PDA

View Full Version : Optimism Springs Eternal

Macon Marauder
03-04-2003, 02:45 PM
Check this deal on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2406139819&category=6882

The dealer is taking bids for AMOUNT OVER STICKER on a blue Marauder. Ay caramba!

looking97233
03-04-2003, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I was just in my dealer in Portland, Or. today. They have a blue one. They want $3000.00 over sticker for it. When I told them you can get one for 28K or less. The salesman just shrugged.

Macon Marauder
03-04-2003, 02:53 PM
LOL

jefferson-mo
03-04-2003, 02:55 PM
Miliwaukee Auto Show????

Scratch City Baby:rasta:

jgc61sr2002
03-04-2003, 03:05 PM
The dealers tried the same thing when the MM first were displayed on the showroom floor. My local dealer still has 5 MM's 300A models and one has an additional sticker asking $1,500 over sticker. The blue one may be just an attraction to bring customers into the showroom. If he doesn't sell the blue on he will probably offer a black MM, GM or another product for a lesser price and hopefully make a sale. Just my opinion. John :)

LincMercLover
03-04-2003, 03:11 PM
What a retard... Like anyone would actually do that?

Hmm... interesting... Take a CLOSE look at the interior pics. How'd he pull that off?

dok
03-04-2003, 03:17 PM
I just sent him an email telling him he was nuts. If he sells it, it will be to someone that has not done their homework.

dok
03-04-2003, 03:36 PM
In my email I told him that there was nothing special about blue. Anyone could get one at significantly below MSRP. I just received a reply to my email. He said that this car was rare because they only make Marauders in black and that this car was made especially for the auto show.

Once again dealers don't know anything about their product. :bigcry:

UncleLar
03-04-2003, 03:50 PM
Ya,right,that one and another thousand or two just like it. Like my neighbor the used car salesman told me,there's an a$$ for every seat.

dok
03-04-2003, 03:51 PM
Heres another reply I got from the dealer:

Don,
I only go off the information that I have been presented by my Lincoln Mercury Rep.

Where are you located that they have more than on Blue Marauder? (According to my General Manager it's not even possible to order them in our system... so I'd like to know how they got theirs.)

-JoE Drosen
Boucher-Automotive

grzellmer
03-04-2003, 04:13 PM
I saw this car at the Milwaukee Auto Show.

Correctimundo on the scratch city.

My apologies to all. Not all Milwaukeans are as stupid as this dealership.

I did visit them during my search. They tried to do a bait and switch
on the aftermarket moonroof. IE: We're dealing on the car, come close
to the end of the process, then "Oh, big mistake - we forgot to include the $1800 moonroof! We'll have to add that to the price!"

Guess What - Up and walked - Asta La Bye Bye.

Avoid this dealer.

Anybody notice the auction has a bid. By a newbie - Bet they think they're getting the car for $100!! Oooppsss!

Gary

bugsys03
03-04-2003, 04:56 PM
john--they tried to sell me a black GM LX when i wouldnt pay over sticker for the MM when they first came out. they said it was basically the same car. i laughed at them and told them that was an old mans car. i waited 6 months and paid 6500 under sticker. you gotta watch those salesman and have patience sometimes

jgc61sr2002
03-04-2003, 05:00 PM
bugsys03 - Good things come to those who wait. Sounds like you got a very good deal. John

dok
03-04-2003, 05:23 PM
I told him to look in the order guide dated 2/01/03. He still doesn't believe me. Here is his reply:

Don,
From what my experience (for what it's worth) just because something is in the book, doesn't mean that you can actually order it (as I believe a sunroof and other options were in the original order book... but was never produced factory.)

I told him to go to the Mercury website and "build a vehicle". They show blue and silver as color choices there. We'll see.

Can't believe he has 2 bids.

FordNut
03-04-2003, 05:41 PM
I just talked to the dealer in Delray Beach, FL where I got my black MM in December for 27,500 + tags, tax, title (dealer retains rebates). He said if I want a blue or silver one it will take about 4-6 weeks to get one, price would be the same as before. Now if I can unload the wife's LS we can move up to twins (not identical, but close enough)!

Vince Gortner
03-04-2003, 05:53 PM
Now it's $1k over sticker...

Maybe if I put some duct tape stripes on my car I could put it on eBay as a rare GranTurismo Adhesiv Strippo option package and pull in some big bucks.

I bought a nice Arizona '70 Camaro on eBay last year. There are some nice deals to be had, and it's not a bad way to sell, but there's always stuff like this that makes you wonder.

LincMercLover
03-04-2003, 06:04 PM
Nobody has even looked at the interior shots of it yet... It's BLACK!

RCSignals
03-04-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by looking97233
Yeah, I was just in my dealer in Portland, Or. today. They have a blue one. They want $3000.00 over sticker for it. When I told them you can get one for 28K or less. The salesman just shrugged.

