:D

ckadiddle
01-25-2007, 11:47 AM
Short vid clips of Magindat and myself at MVIV track meet:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748029/2

I have 14" magnaflows with stock tips. The quality isn't real good, but I think Magindat's sound is a bit deeper. Both sound darned good at WOT, though. :)

If this was just a fun car for me to drive on sunny days, I'd probably have delete tips with magnapacks! But it isn't, so I like it the way I have it now. Mild at low throttle, screams loud at WOT.

CanadaMarauder
01-25-2007, 08:25 PM
I have sound/video clip of stock and then after with flowmaster 40's and res delete tips if you want it PM me.

JonW
01-25-2007, 08:45 PM
In my "QUEST" for the right sound (for me) the biggest volume change came with the high flow cats!! The "Old School" gurgle came with the custom "H" pipe.....Now the sound is PERFECT for me with no cabin drone!!:beer:

I would be glad to email someone a sound clip of my car to post here since I don't have a clue how to do that.:shake:

Everyone I spoke with discouraged the delete tips because of increased cabin noise (drone)!!

Marauderjack:burnout:

So, you're running stock mufflers, hi-flow cats, and a custom H-pipe?

Herco23
01-25-2007, 09:04 PM
Hey architect, The type of Mufflers are universal fit 14" oval type Borla Brand, I know about Flowmaster and Magnaflow, but I wanted to try something different and decided to go with Borla Mufflers. This type of mufflers tend to have a really deep tone and as you rpm decreases the noise decreases with it. I am running a complete 2 1/2 alluminized tubing with an X-pipe and deleted meg tips so this way I can obtain a real good sound for it.

MarauderMark
01-26-2007, 03:57 AM
We have a member here that has res and non res tips with flanges on them so he can change to either one anytime.Just a thought:D

Bradley G
01-26-2007, 05:00 AM
I would love to see a shot of that.
We have a member here that has res and non res tips with flanges on them so he can change to either one anytime.Just a thought:D