PDA

View Full Version : V10 Marauder

maraudernkc
06-08-2005, 10:21 AM
what do you think about a V10 Marauder. I am thinking about dropping a V10 Supercharged motor in the Marauder. See photo below.

http://karkraft.com/V10.jpg

HwyCruiser
06-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Do it! Do it! Dibs on your built Cobra shortblock. :D

RoyLPita
06-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Use the newer 3-valve block.

SergntMac
06-08-2005, 11:00 AM
Quite tempting, isn't it. Two years ago, there was a CV/PI/V-10 project out there on the 'web, and as I recall it, it went slow but well. Last I heard, the owner was trying to market an upgrade kit, but I don't think it took off. Keep us posted, Greg, this should be exciting.

maraudernkc
06-08-2005, 11:02 AM
SergntMac, It is ver tempting. I am researching it now to find out all the information. Can you imagine the torque. Wowser!

Quite tempting, isn't it. Two years ago, there was a CV/PI/V-10 project out there on the 'web, and as I recall it, it went slow but well. Last I heard, the owner was trying to market an upgrade kit, but I don't think it took off. Keep us posted, Greg, this should be exciting.

Shaft333
06-08-2005, 11:05 AM
It won't sounds as good, but that'd be about the only drawback I can think of. Cost? Well, it's your money and time not mine, go for it!!!!

martyo
06-08-2005, 11:10 AM
What's the displacement on one of these puppies?

Also, what is the size of the block and deck height?

TooManyFords
06-08-2005, 11:17 AM
Here we go!

MainEngDwarf
06-08-2005, 11:31 AM
Go for it. If you can then why not. :D

maraudernkc
06-08-2005, 11:57 AM
Martyo, same deck height as the 5.4L.Same motor but it has two more cylinders. The motor mounts line up. I would have to get another hood becaus eof the deck height. I honestly don't know the dispalcement. Does someone know?

I am talking to a guy here in Kansas city that had one in his Grand Marquis and he was running 1.5 60 foot times with slicks. That was stock and N/A. He said the 1/8 mile was bad ass than it ran out of steam. He siad the car would pull the front wheels. Sounds like it needs a blower for the second 1/8.

Lot's of research before I jump into it.

prchrman
06-08-2005, 12:00 PM

410 ci........

maraudernkc
06-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Roy, I know they have a 100 more ponies.

Use the newer 3-valve block.

Bradley G
06-08-2005, 12:03 PM
6.8 liter
Of muscle and goobs of torque.
There was a v-10 GMQ , @ World Ford Challenge, With Slicks, a 75 shot of juice and some trans work?
It was a sling shot, turning 12.5"s all day in 90* and swealtering humidity.
It is the same guy that posted his time slip, on our time slips page, He submitted his slip in crayon J/K
Bradley G
PS It was his wife who races it, she's a real cool Gal ! I gave her a MM card along with dozens of others!

martyo
06-08-2005, 01:30 PM
Martyo, same deck height as the 5.4L.Same motor but it has two more cylinders. The motor mounts line up. I would have to get another hood becaus eof the deck height. I honestly don't know the dispalcement. Does someone know?

I am talking to a guy here in Kansas city that had one in his Grand Marquis and he was running 1.5 60 foot times with slicks. That was stock and N/A. He said the 1/8 mile was bad ass than it ran out of steam. He siad the car would pull the front wheels. Sounds like it needs a blower for the second 1/8.

Lot's of research before I jump into it.

It will be cool! Do it. I will be watching carefully. And, I will be very jealous!!

HwyCruiser
06-08-2005, 02:28 PM

Greg, ask to Pete to see the picture he has of the V10 GMarq launching at the track. Nice wrinkles and that puppy looked like it was getting ready to rear up on its hauches to beg for a treat.

I still see it every now and then on the street and tippy-toe around it. :o

RoyLPita
06-08-2005, 04:04 PM
6.8 liters = 414.8 cubic inches. Even the smaller displacement V10 that Ford put in a silver Mustang that ate up clutches, rear tires, 6 speed trannys & 9" rear ends would be nice too.

ncmm
06-08-2005, 04:06 PM
Yowser! better stock up on some tires if you go with the larger engine! :)

Mad4Macs
06-08-2005, 04:25 PM
what do you think about a V10 Marauder. I am thinking about dropping a V10 Supercharged motor in the Marauder. See photo below.

http://karkraft.com/V10.jpg

I think that it's a terrible idea! It's so bad, as a matter of fact, that I'll let you install one in my car at no cost to you, whatsoever, just to show you how bad of an idea that this really is.