Is that the car that was in the Portland Auto show? It got a pretty good "work out" there.

martyo
03-04-2003, 10:30 PM
Hellooooooo, anybody out there??? This thing is now $4,050.00 over sticker!! Yikes someone is not reading the not so fine print which says:

IMPORTANT: THIS AUCTION IS FOR THE AMOUNT OVER STICKER PRICE. TO FIGURE FINAL TOTAL AMOUNT, ADD TOP BID AMOUNT + MSRP OF $34,845.(This is in addition to Tax, Title, License, Delivery Costs.)

When the last bidder "wins" and this is knocked down to them, how much do you want to bet that they say, uh oh, I didn't see that large print disclaimer!!

Is there a lawyer in the house? The "winning" bidder sure is going to need one!

jefferson-mo
03-04-2003, 10:49 PM
Hey Fordnut..........that Black one and the Silver one sure would look cool sittin' side by side:burnout:

Directedby
03-04-2003, 11:01 PM
This is unreal. Bet the dealer will keep the rebate also.

It also breaks the rules of ebay because the seller cheats them out of the commission on the total price.

Someone should email the buyers and ebay.

Vince Gortner
03-05-2003, 04:55 AM
I thought car auctions on eBay Motors were a flat rate, regardless of final sale price.

Mikeenh
03-05-2003, 11:51 AM
If you have a Blue Marauder you just might have a goldmine. ebay has one that is new and the bidding is for OVER retail. The current price is $6,600 over the suggested $34,845.
Like P.T. Barnum said.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2406139819&category=6882

O's Fan Rich
03-05-2003, 12:39 PM
I sure hope anyone bidding has taken the time to read the whole deal! Imagine bidding 25k, thinking that you have "won" and finding out you owe 60 grand because you didn't read the fine print! Bummer!!!:po:

CRUZTAKER
03-05-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by FordNut
...if I can unload the wife's LS we can move up to twins...

Get some Coors and we got a comercial.........! :coolman:

dok
03-05-2003, 03:38 PM
Auction is up to $15,000 over sticker. :eek:

CRUZTAKER
03-05-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Rich_Long
I sure hope anyone bidding has taken the time to read the whole deal!

Oh my god............'s head

:lol:

SergntMac
03-05-2003, 04:43 PM
Over 15K now, and that's on top of MSRP?

Oh come on now, y'all just have to know this is gonna bust out. Idiot dealer may be patting his new son-in-law on the back today, but wait until they try and collect. That "auto show" special will be available on the floor, with all it's factory rebates and special financing intact, and sonny-in-law will be back driving the Car Care parts truck, ya think?

Hey...what are we gonna tell "Durwood" when he signs up here?

martyo
03-05-2003, 05:08 PM
I won't have to tell Durwood anything. He'll want my business card so I can get him out of this mess!!! Me and mensrea have formed a new law firm specializing in Marauder related lawsuits!!

Billatpro
03-05-2003, 05:14 PM
I have just emailed both the last high bidder and the dealer, told the bidder how he would get ripped off on this so called "SPECIAL" told dealer if sticks it to some poor guy , he needs jail time.

Diocles
03-05-2003, 05:58 PM
I just e-mailed the dealer the following:

Cir***venting Fees
Users may not avoid eBay fees

Users may not use systems or techniques to cir***vent eBay fees.

Example:
Listing an item that requires or offers an additional purchase. Example: travel certificates that require the holder to buy or pay for something (i.e. 7 nights hotel room) as a condition of receiving the benefit of the coupon (i.e. free or discounted airfare)

Listings that cir***vent eBay fees are not permitted and will be ended. The Insertion Fee will be automatically credited for that listing. Disciplinary action may result in the indefinite suspension of a user's account, temporary suspension, or a formal warning. eBay will consider the cir***stances of an alleged offense and the user's trading records before taking action.

And his responce:
This auction does not cir***vent fees, as eBay's closing fees for cars are a flat $40 (same if it closes for $1 or $100,000)
-JoE
Boucher-Automotive

(probably right, but this kind of misleading advertising really pisses me off)

CRUZTAKER
03-05-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Billatpro
I have just emailed both dealer,and the last high bidder .......

I am glad you did, I could'nt get through ebay's red tape
(not a member).

I so much wanted to call their showroom and read them the riot act.

Originally posted by martyo
I won't have to tell Durwood anything. He'll want my business card so I can get him out of this mess!!!
martyo:
I think it's the DEALER thats gonna need the lawer to get them out of this one......
;)

OH boy did they open up a can of bees on this site. Can you imagine how many emails and calls they are going to get over this....? WOW
:po: :po: :po: :po:

BigMerc
03-06-2003, 08:44 AM
Hey don't you think your anti cursing program is still a little tight when you cant say cir***stance,cir***vent, etc? F**** I understand, just not the first two

CRUZTAKER
03-06-2003, 02:53 PM
I called the moron dealership today and shed some light on their fiasco.

