PDA

View Full Version : Full Size Wheel & Tire Fit in Spare Location?

HWYSTR
06-15-2005, 05:25 AM
I'd like to use a full size tire and the regular rim in the spare location, and wonder if it fits. Anyone? I figure it would, though haven't tried. I mean, if you get a flat, and your trunk is full, where would you put it? And what's everyone's take on 5x tire rotation schemes?

Black Terror
06-15-2005, 05:29 AM
It fits fine in 300A, they all came with full size spare.

RoyLPita
06-15-2005, 05:34 AM
Welcome aboard. Full size MM wheels will fit in that same area as the temporary. From what I was told by a few members who have upgraded, the mounting parts are "in the bag". In fact, a Rear size MM tire will fit back there, too. BTW, 2003 300A MMs all have full size (front sized) spare tires. As for the full trunk scenario, you would have to empty the area where the spare is to access it. Due to the fact that MMs have 2 different sized tires (245/55-18 rear, 235/50-18 front) plus the spare wheel on the earlier MM is a polished aluminum style, a 5 tire rotation is not possible.

HWYSTR
06-15-2005, 05:44 AM
Oh yeah, duh! That's right, they are dif size ft/rr. Uh, what about the offsets or rim widths? Ft/rr the same? 04 is in question...

RoyLPita
06-15-2005, 05:46 AM
The rims have a 30mm offset. They are all the same size (18x8).

HWYSTR
06-15-2005, 05:58 AM
Cool, thank you for the info. One more thing, will the 245's fit up front? (See where I'm going with that?)....

SergntMac
06-15-2005, 06:11 AM
F.Y.I.

All Marauder wheels of any year are 18x8, 50mm offset. The 9.5" wide wheels spoke about here are custom made by a company, available through Lidio. The full size spare that came with the 300A edition was not a polished wheel, it's a flat matted finish. The front tire/wheel assembly (235 wide) fit on the package shelf, but my rear tire/wheel (245 wide) assembly would not fit on my package shelf. Your experience may vary.

HWYSTR
06-15-2005, 06:11 AM
Never mind, saw the other posts regarding TC & ABS....

RoyLPita
06-15-2005, 06:14 AM
Just for kicks, look at the Tire Rack ad. There is only one 245/55-18 available but, there's over 20 to choose from in 235/50-18.

SergntMac
06-15-2005, 06:18 AM
I have run four tires all the same size on my 300A. I do not have traction control, but I had no problems with the ABS.

Another member here from my area with an '04 tried this, and got an ABS alarm. His dealership fiddled with something in his EEC first, and he never resolved the issue. He ended up switching back to staggered size, so, the cause was never discovered. Again, your results may vary. I suggest you try to pair up with another MM owner and swap some tires for a road test, and if you do, include a run on the highway for 10 miles or more. The alarms are not always immediate.

BTW, there's plenty of room in the front and rear wheel wells for larger sizes. I am presently running 255/45/18 in the front, with cut spring that lower the car 1.5". I have 285/45/18 in the rear (on wider 9.5" wheels) with the air suspension set to it's lowest mark, no spacers, and no rubbing front or rear.

HWYSTR
06-15-2005, 06:20 AM
Bastages! Well, as stated on another post, as long as the front to rear ratio is maintained, diff sizes could be used. Wonder how many options that leaves? Overall diameter is the constant....

AzMarauder
06-15-2005, 06:24 AM
I'd like to use a full size tire and the regular rim in the spare location, and wonder if it fits. Anyone? I figure it would, though haven't tried. I mean, if you get a flat, and your trunk is full, where would you put it? And what's everyone's take on 5x tire rotation schemes?
5 tire rotation won't work. The front tires and the rear tires are not the same size. (the rims are but the tires aren't)

SergntMac
06-15-2005, 06:28 AM
Wonder how many options that leaves? Overall diameter is the constant....
Anything tore wider than 255 needs a wheel wider than 8", but in the 255 family, you'll spend a day reviewing choices. All will fit just fine.

If you're willing to consider an aftermarket wheel with an offset not exceeding 35mm, many more options open up. Wheels are available that are 18X9 and fit the front, and 18X10, which will fit the rear. Another day of choices?

Remember, the lower the offset number (50mm vs. 35mm) the further the wheel will protrude towards the outside of the wheel well. 35mm will not stick out, but that's your limit. 30mm will stick out.