:D

maraudernkc
06-08-2005, 05:20 PM
Does anyone know where I can find some specs on the 2000/2001 Ford V10?

Compression, HP and TQ etc.

My seach engines must need a blower. :lol:

RoyLPita
06-08-2005, 05:31 PM
Does anyone know where I can find some specs on the 2000/2001 Ford V10?

Compression, HP and TQ etc.

My seach engines must need a blower. :lol:

early versions were rated at 275HP/410TQ
later 2V version is rated at 310HP/425TQ At least this motor uses the "twin 57" TB.

Joe Walsh
06-08-2005, 08:06 PM
If you manage to fit that V10 under the hood you MUST put 'V10' badges on the fenders!!!! :banana2: :banana2: :bows: :bows: :D

bigslim
06-08-2005, 09:24 PM
I think you would do better with a stroked 4.6 and the blower. The V10 will add weight to the front end. It won't handle the same. I don't think the gain in power would be enough to warrant the trouble.

snowbird
06-09-2005, 03:26 AM

We have to anticipate the arrival of those SRT8s and welcome them properly !. Go for it !! :D

But be ready to plan carefully for accessory s, computer wiring harness and some of those satellites parts that will need to be adapted or modified.

Marauder386
06-09-2005, 04:51 AM
WoW ! All I am thinking is " RiceBoy will die...Viperman will get owned...SRT snot will be squashed"...I say GO FOR IT ! I have no idea what your final results will be just GO FOR IT ! :banana2: :banana: :banana2:

:coolman:

Shaft333
06-09-2005, 05:38 AM
If you manage to fit that V10 under the hood you MUST put 'V10' badges on the fenders!!!! :banana2: :banana2: :bows: :bows: :D
Good for at least 6 or 7 hp right there. If it were a motorcycle they'd have to be billet. For a car though... vinyl is all the craze. :rolleyes:

maraudernkc
06-09-2005, 06:35 AM
Snowbird, the wiring is the worst part. You take a wiring harnes and computer from a 2001 superduty automatic and then blend them together. We have a service manager of a Mercury dealer here in Kansas City that has put a V10 in a Grand Marquis and a Mustang. The first time he did the wiring he spent 40 Hours on it. Now that he has done it twice the time has dropped. He said he would charge me $500.00 for the wiring. I would not put my partner through that nightmare. Have you seen how big those wiring harneses are? Iguess the transmission would be a stand alone trabsmission. WHat the heck does that mean? Still researching.

We have to anticipate the arrival of those SRT8s and welcome them properly !. Go for it !! :D

But be ready to plan carefully for accessory s, computer wiring harness and some of those satellites parts that will need to be adapted or modified.

89lxbill
06-09-2005, 05:01 PM
Go to Baumann (SP?) engineering on the web and they can handle your tranny needs. Their computer will control your transmission. You would have 2 pcms. The Baumanator for the trans and the factory V10 for the engine.

Todd
06-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Go to Baumann (SP?) engineering on the web and they can handle your tranny needs. Their computer will control your transmission. You would have 2 pcms. The Baumanator for the trans and the factory V10 for the engine.

:stupid: Yea, what he said.

A lot of foreign cars have 2 pcms from the factory. My Passat which I sold a couple cars ago had 1 pcm for the engine and one for the tranny.

I chipped the engine pcm to run 15psi from the turbo but never got the tranny chipped.

Donny Carlson
06-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Have you contacted Scott Alder Motorsports? I bet they would be a big help.
http://www.samotorsports.com/images/engine_img.jpghttp://www.samotorsports.com/images/car_img.jpg

http://www.samotorsports.com/vehicles.html

also check out this article:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=26&article_id=2279

sfsv
06-09-2005, 08:01 PM
Propane V-10 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
And you thought propane was just for barbecues.
BY BARRY WINFIELD
BY JEFFREY G. RUSSELL
July 2002
1 2 (http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=26&article_id=2279&page_number=2) http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/image/020503145416.jpg

Apart from its role in grills, camping lamps, and hot-air balloons, propane is one of various alternative fuels being used in vehicles to reduce exhaust emissions. The Ford Motor Company, no less, already offers a propane/gasoline flexible-fuel F-series light-duty pickup truck. Still, propane hasn't been in the headlines nearly as much as, say, compressed natural gas, or even hydrogen. http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/image/020503145417.jpg

That's mainly because propane companies haven't been that aggressive in promoting their product as an alternative fuel. Scott Alder, of Scott Alder Motorsports in Redondo Beach, California, thinks that's about to change. For one thing, propane is not an imported fuel. We make our own. For another, it works well. To demonstrate the advantages of a propane-fueled vehicle, Alder brought along a V-10- powered Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor and let us test it. Why a police car? Well, primarily because agencies monitoring air quality in various locations nationwide are pressing for cleaner vehicles serving airports, and some offer quite enticing inducements for those operators purchasing clean-air vehicles. Since many taxicabs are rehabilitated cop cars, Alder figured it was smart to start at the top of the chain.

