PDA

View Full Version : 16" Rim on the front.. Hit or miss?

TooManyFords
06-16-2005, 06:07 AM
Has anyone ever tried to test fit a 16" aluminum rim on the front of our cars?

If so, did it clear the calipers?

Just trying to save some time and ask before I run down and try to duplicate a failure.

Thanks in advance.

John

woaface
06-16-2005, 06:11 AM
Stock it's all the same as a Grand Marquis, so they should fit. But why the hell would you do something like that?! What's wrong with the 18's!

Wires
06-16-2005, 06:47 AM
My dad suggested to me that I go to 15s!!!! (Tires are cheaper, and you have a better selection.)

I thought about 17's, maybe the CV sport wheels or something - wheels are a matter of personal taste. "Too much bling," "too plain," "ugly" depends on who's doing the choosing.

If I hadn't already gone with the 4.10s, 3.90 gears would have allowed smaller wheels, which would have allowed me to lower the car for better handling. Plus, my dad was correct about tire selection, but not the 15s. I don't think that would look right.

16 inch "cop wheels" might be OK. Again, personal preference.

TooManyFords
06-16-2005, 06:48 AM
Nothing is wrong with my 18's, they're for sale!

I want to go to a 16" rim to open up the availability of tire sizes as the 18" tires are limited as everyone is seeing.

metroplex
06-16-2005, 07:16 AM
16" is a decent choice but 17" isn't a bad idea either.

18s are too bling bling for everyday use.

RoyLPita
06-16-2005, 07:25 AM
My dad suggested to me that I go to 15s!!!! (Tires are cheaper, and you have a better selection.)

I thought about 17's, maybe the CV sport wheels or something - wheels are a matter of personal taste. "Too much bling," "too plain," "ugly" depends on who's doing the choosing.

If I hadn't already gone with the 4.10s, 3.90 gears would have allowed smaller wheels, which would have allowed me to lower the car for better handling. Plus, my dad was correct about tire selection, but not the 15s. I don't think that would look right.

16 inch "cop wheels" might be OK. Again, personal preference.

15" wheels will not clear the calipers. This is why 16" wheels are standard on CVs and GM' since 1998.

BTW, 2006 CVPIs and Taxis get 17" steel wheels.

As for my choices, I have 3 other sets of wheels to useon my future MM: 16" steelies ('02 & under)('03) and 17" Bullitt wheels w/BFG Scorchers.

TooManyFords
06-16-2005, 07:39 AM
Sounds like my plan is coming together.

Thanks everyone!

John

Skiordie53
06-16-2005, 03:53 PM
Sounds like my plan is coming together.

Thanks everyone!

John
i was also thinking a set of smaller wheels for snow tires.

Rider90
06-16-2005, 04:32 PM
It'll work, no problems. What a difference it will make in the ride though.

Skiordie53
06-16-2005, 04:38 PM
It'll work, no problems. What a difference it will make in the ride though.
what would it do to the ride better or worse?

Rider90
06-16-2005, 04:40 PM
what would it do to the ride better or worse?

Better. The larger the rim and smaller the tire, the less comfortable it is. I describe the larger the rim as the more cracks in the road you will feel.

SergntMac
06-16-2005, 05:01 PM
John...If it's not to late to pitch my .02c in here...

First, I think you will have a problem with 16" wheels. I remember way back when we did our first snow tire group buy, the very first. I don't remember who (may have been "Wags"), but someone bought a set of Ford steelies in 16", and had to grind down the corners of the caliper for wheel clearance. Despite what's been posted in this thread, I do not believe the Marauder shares the same front brake and rotor dimensions with GMs of the same year. Moreover, Steve Babcock was clear in explaining that the MM got some brake parts from the Mustang family. If you haven't committed to a purchase, find a bone yard for a test fit?

Second, you have some new found power here, my friend. Are you considering leaving any room for a brake upgrade? More go means more whoa, yes? What ever you come to buy today, should allow you an upgrade path when you find it justified. No sense in buying wheels twice, eh?

Lastly, shoot me an e-mail with your prices on the MM wheels, I may be able to help with a fast sale when you're ready to unload them.

HwyCruiser
06-16-2005, 05:21 PM
Are you considering leaving any room for a brake upgrade? More go means more whoa, yes? What ever you come to buy today, should allow you an upgrade path when you find it justified. No sense in buying wheels twice, eh?

Good point Mac. Something like caliper clearance is hard to judge without already having a big brake kit installed and test fitting different wheels. Good thing we have a couple of options that already work with the OEM wheels.

