PDA

View Full Version : Dyno Results: 442 RWHP / 401 RWTQ!

HwyCruiser
06-18-2005, 02:01 PM
I finally had the opportunity to get my MM dyno'ed since the Procharger install. :banana2:

First the results:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/dyno_6-18-05.jpg

Now the details:

- I'm running a 370 pulley, which ramps the boost up to 9 psi @ 6000 rpm. No capability to graph boost with the equipment used.

- The tune I'm running is directly from Diablo, with only WOT shift rpms set to 5800 rpm across the board tweaked by my hands. As you can see, the A/F ratio taken by a wideband O2 sensor from a bung welded before the cat is between 10.8:1 and 11.8:1 across the entire sampled rpm range. Nick from MC Racing assured me with his thought that this was a good safe base tune for a plug-and-play installation. I plan on eventually getting a dyno-tune to flatten out the A/F ratio line specifically for my MM's characteristics but for now I should be good to go.

- I was running 40/60 mix of 100/92 octane, which should yeild about 95 octane if my calculator is working correctly. I asked if Nick if I was fooling myself doing this, but he agreed that using caution while testing out a baseline tune was a good idea and that it shouldn't effect the results all that much.

Other than a taste of 93 octane in Cedar Falls, I've been running 92 BP/Amoco Gold in her ever since the first 1/2 tank of 40/60 mix was used right after the install. I'm going to treat her to the good stuff as I feel like it, esp. when I feel like flogging her. Other than that, 92 octane seems to work just fine with the base tune.

- ODBII info was logged during the dyno pulls with the SCT Raptor software. Timing was 13.8 degrees of advance at 6000 rpm.

- A little fan was set up to blow air across the intercooler. The fan was like the little portable one that was used at Indy if anyone was there and remembers, not one of those monster wind-tunnel variants. It was 90 Deg F in the shop (hot) and the IAT got up to 125 Deg F at the end of the run.

To delve into this a little deeper, My IAT was relocated to the aluminum throttle body transition, the furthest point away from intercooler, during install. The new kits locate the IAT right after the intercooler so that engine heatsoak doesn't effect the temperature as much as it does on mine. I'm told that my IAT runs about 10 Deg F hotter as compared to the revised installations. I'm not planning on changing it because I want the PCM to see worst case conditions, even if it is due to a hot intake transition.

The two-core intercooler selected for the 9 PSI application is performing as advertised. Procharger say their air-to-air intercoolers are good for cooling down to 28 Deg F above ambient. Any way you slice it, I'm a believer.

- Yes, I have an arms-length list of other modifications (see the sig link below for more details), but the previously installed DR Cobra exhaust with Magnaflows is the only other mod to the Procharger kit that would help with dyno results. My results are pretty close to Procharger #1 (Tmac's car) with the same mods. Since we have two Procharger Marauders in Florida, Diablo is getting plenty of opportunity to improve on the base tune that I'm running.

Hopefully times will be forthcoming next weekend at CFR while I visit with TooManyFords during the Sturgis Falls celibration. We will see how the OEM tire traction issue works out.

Pick this apart if you must, but I believe that the more information that gets put out on this kit the more others will see that its the real deal.

:burnout:

NAVCHAP
06-18-2005, 02:39 PM
Nice numbers JD! See you on the road to Woodward Ave! -kjs-

RoyLPita
06-18-2005, 04:59 PM
Very nice numbers. Keep us posted.

Smokie
06-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Excellent numbers, you have a solid 350 ft lbs of torque from about 3850 rpm's all the way to 6400 rpm's. Your HP shows no sign of let up at 6400 rpm's.

With your gears and T/C you should get to your sweet spot almost inmedietly. It must feel awsome to drive and your 1/4 numbers should be in top 10, maybe better. Congratulations.:bows:

HwyCruiser
06-18-2005, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.

Excellent numbers, you have a solid 350 ft lbs of torque from about 3850 rpm's all the way to 6400 rpm's. Your HP shows no sign of let up at 6400 rpm's.

With your gears and T/C you should get to your sweet spot almost inmedietly. It must feel awsome to drive and your 1/4 numbers should be in top 10, maybe better. Congratulations.:bows:

Smokie, you're right on about the T/C and gears.

Nick was pulling the dyno trigger at 3400 rpm but the rpms flashed up 400-500 rpm before the Winpep software started to log samples. I don't have a program to lock the T/C for a dyno pull, which I'm not crazy about doing anyway. Let her dyno like she would run on the street IMO.