For kicks, he pulled the original 4.6-liter V-8 out of this 1999 Interceptor and dropped in a 6.8-liter V-10 and transmission originally intended for a Ford F-series pickup. F-series trucks use both V-8 and V-10 engines, so the engine mounts were pretty much where they needed to be in the Interceptor. The big truck transmission didn't fit quite that easily. It was necessary to cut and reshape the Interceptor's cowl, as well as relocate and fabricate new transmission mounts. The car's original aluminum driveshaft had to be shortened to fit, but it turns out that's a good thing, since some originals have had high-speed vibration problems that shortening may cure.

To convert the engine to propane, Alder's guys deep-sixed the original fuel tank and evaporation canister and replaced them with a propane tank supplied by Thiokol Propulsion (it holds the gas equivalent of 21 gallons at a comparatively low pressure of about 300 psi). A Corvette fuel pump resides in the tank to pressurize the supply line. The installation leaves trunk capacity and rear-seat space completely unaffected. http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/image/020503145418.jpg

New fuel lines were fitted, along with a new fuel rail and injectors from Bi-Phase Technologies of Lake Lillian, Minnesota. As propane actually has a higher calorific value than gasoline, its stoichiometric ratio—the ideal air-fuel mixture—is 15.7:1 versus gasoline's at 14.7:1. The smaller injectors obviate the need for any change to the car's stock powertrain controller. And with an octane value of 104, propane is ideal for high-compression engines. Because the car's fuel-injection system operates with liquid propane, the car requires a so-called distribution block to recirculate the propane to purge vapor. In most vehicles, the dome-light switch could activate this as the driver opens the door, readying the car for an immediate start.

Since Alder's car is a police vehicle, it lacks this dome-light switch, so you need to wait briefly after the ignition is switched on before twisting the key to start the engine. Thereupon, the propane-fueled Ford runs as one might expect a V-10-powered Interceptor to run—that is, strongly, reaching 60 mph from rest in just 6.6 seconds and dispatching the quarter-mile in 15.2 seconds at 92 mph. The numbers on our last 4.6-liter police Vic: 8.4 to 60 and 16.5 at 84 mph in the quarter. Alder's Interceptor wafts from 30 to 50 mph in just three seconds, including kickdown delay, and the torque from the truck motor hefts this big car around with a deceptively lazy demeanor. With an eye to the enthusiast market, Alder also equipped the car with aftermarket springs, monotube Bilstein shocks, custom brake rotors with carbon-metallic pads, and 10.0-by-17-inch alloy wheels with BFGoodrich g-Force T/A rubber.

BillyGman
06-09-2005, 11:56 PM
[QUOTE=Shaft333]It won't sounds as good, but that'd be about the only drawback I can think of.QUOTE]That's my thoughts on this too. V10 engines are a good design as far as power delivery. No doubt about that. But if you never heard one of them reving up with a hi-perf exhaust system attached, then you might want to go listen to one if that sort of thing matters to ya. That won't matter to some people though. As for me, I just LUV the sound of a V8 engine. there's nothing like it. :banana2:

RoyLPita
06-10-2005, 04:34 AM
How about running a 6 speed maunual with this engine? No PCM would be neccessary.

Bradley G
06-21-2005, 10:45 AM
V-10 Panther W/ @ x-:run: tra pedal? :eek:

Bradley G

MENINBLK
06-21-2005, 05:30 PM
Isn't the V10 a TRITON engine ???

Bradley G
06-27-2005, 12:44 PM
Yes it is!

Bradley G

Isn't the V10 a TRITON engine ???

Breadfan
06-29-2005, 12:41 PM
My dad bought a V10 F250, a 2001 I think. I used it when I moved, plus I use it to help him haul stuff. I'll tell you what, even loaded down that truck will move out pretty well with that engine. It'll work well in a GMQ or MM, though I'd much rather see a GM get hacked up for this than a Marauder...then again...it would be cool either way.

Why not just use an F250 trans as well? Diffierent gearing? Might need a custom crossmember and driveshaft...would that make wring easier?

Actually, for $500 to have the wiring done for you, this would make me up for doing something like this. Really the harness wiring is what would stop me. $500 is a steal to have the burden off your shoulders.

Good luck!! :) :D