PDA

View Full Version : manifolds

torinodan
06-02-2005, 09:13 PM
About what year Cobra manifolds does Dennis Reinhart use for his Marauder exhaust kit? I understand that he does work on them to make them flow better. Found some that are basicly free and they were only take offs w/nothing wrong. Thanks. Dan

Rider90
06-02-2005, 09:17 PM
What does Dennis do to make the manifolds flow better?

Mard
06-02-2005, 09:31 PM
I believe he port matches with gaskets to make them flow better and has them Jet-Coated (thermal coated). I was under the impression they are the supercharged Cobra manifolds (03 and up).

the_pack_rat
06-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Been meaning to ask this myself ...

Wondering if doing his exhaust kit WITHOUT messing wth the gears .....

Is it worth it or NOT.

Do NOT want to lose any LOW end/OFF the line power.

Directedby
06-03-2005, 12:44 AM
I have the Cobra Exhaust Manifolds. They are great and did make a nice difference on my n/a marauder.

If you use the ones you can get, you will have a problem with using the factory exhaust. It will not bolt up and you need to get cobra flanges. These flanges onl come with an x-pipe kit which you can find on ebay for about $150 - plus install at a muffler shop.

Bradley G
06-03-2005, 02:05 AM
I have discussed this with members who installed the cobra manifolds, though they claim the sound is awsome, They showed no gains on the before and after dyno testing.

PM me for more info.
Bradley G

SergntMac
06-03-2005, 07:33 AM
I have discussed this with members who installed the cobra manifolds, though they claim the sound is awsome, They showed no gains on the before and after dyno testing. PM me for more info. Bradley GI'd like to hear more on this, Brad, care to share it with us?

torinodan
06-03-2005, 07:58 AM
Me too:confused: . I'm just trying to figure out whats good besides the exhaust I want and can't have. Yet. Yes, I have another plan or two in the works.
I'd like to hear more on this, Brad, care to share it with us?

RF Overlord
06-03-2005, 08:38 AM
If you use the ones you can get, you will have a problem with using the factory exhaust. It will not bolt up and you need to get cobra flanges.^^^ What Directedby said ^^^ some fabrication will be necessary if you replace only the manifolds, but it's nothing a good exhaust shop can't handle...

FWIW, I don't think replacing ONLY the manifolds will make enough performance difference to be worth it, but if you can get them for free, and get a good price on the flanges and fabrication... :dunno:

metroplex
06-03-2005, 08:46 AM
A friend installed headers on his Mark VIII. While it sounds like a race car, he had to go through a heck of a lot of trouble to get them to fit properly.

No thanks, I'll stick with the factory logs. The gains for my 4.6 2V going with headers is not worth the hassle or cost. YMMV w/ the 4V engines

Rider90
06-03-2005, 08:49 AM
A friend installed headers on his Mark VIII. While it sounds like a race car, he had to go through a heck of a lot of trouble to get them to fit properly.

No thanks, I'll stick with the factory logs. The gains for my 4.6 2V going with headers is not worth the hassle or cost. YMMV w/ the 4V engines

Same - Friend of mine had a Mark VIII and did headers - had to have the engine lifted off it's mounts a few inches.

torinodan
06-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Ok, just found out they are for a 97 32v cobra. I'm aware that the down pipe flanges would have to be changed and possibly the EGR tube. Anything else?

Directedby
06-03-2005, 09:12 AM
Ok, just found out they are for a 97 32v cobra. I'm aware that the down pipe flanges would have to be changed and possibly the EGR tube. Anything else?

Flanges were very difficult to find - actually impossible. No muffler shop could get tem wihour ordering the whole OEM exhaust or aftermarket x-pipe.

There is a place in California that can coat these manifolds for you - inside and out.

The EGR does need to be extended and FORD sells a kit.

The position of the Marauder Exhaust is also different where the front cats are. The tubes just don't line up. My muffler place had to remove the front cats and completely bend new pipes from manifold to rear cats.

I have been through this and it was a PITA and cost me more money than I wanted.

Next time I would just order the kit from Dennis and call it a day.

I disagree with Brad and from personal experience, know the Cobra manifolds have given me some HP gain. On a n/a marauder I would guess somewhere between 10-15 HP.

Rider90
06-03-2005, 09:19 AM
Don't you lose low end power and gain high end power?

torinodan
06-03-2005, 09:27 AM
I all ready have a fix for that and put the power I made back in the mid range. Ugly but it works for now! As far as the Flanges I guess it's a good thing this guy is selling his BBK catted X for $50.

Don't you lose low end power and gain high end power?

Directedby
06-03-2005, 09:36 AM
I all ready have a fix for that and put the power I made back in the mid range. Ugly but it works for now! As far as the Flanges I guess it's a good thing this guy is selling his BBK catted X for $50.

I hope this works out - not sure if these are the same manifolds I have. Use the factory metal gaskets and good news on the $50 x-pipe with flanges.

I would like to see your car at LACR tomorrow night. Can't you find a cheap hotel? Here are the hotels in the area.

Antelope Valley Inn - 661-948-4651
Park Plaza Lancaster - 661-948-0961
Holiday Inn 661-947-8055
John Jay Inn - 661-575-9322
Ramada Inn 661-273-1200
Marriott Courtyard 661-947-4100
The Inn of Lancaster 661-945-8771

torinodan
06-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Sister gave me her house for the weekend. Best hotel rates around. FREE! And it's closser than being down here. Are we all going to find a place to meet up or just look for each other all day? I don't know that area. :D

rayjay
06-03-2005, 09:53 AM
Don't you lose low end power and gain high end power?Having read virtually every post on Kooks/DR Cobra Exhaust in the 11 months since I joined the low end loss is with the Kooks on a NA Marauder. From what I've read here, the DR Cobra needs to be added as a complete kit to be effective.
Food for thought, it is illegal to change out the converters prior to 50,000 miles on the odo, unless they are somehow damaged. USA federally law.

Directedby
06-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Sister gave me her house for the weekend. Best hotel rates around. FREE! And it's closser than being down here. Are we all going to find a place to meet up or just look for each other all day? I don't know that area. :D

Cool. Go to LACR and you will see us there - easy to find. Not too sure how many are showing up.

I am getting there at 6PM. I am hoping to break into the 13's. Not too sure though. Last time I was runing 14.5's all day. Since I have done the Cobra exhaust, pullies, PHP intake spacer and PI convertor.

See you tomorrow night. FYI - Gates open at 5PM.

Black Terror
06-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Dan,

Talk to BadMk8(Scott) or Marauder Chick. They both have information on before/after on DR Cobra Manifold Changeover.