John, powdercoating or other refinishing of the OEMs may be a good option if you're seeking a different look. :dunno:

TooManyFords
06-16-2005, 05:54 PM
John...If it's not to late to pitch my .02c in here....
Not too late! Always have an open ear for this stuff... I'm trying to nail everything down by the end of the month in case it takes 30 days to custom machine the wheels of choice so it can be ready for MV-III.

First, I think you will have a problem with 16" wheels. I remember way back when we did our first snow tire group buy, the very first. I don't remember who (may have been "Wags"), but someone bought a set of Ford steelies in 16", and had to grind down the corners of the caliper for wheel clearance. Despite what's been posted in this thread, I do not believe the Marauder shares the same front brake and rotor dimensions with GMs of the same year. Moreover, Steve Babcock was clear in explaining that the MM got some brake parts from the Mustang family. If you haven't committed to a purchase, find a bone yard for a test fit?
I'm trying to track down some of those threads, but the Search on here doesn't always give you what you remember reading years ago. haha!
My current plan is to call Colorado Custom out there in Fort Collins CO and ask if it is possible to go out there and test-fit some rims just to make sure. I can't see spending $2400 on rims if they don't fit. Wanna ride out there?

Second, you have some new found power here, my friend. Are you considering leaving any room for a brake upgrade? More go means more whoa, yes? What ever you come to buy today, should allow you an upgrade path when you find it justified. No sense in buying wheels twice, eh?

I've been giving that some thought too. Provided a 16" rim will fit, I'm going to find the best caliper and discs that are no bigger than what the factory size is. Granted, it won't be bigger, but there have been great strides in making it better in the same place. Better pads, slotted and cross-drilled rotors etc.

Lastly, shoot me an e-mail with your prices on the MM wheels, I may be able to help with a fast sale when you're ready to unload them.

As soon as I have finalized my pick of new shoes, I'll do that!

Cheers!

john

rayjay
06-16-2005, 06:12 PM
FWIW, I ran 16" CVPI wheels all last winter w/out any problem. Bought them from the tirerack.

SergntMac
06-16-2005, 06:48 PM
Thanks for listening, John, this was all I asked for. Keep us posted on your progress, and if you come to design a really cool wheel for the MM, give us first shot at it?

jgc61sr2002
06-16-2005, 07:02 PM
IMO the Marauder has the best rims around. :) Other than winter tires why would anyone want to change them? The cost of tires is nominal compared to 16" wheels. Just my 2cents.

1stMerc
06-16-2005, 07:34 PM
There have been others who had tried a diferent wheel and tire package on the 04's but ran into problems do to the traction control.

GarageMahal
06-16-2005, 07:55 PM
FWIW, I ran 16" CVPI wheels all last winter w/out any problem. Bought them from the tirerack.

I have used the 16" steelies for the winters too. The ones I have fit but it is really tight. I also remember someone having to grind a little of the calipers to make them fit, but mine were fine.

I guess it will depend on the specific 16 inch wheel you go with.

jta

wchain
06-17-2005, 08:01 AM
15" wheels will not clear the calipers. This is why 16" wheels are standard on CVs and GM' since 1998.

BTW, 2006 CVPIs and Taxis get 17" steel wheels.

As for my choices, I have 3 other sets of wheels to useon my future MM: 16" steelies ('02 & under)('03) and 17" Bullitt wheels w/BFG Scorchers.

BRI! thoise pre 03 Wheels wont fit without stiking WAY out... :burnout:

MENINBLK
06-17-2005, 08:07 AM
As you can see in my sig, I have 16" wheels and tires from Tirerack for the winter.
They are VERY CLOSE to the calipers but they will clear fine.

The problem lies within the placement of the wheel weights.
I have to tap on a few of them to flatten them slightly
just so they wouldn't touch the caliper as they passed it by.

Otherwise, they fit fine, and with the correct size tires,
I have no traction control issues.
I just have to deal with the GM ride for the winter,
and re-adjust to the Marauder ride every spring.

RoyLPita
06-17-2005, 08:37 AM
BRI! thoise pre 03 Wheels wont fit without stiking WAY out... :burnout:

I thought that they will fit just fine. Here's an example:
http://www.ls1camaro.net/freehosting/05219195_2X.jpg

wchain
06-17-2005, 09:50 AM
I thought that they will fit just fine. Here's an example:
http://www.ls1camaro.net/freehosting/05219195_2X.jpg

Look at that front tire....

I know for a fact, 03+ wheels will not fit pre 03 cars without a MAJOR spacer.
Maybe the Pre 03 cars will bolt on fine, but IIRC they stick out quite a bit mroe than the 03+ Style Wheels.