The T/C and gears allow the engine to ramp up into the boost PDQ. I've found that from a dead punch I can smoke the OEM tires right into the rev limiter. I can't keep saying enough on how these mods complement each other.

At WOT my rpms drop to about 4200 after the 1-2 shift which puts me right in the torque curve's sweet spot around 5 psi of boost. I've only been able to get real happy on freeway entrances so I haven't seen a WOT 2-3 shift yet. CFR here I come!

I think I'll have to be happy with low 13's with the OEM tires (and me behind the wheel) though. I've been watching the recent tire / wheel developments very closely to see what they come up with. I definately need all the help I can get.

Zack would have to come up and get her in the 12's for me. I'd even empty the trunk for him. :D

snowbird
06-19-2005, 08:43 AM
A lot of thanks for that very informative post. Clears out some questions i had in mind about the Diablo base tune included with the kit and you posted just in time for me.

Consider i owe you a beer !!:beer:

TooManyFords
06-19-2005, 10:30 AM
So, now you're ready to put your foot in it at CFR?

I'm already trying to figure out how to keep ahead of you but I suspect I won't be able to.

:D

I fear the rice on University Ave will not be the same after you leave town...

Cheers!

John

HwyCruiser
06-19-2005, 11:25 AM
A lot of thanks for that very informative post. Clears out some questions i had in mind about the Diablo base tune included with the kit and you posted just in time for me.

Consider i owe you a beer !!:beer:

snowbird, I don't think you'll have any problems with the 9 psi kit with the conservative base tune as long as you keep good gas in her. Let's hear it for Procharger kit #5... soon to be Maraudering Canada!

HwyCruiser
06-19-2005, 11:44 AM
So, now you're ready to put your foot in it at CFR?

I'm already trying to figure out how to keep ahead of you but I suspect I won't be able to.

:D

I fear the rice on University Ave will not be the same after you leave town...

Cheers!

John

Dang ol' supercharger man, tell you 'bout it woowee get on it and light up the tires, man yup love that CFR like catnip, uhuh would love to put my foot in it up there like a dang ol' Superman loves to fly but that's all I got to say, brief man myself yup dang ol' internet man. Go www dot superchargemyride click click click yup man that is all.

MarauderTJA
06-19-2005, 12:17 PM
I finally had the opportunity to get my MM dyno'ed since the Procharger install. :banana2:

First the results:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=422

Now the details:

- I'm running a 370 pulley, which ramps the boost up to 9 psi @ 6000 rpm. No capability to graph boost with the equipment used.

- The tune I'm running is directly from Diablo, with only WOT shift rpms set to 5800 rpm across the board tweaked by my hands. As you can see, the A/F ratio taken by a wideband O2 sensor from a bung welded before the cat is between 10.8:1 and 11.8:1 across the entire sampled rpm range. Nick from MC Racing assured me with his thought that this was a good safe base tune for a plug-and-play installation. I plan on eventually getting a dyno-tune to flatten out the A/F ratio line specifically for my MM's characteristics but for now I should be good to go.

- I was running 40/60 mix of 100/92 octane, which should yeild about 95 octane if my calculator is working correctly. I asked if Nick if I was fooling myself doing this, but he agreed that using caution while testing out a baseline tune was a good idea and that it shouldn't effect the results all that much.

Other than a taste of 93 octane in Cedar Falls, I've been running 92 BP/Amoco Gold in her ever since the first 1/2 tank of 40/60 mix was used right after the install. I'm going to treat her to the good stuff as I feel like it, esp. when I feel like flogging her. Other than that, 92 octane seems to work just fine with the base tune.

- ODBII info was logged during the dyno pulls with the SCT Raptor software. Timing was 13.8 degrees of advance at 6000 rpm.

- A little fan was set up to blow air across the intercooler. The fan was like the little portable one that was used at Indy if anyone was there and remembers, not one of those monster wind-tunnel variants. It was 90 Deg F in the shop (hot) and the IAT got up to 125 Deg F at the end of the run.

To delve into this a little deeper, My IAT was relocated to the aluminum throttle body transition, the furthest point away from intercooler, during install. The new kits locate the IAT right after the intercooler so that engine heatsoak doesn't effect the temperature as much as it does on mine. I'm told that my IAT runs about 10 Deg F hotter as compared to the revised installations. I'm not planning on changing it because I want the PCM to see worst case conditions, even if it is due to a hot intake transition.

