PDA

View Full Version : Broke my caliper piston seals

wesman
06-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Tonight while doing a pad change I broke the seal on the drivers side brake piston. Its sitting downstairs leaking brake fluid right now. Also the piston itself practically crumbled when I removed the old pad. Any ideas how much a caliper rebuild job is going to be from the dealer? I would jump at TCE Todd's kit but I have stockpiled rotors & pads for this racing season!

jgc61sr2002
06-06-2005, 07:43 PM
Tonight while doing a pad change I broke the seal on the drivers side brake piston. Its sitting downstairs leaking brake fluid right now. Also the piston itself practically crumbled when I removed the old pad. Any ideas how much a caliper rebuild job is going to be from the dealer? I would jump at TCE Todd's kit but I have stockpiled rotors & pads for this racing season!

It is not necessary to go to the dealer.
You can get rebuilt calipers from Pep boys or most any auto parts store. I don't know the exact price, but the ones I have purchased for other vehicles were inexpensive.

cyclone03
06-06-2005, 07:46 PM
I think you may need a few calipers as spares too.
You have a BROKEN PISTON?

Why pay the labor just go down a buy a new caliper from the dealer.

wesman
06-06-2005, 07:56 PM
I think you may need a few calipers as spares too.
You have a BROKEN PISTON?

Why pay the labor just go down a buy a new caliper from the dealer.Yes the piston is disintegrating on the drivers side, the passengers side isn't great. I have a trackday coming up, I want it fixed right.

Is driving it 3 miles to the dealer a bad idea?

TooManyFords
06-06-2005, 08:30 PM
YES. Park it and get a lift to a NAPA or whoever and get a replacement. Unless you are going BAER or aftermarket, a rebuilt over-the-counter is cheaper than the F/L/M dealership and every bit as good. It's the PADS you need to worry about.

Just don't drive it like it is. Please.

John

DEFYANT
06-06-2005, 08:42 PM
You can get rebuilt calipers from Pep boys or most any auto parts store. I don't know the exact price, but the ones I have purchased for other vehicles were inexpensive.
And get a lifetime warranty too

David Morton
06-07-2005, 12:23 AM
It is not necessary to go to the dealer.
You can get rebuilt calipers from Pep boys or most any auto parts store. I don't know the exact price, but the ones I have purchased for other vehicles were inexpensive.And probably get calipers with steel pistons instead of those phrenolic plastic pistons that are crumbling on you. With steel pistons you won't have this problem and most probably will avoid the locked-up caliper that sometimes happens with those plastic ones.

wesman
06-07-2005, 05:20 AM
Dropped it at the dealer this morning. Bumper to bumper traffic so I just used the ebrake.

Told them to check out the hood latch sticking problem and the TSB on the wipers. They said "what TSB on the wipers?"

wesman
06-07-2005, 06:04 AM
Just heard from the dealer, I need two new front calipers, $303 CDN each! Ouch. They said they called around to find rebuilt ones, and no luck.

TooManyFords
06-07-2005, 06:18 AM
Advance Auto has them for $49.99 (lifetime warranty) down here...

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?PartType=5003&PTSet=A&SearchFor=Caliper

Just FYI...

John

wesman
06-07-2005, 07:02 AM
This is ridiculously expensive for a set of brakes that worked yesterday. :(
Calipers $303 x 2
Labour $200
Wipers $50
plus tax $984.40 Canadian.

That is a kick in the Gonads.
I declined their offer to machine the front rotors for $150 !!!!

They are saying there is no rebuild kit, there is no steel/ceramic piston option, you get what you get, same as factory, that's it. Warranty for the new calipers is 20,000km or one year.
This is the last time I attempt some shade tree mechanic stuff right before a big trip.

wesman
06-07-2005, 07:30 AM
I just talked to the service manager. He said, 'did you use a screwdriver to get the pads off?' I said yes. He said that's why the pistons broke. They use some tool to get them off.

TooManyFords
06-07-2005, 07:40 AM
I just talked to the service manager. He said, 'did you use a screwdriver to get the pads off?' I said yes. He said that's why the pistons broke. They use some tool to get them off.
That "tool" he spoke of? Probably a 6" C-Clamp. What probably should have been done is compress the piston back into the bore before removing the pads. Then the piston would be safely tucked back into the caliper out of harms way.

I know this is like closing the barn door after the horses have gotten out, but maybe this will help others out there.

I would seriously shop around up there, online if necessary, and get a better deal. Take that web picture into the service manager and ask why there is such a big price difference...

Just trying to help...

John

wesman
06-07-2005, 08:33 AM
I have no idea how they would get a clamp onto the pads while the caliper is still installed, but it would have helped me save $800 last night!

TooManyFords
06-07-2005, 09:17 AM
Um, you're supposed to unbolt the caliper and remove it with the pads still in it.

How did you get the pads out without lifting the caliper off?

I guess that's the $800 question!

(sorry, no ill will meant...)

John

:o

merc
06-07-2005, 12:22 PM
I have two front Marauder calipers and rotors. Send me a P.M.

BK_GrandMarquis
06-07-2005, 02:08 PM
Calipers $303 x 2
Labour $200
Wipers $50

They are saying there is no rebuild kit, there is no steel/ceramic piston option, you get what you get, same as factory, that's it. Warranty for the new calipers is 20,000km or one year.
This is the last time I attempt some shade tree mechanic stuff right before a big trip.
:censor: For that much, you could get a TCE setup. Well, almost.