When they designed the cars with the New Hydroformed frame for MY 2003, they moved shocks outboard in the rear, and used zero offset wheels on the car.

fast Ed
06-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Despite what's been posted in this thread, I do not believe the Marauder shares the same front brake and rotor dimensions with GMs of the same year. Moreover, Steve Babcock was clear in explaining that the MM got some brake parts from the Mustang family. If you haven't committed to a purchase, find a bone yard for a test fit?

The Ford parts catalogue shows the same part numbers for front pads, rotors, and calipers are the same for all 2003 - 2005 Crown Vic, Grand Marquis including Marauder, and Town Car (except Limo package). :)

cheers
Ed N.

RoyLPita
06-17-2005, 12:13 PM
Look at that front tire....

I know for a fact, 03+ wheels will not fit pre 03 cars without a MAJOR spacer.
Maybe the Pre 03 cars will bolt on fine, but IIRC they stick out quite a bit mroe than the 03+ Style Wheels.

When they designed the cars with the New Hydroformed frame for MY 2003, they moved shocks outboard in the rear, and used zero offset wheels on the car.

I was just stating what I have to choose from.

BTW, Teamrope used my style wheels with snow tires this past winter. There is a pic on it (somewhere). They will stick out, but not as bad a Cobra R wheel.

SergntMac
06-17-2005, 01:50 PM
The Ford parts catalogue shows the same part numbers for front pads, rotors, and calipers are the same for all 2003 - 2005 Crown Vic, Grand Marquis including Marauder, and Town Car (except Limo package). :)

cheers
Ed N.
Yep...Today. Today you are correct, the caliper on the MM is interchangable with GMs, CVs, CV/PIs and TCs. Three years ago, they were not. Prior to the '03 MM and it's new Panther frame, the calipers were different, and wheels from previous years would not fit the '03 MM. With the MM's early release (June '02), the aftermarket was slow to respond to the changes, and there were no options for early MM owners facing their first winter. They found out the hard way, and had to trim the calipers. However, today there are many choices that do fit, this is just a note of caution to the shoppers, to watch your model year.

TooManyFords
06-17-2005, 04:19 PM
Just an update, I've scrapped the 16" plan and am now pursuing 18x8 front and 20x10 for the rear. More updates as this new "Plan B" evolves!

Thanks for everyone's input so far!

john

SergntMac
06-17-2005, 04:38 PM
John...You're not going to let FastEd ^ there steal your classic "cheers!" are ya? It's your trademark!

TooManyFords
06-17-2005, 05:07 PM
John...You're not going to let FastEd ^ there steal your classic "cheers!" are ya? It's your trademark!
To which John replied in his best New York accent, "why I oughtta...."

Cheers!©®

John

TooManyFords
06-17-2005, 05:12 PM
Back to the Rims question. I sent a msg off to Colorado Custom about the wheels I am looking at to get a custom Backspacing and, well, here is the original msg and their reply...

-------------
John,<FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=navy><FONT color=navy><FONT face=Arial><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><o:p> </o:p></FONT></FONT></FONT></FONT></FONT></P><P style=The Empire III are directional wheels and symmetrical. With your offset of 7.5 you will have to go with 18x9 soft lip at $760.00 each rim and 20x10 soft lip at $980.00 each rim. If you need a test fit we can send you at set of each rim at $250.00 per set. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>Thank you,<o:p></o:p>

Jo <HR tabIndex=-1 align=center width="100%" SIZE=2>Subject: Empire III rim<o:p> </o:p>

Question: with the swept design on the spokes, are they directional? IE: can I get the lefts to sweep one way and the rights the other so they are symmetrical?

Note: the symmetry is not as important as backspacing and offset though. <o:p></o:p>
Also, can you do this with custom backspacing and offset for my Mercury Marauder?<o:p></o:p>

Specs: <o:p></o:p>

Front wheels 18x9.5, 7.5" backspacing.
Rear wheels 20x9.5, 7.5" backspacing. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

Also, because I'm looking to spend $2000+ on rims, if I drive out to your location can we test-fit rims to see what hits and what fits?

-----------------------------

Now, from her reply she mentioned that I can get the custom backspacing I need/want but the rims will require a "solf-lip" design. What the heck is that?

Cheers!©®

John

2003DOHC
06-25-2005, 05:54 PM
I have used the 16" steelies for the winters too. The ones I have fit but it is really tight. I also remember someone having to grind a little of the calipers to make them fit, but mine were fine.

I guess it will depend on the specific 16 inch wheel you go with.

jta

Ford part number 3W7Z-1007-F 16X7 steel wheel list $82.68 wholesale$66.48.
Backspacing 6.25 inches fits the front of the MM just fine. These will be my winter wheels with blizzak tires.