HWYSTR
06-15-2005, 08:23 AM
So there's a bunch of chioces in 255 in a 55 aspect ratio, or a 50? 50 I know, though if your trying to maintain the front/rear ratio, then it becomes more difficult....

wchain
06-15-2005, 08:56 AM
I used a 16" Ford CVPI Steel Wheel with a P225/60R16 Tire, good enough to limp me home/nearest tire shop without having to go 40 MPH.

SergntMac
06-15-2005, 09:15 AM
So there's a bunch of chioces in 255 in a 55 aspect ratio, or a 50? 50 I know, though if your trying to maintain the front/rear ratio, then it becomes more difficult....
Choices everywhere, in 55, 50, 45, 40, 35 and so on...The only thing you need to watch is the difference in height between front and rear tires. Keep the difference within the OEM 1.05" taller in back tolerance and you'll be fine. This can be less than 1.05" too, which is why same size all around works. Calculate your tire height and speedo error here...

http://www.binaryinc.org/auto_calc/

Both ABS and TC rely on counting tire revolutions, and it's preset to accept different revolutions that occur from smaller tire in front, larger tire in back. Stay within the limit, and revolutions will appear normal when the EEC compares front to rear. Only when it detects abnormal does it react to what looks like tire spin, or, loss of traction during braking.

brucerines
01-13-2006, 07:45 PM
I have an "03A" model. How do I get my hands in the small space to undo the wingnut to remove the spare tire? Of course I'd love to have all four corners the same size and I would be able to rotate tires. I did get 29,00 miles on my original tires. I felt cheated but dealer said I did very well. Love my car and lot, wished they had never stopped production.

valleyman
01-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Wingnut???

AzMarauder
01-13-2006, 09:52 PM
I have an "03A" model. How do I get my hands in the small space to undo the wingnut to remove the spare tire? Of course I'd love to have all four corners the same size and I would be able to rotate tires. I did get 29,00 miles on my original tires. I felt cheated but dealer said I did very well. Love my car and lot, wished they had never stopped production.

If you have the stock attachment device for the full size spare... you can reach UNDER the tire... and grab the device ( I dont know what to call it.. threaded collar?) and turn it that way. Trying to turn it from the top is a PITA!

HwyCruiser
01-13-2006, 09:52 PM

Reach up from underneath the wheel and twist the body of the hold-down clamp, not the top of it (which sorta does look like a wingnut). Once you've got the clamp loose its just a matter of fidgeting around with the hook to get it to release from the eyelet on the package tray. I hate that clamp...

EDIT: AZ beat me to it!

RCSignals
01-14-2006, 12:25 AM
Another member here from my area with an '04 tried this, and got an ABS alarm. His dealership fiddled with something in his EEC first, and he never resolved the issue. He ended up switching back to staggered size, so, the cause was never discovered. Again, your results may vary. I suggest you try to pair up with another MM owner and swap some tires for a road test, and if you do, include a run on the highway for 10 miles or more. The alarms are not always immediate.

Another I know of had this happen with an '04. The car went into a 'limp' mode and had to be reset by the dealer. It wouldn't accelerate over something like 20mph

RCSignals
01-14-2006, 12:26 AM
................. From what I was told by a few members who have upgraded, the mounting parts are "in the bag". ..............

This is true, of '03 300Bs anyway

merc6
01-14-2006, 12:44 AM
well I had 2 difrent size tires on and abs and brake light came on and thats about it.

SergntMac
01-14-2006, 03:21 AM
Been some development in my garage since this thread was opened last June. I now own a 300B with Traction control, AND with a set of winter wheels and tires in place.

Results: My 225/60-17 wheel/tire combo does not cause any ABS alarms. The Traction Control throws an alarm only when above 50 MPH, or, in a tight turn. When I'm getting on the highway, I just shut it off.

Both alarms are temporary. The Traction Control alarm will go away once "traction" is restored, and the ABS alarm will go away once the ignition is cycled to the off position.

Seems it's not a particular size, but the difference in size between the front and rear, that's critical. Hope this helps someone.

melfunkshun
01-14-2006, 07:58 AM
Of course I'd love to have all four corners the same size and I would be able to rotate tires.

Since you have an "03A" model (300A), you can have the same tires on all four corners. 03' 300B & 2004's have traction control issues when you have the same size all around.

merc6
01-14-2006, 08:01 AM
I had 2 difrent tires on the front(see "fun times with stud" thread for more clarification ;) )