They changed their tune REAL quick. Apparently they have recieved a ***** load of complaints from MM owners.

One of a kind.............:confused:

I sat in a blue one YESTERDAY!!!!!!!

Flippin morons. Look for them to retract this post soon!

RF Overlord
03-06-2003, 03:05 PM
Thanks CRUZ, and everyone else who called or e-mailed them...

The last thing we need is nitwits like that screwing up sales even more...

SergntMac
03-06-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by CRUZTAKER
I called the moron dealership today and shed some light on their fiasco. They changed their tune REAL quick. Apparently they have recieved a ***** load of complaints from MM owners. One of a kind...:confused: I sat in a blue one YESTERDAY! Flippin morons. Look for them to retract this post soon!

This is a mind ******, seems to me that this issue is problematic for both sides. While the dealer takes the winning bidder to court, to hold him to his promise all the time pointing to and defending their "clear" terms of sale as stated, the "winner" challenges the "rare" declarations of the dealer. Ya think?

I mean, who in their right mind, would pay 15K OVER sticker for a "rare" marauder? OTOH, who in their right mind, would believe they could buy a new "rare" Marauder for 15K? Who's zooming who?

I'm taking bets. I think the bid will go to 26-27k, and in the end, the dealer gives it up for fair market, rebates and all.

Anyone?

jgc61sr2002
03-06-2003, 06:22 PM
I can't believe the person who bid $15,000 over sticker saw the fine print, stating that the bid"is over sticker price". To date not to many MM's on Ebay have reached their reserve price. John

RCSignals
03-06-2003, 08:54 PM
You are probably correct Mac. New cars on eBay seldom seem to bid to a realistic value, not meeting a reserve (obviously in this particular auction there is no "reserve")
When a new car is on eBay it attracts a lot of people who think they are going to "steal" it, and a lot of what i call "Sport bidders"
Sport bidders are those who love to bid on reserve auctions, hoping to never reach the reserve. They also love to bid up other bidders proxy, also hoping never to top it.

Macon Marauder
03-10-2003, 06:09 AM
I emailed the high bidder last Thursday. He says:
He's not bidding over sticker.
He didn't see the notice.
And this tactic is against ebay policy.
He's contacted ebay and expects them to "correct the situation shortly."

We'll see...

Bigdogjim
03-10-2003, 06:56 AM
Hey can I repaint my MM and sell it on E-bay? At this point all one can do is laugh. The way sales are going they all be rare?
Big Dog

prchrman
03-10-2003, 07:02 AM
Bad economy, bad weather, bad advertising, bad sales...but a great car! We just may be the 1/2%ers...not the 2%ers...so what-big deal anyway..

SergntMac
03-11-2003, 05:38 AM
Several days have passed with no change in bid, and no change in high bidder. Wondering if all our e-mails and stuff has any effect on this, maybe all concerned decided to let the auction die?

Interesting...

RCSignals
03-11-2003, 04:08 PM
Actually there has been a couple changes in high bid, but so far whenever that has happened, the new high bidder retracts his bid.

I'm not sure why the $15,000 bidder is holding out if he says he knows about it and is waiting on eBay. Maybe he thinks when it shakes out he will get it for $15,000

jgc61sr2002
03-11-2003, 06:31 PM
Just checked Ebay someone bid $ 15,100 over sticker. It's hard to believe. John

CRUZTAKER
03-11-2003, 06:49 PM
I lost this thread for a couple days..........What happened to DERWOOD????? Damn, he backed out, he told me he was "on a mission from god" had half a pack of cigarettes..a six pack of beer............:coolman:

Oh, that was a mopar, anyway, I think Derwood could have harrassed e-bay better, he was the first to jump on the band wagon.

And that dumb s#*t dealer did'nt change their post like they said they would. That's ok, two days.....11 hours....we'll see....oh yeah

RCSignals
03-13-2003, 10:45 PM
At one point today it was bid to $15,100.00 :eek:

but durwood is now high bidder at $7,300.00

Mikeenh
03-14-2003, 12:54 PM
The bidding is over.......legal time now.
The ebay blue Marauder went for $9,100 OVER sticker.:stupid:
For those that want to see this in living color....ebay Marauder (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6882&item=2406139819)

Macon Marauder
03-14-2003, 12:58 PM
Hmmm. All those bid retractions...

Durwood told me he was not bidding over sticker. Also implied the dealer would be in trouble with eBay if the auction proceeded. We'll probably never know now...

RCSignals
03-14-2003, 05:08 PM
Watch the feedback for both