David Morton
06-09-2005, 09:20 AM
When replacing pads, I have routinely compressed the piston(s) back into the calipers using a screwdriver or pry bar. Just insert it between the outer pad and rotor before taking anything off and pry away. Squeezing the pistons in this way keeps the pistons in proper alignment because the sliding pins or blocks hold the caliper in position relative to the pads.

wesman
06-14-2005, 11:14 AM
This is getting worse, the dealer told me today that the calipers are on backorder from the supplier.

jaywish
06-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Hi All,

I certainly could be wrong (and hope I am).

Aren't these the same on all Grand Marquis/Crown Victorias?

I'm fairly sure about this.

Jay

BK_GrandMarquis
06-14-2005, 07:00 PM
Hi All,

I certainly could be wrong (and hope I am).

Aren't these the same on all Grand Marquis/Crown Victorias?

I'm fairly sure about this.

Jay

Not with the older models. The bracket and or other parts might be different I believe. I never saw a Marauder's front end up close but I think because of the revised front suspension, the calipers mount differently. So the caliper also has differently spaced mounts on them. Besides, if he does get the ones with the steel pistons, the spare pads that he has for the phelonic pistons won't fit.

I think I might have even just confused myself. :confused: But I am pretty sure about the brake pads. :D

If the part is the same as another Panther of the same year, shouldn't they have the same part number?

darkvader1
06-14-2005, 07:48 PM
:cool4: Wow that really sucks dude!! I am currently about to feel your pain!!!!
Calipers $303 x 2
Labour $200
Wipers $50

darkvader1
06-14-2005, 07:53 PM
Hey I'am currently in the market for a set of those wilwood brake kits how well do the perform and are they a better brand than bear? What would they cost me.:cool4:
I have two front Marauder calipers and rotors. Send me a P.M.

wesman
06-14-2005, 08:58 PM
check out Todd's site

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/cgi-bin/brakes/cginews.pl?record=11

merc
06-15-2005, 06:57 AM
Hey I'am currently in the market for a set of those wilwood brake kits how well do the perform and are they a better brand than bear? What would they cost me.:cool4:

I have enjoyed them since day one. Todd was extremely helpful in answering my hundreds of questions and emails. His understanding of his product and brake technology is simply the best. The TCE kit performs as advertised, and with slotted rotors I fell no difference in wet or dry conditions. Big brake kits are also fun in a N/A or S/C modified Marauder. You just have so much better stopping control and feeling of safety. Most people place this modification on the lower end of their list, but careful consideration should be used in examining you total plan. The Wildwood calipers are stunning in person; pictures don’t give it much justice. I ordered the Power Slot rear rotors to finish out the complete kit look. Just remember the O.E.M. calipers are used in the TCE, Baer ,and KVM kits. Just call Todd, he will give you the 411.

Cheers
:beer:

yamahaSHO
06-24-2005, 12:32 AM
check out Todd's site

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/cgi-bin/brakes/cginews.pl?record=11
Agreed, if you're going to spend that kind of money on stock cast iron, single piston calipers, you might as well pay the extra money and get something that will not only perform better, but will not break like the ones you have (no pun intended :)).

I've got a set of Todd's brakes on my daily driver, I could not be happier!
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/225000-225999/225912_451_full.jpg

wesman
06-24-2005, 08:22 AM
I got my car back with Hawk HPS pads up front and frozenrotors, it stops way better than the KVRs. Its nice to have it back!

yamahaSHO
06-24-2005, 03:10 PM
Hawk HPS pads are great street pads and can take some moderate 'canyon driving'. Before upgrading to one of Todd's kits, I used HPS pads on my daily driver. I'm using HP-Plus on my fast car. It's basically a track pad.

David Morton
06-26-2005, 09:29 PM
I got my car back with Hawk HPS pads up front and frozenrotors, it stops way better than the KVRs. Its nice to have it back!Did you have the 14" KVR front rotors before?

I own a set of KVR 14" front rotors and pads and the matching rear rotors as well as SS braided hoses and the stopping power has been nothing short of awesome. I can't imagine anybody not being satisfied with a setup like this and going for something "way better" like you described because the KVR brakes on my car have honestly reached the limit of what the stock tires are capable of delivering. Under maximum pedal effort the car threatens to stand on it's nose and the ABS motors are working full-time turning off the front brakes (as well as the rears) because they're trying to lock up. More braking power would be wasted (with these stock tires at least) because still exceeding the limit of traction but with more power won't affect the stopping distance one bit, the ABS computer is still gonna be turning them off just as much. Perhaps you have much stickier tires and can use that extra power.

I'm not trying to say the TCE brakes aren't better performance-wise, please just answer the simple question.

Did you have the 14" KVRs before or not?

David Morton
06-29-2005, 09:47 PM
Been 3 days wesman. Are you still there? Please answer the question. Perhaps I can clarify.

Did you have the 14" KVR rotors on your car and then take them off to put the TCE's on and that's how you know they're "way better"?

wesman
06-30-2005, 05:36 AM
Sorry David for the delay. I just had the KVR pads on stock rotors. Now I have Hawk HPS pads on frozenrotors.com stock sized rotors. I have no doubt your setup would stop better than mine.