The two-core intercooler selected for the 9 PSI application is performing as advertised. Procharger say their air-to-air intercoolers are good for cooling down to 28 Deg F above ambient. Any way you slice it, I'm a believer.

- Yes, I have an arms-length list of other modifications (see the sig link below for more details), but the previously installed DR Cobra exhaust with Magnaflows is the only other mod to the Procharger kit that would help with dyno results. My results are pretty close to Procharger #1 (Tmac's car) with the same mods. Since we have two Procharger Marauders in Florida, Diablo is getting plenty of opportunity to improve on the base tune that I'm running.

Hopefully times will be forthcoming next weekend at CFR while I visit with TooManyFords during the Sturgis Falls celibration. We will see how the OEM tire traction issue works out.

Pick this apart if you must, but I believe that the more information that gets put out on this kit the more others will see that its the real deal.

Great numbers and good luck at the track. You will find as I have that the stock tires will be terrible. You will be smoking them off the rims. For any decent times you have to go to drag radials. I have the second set of tires just put on my car. Also working on a set of race rims and tires just for the track. You might as well order a second set now. Cause you will need them.

Have been running the 60 lb injectors and MAFia mass air extender with a base tune. Car is a bit fat down low is running rich up top keeping it safe. Driveability is good though. Also will be tuning the car with the methanol injection and overall should be an impressive high horsepower safe tune when all is done. Will keep you posted

Tom, Cape Coral, Florida

BUCKWHEAT
06-19-2005, 02:01 PM
Way to go, JD! Let the fun begin....but lose the factory rear tires. They no longer fit the equation.

Regards.

John

:burnout:[/QUOTE]

maraudernkc
06-19-2005, 08:58 PM
JD, those numbers would have been higher if your converter was locked. I don't agree with locking the converter on the Dyno. Your IAT tempatures would be lower cruising down the street at 45MPH which would equal extra RWHP.

Those are still nice safe numbers.

Congrats! :bounce:

First the results:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=422

Now the details:

Smokie
06-20-2005, 05:42 AM
JD, those numbers would have been higher if your converter was locked. I don't agree with locking the converter on the Dyno. Your statement poses a question to my understanding of what a torque converter does. My understanding is that the converter when it is UNlocked acts as a torque multiplier=more torque.

When the converter is locked you actually have a physical connection between flywheel and transmission. I would expect the readings to be lower with a locked converter because there is no multiplier factor.

If my understanding of how a converter works is flawed please let me know, I like to learn.:)

maraudernkc
06-20-2005, 08:32 AM
Smokie, my partner tried to explain this to me and I will try to pass it along to you, the best that I can.

The TQ converter converts Horsepower into touque. When you lock your converter on the Dyno it will show a lower TQ number below 3500RPM but will show a higher HP number at higher RPM. There is a stator in the coverter that does something and I forgot everything that my partner told me now.

If anyone wants to jump in, go right ahead, if not I will get you a better explanation.

Thanks, Greg

Your statement poses a question to my understanding of what a torque converter does. My understanding is that the converter when it is UNlocked acts as a torque multiplier=more torque.

When the converter is locked you actually have a physical connection between flywheel and transmission. I would expect the readings to be lower with a locked converter because there is no multiplier factor.

If my understanding of how a converter works is flawed please let me know, I like to learn.:)

HwyCruiser
06-20-2005, 03:37 PM
Your statement poses a question to my understanding of what a torque converter does. My understanding is that the converter when it is UNlocked acts as a torque multiplier=more torque.

If my understanding of how a converter works is flawed please let me know, I like to learn.

Here's a write-up from Kenny Bell that goes into quite some detail on the effect of locked vs. unlocked converters (skip to the last page for the interesting stuff):

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ford-techinfo/46gtTechTips_2200.pdf

I wonder what my rear-wheel numbers would be with one of those neato "for-dyno-testing-purposes-only" tunes would be? :hmmm:

Greg's gotta work on getting one of those for me. :D

EDIT: Started a new thread here (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19145) regarding the article.

Cobra25
06-20-2005, 03:46 PM
Really nice number's & a great kit. I'm sure your going to have alot of fun with it.

klmore
06-21-2005, 08:41 AM
Really nice number's & a great kit. I'm sure your going to have alot of fun with it.
I agree, great numbers. Enjoy the power.:burnout: