PDA

View Full Version : My Paint

tomd
03-07-2003, 08:48 AM
Hey All You Smart Guys :D

With the damage done to my Marauder the 1st body shop used a buffer on the whole car, scratching it from bumper to bumper. I believe the car or the buffer pad or both were dirty! Is then any product the new body shop can use on the paint that will remove the scratches forever or will the whole car need to be repainted???

Thanks!

LincMercLover
03-07-2003, 09:18 AM
Mequires Gold Class Paste does great for getting all those swirl marks out. I done mine by hand every other wash.

WolfeBros
03-07-2003, 10:22 AM
Nothing really removes the scratches and swirl marks. The Meguiars and others have products that actually work pretty well at hiding them. I recommend the Zaino Bros # 5 polish. Go to WWW.Zainobros.com for details.

MAD-3R
03-07-2003, 10:27 AM
Have you tried grabbing the manager of the shop by his short and currlys and show him the scratch marks?

Diocles
03-07-2003, 11:01 AM
I have used Zaino stuff for years and there is nothing better, especially for black cars but, if you have some scratches in the paint you are better off with a heavier rubbing compound. Zaino #5 can work great for swirl marks but it has such few abrasive compounds that it takes many applications to work on a scratch.

tomd
03-07-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by MAD-3R
Have you tried grabbing the manager of the shop by his short and currlys and show him the scratch marks?

:help: :help:
When I pick her up it was late Friday afternoon and it was filthy! The next morning I pulled her out of the garage to clean her up; it was a beautiful warm bright sunny day in October. After washing her I pull her out of the shady spot where she was park, I then started to notice ALL the scratch and swirls marks. I went ballistic! The car was scratched from bumper to bumper with over spray still on the body, windows and wheels! I was more upset seeing what the body shop did then the accident itself! The first (2nd time there) body shop then sent the car out to be detailed, I believe then use Zaino wax and it worked GREAT, was it sharp looking! But the wax didn’t last, after just a few washes it started coming off.

My biggest concern here is, should the whole car be repainted or is there something magical out there that will cover the scratches forever??? I don’t intend on waxing this car every month to cover the body shop screw up.

Thanks Again Guy’s

Diocles
03-07-2003, 01:16 PM
It might be a candidate for color-sanding.

merc406
03-07-2003, 01:56 PM
Hope it's not through the clearcoat, if it is then it has to be repainted. If not try a buffer with a glaze and then wax.

jgc61sr2002
03-07-2003, 02:54 PM
Get an opinion form a detail shop. If any one can get out the scratches or marks they can. John

Billatpro
03-07-2003, 03:16 PM
Why not take it back to the Body Shop and make it thier problem? Because they caused it. or did they not?

tomd
03-08-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Billatpro
Why not take it back to the Body Shop and make it thier problem? Because they caused it. or did they not?

It still is in the Body shop, but NOT at the 1st one who :censor: it up.

The problem am running into is that everyone involved in fixing my Marauder acts like then can cover all the scratches! As bad as the car looked I just can’t see anything making the car look good again other then a new paint job.

Note: The cars paint job was great until I got hit and the 1st body shop got the car.

Guys you cannot image how bad the cars paint was after this body shop. Am not talking about small scratches here and there in the paint, what it looks like is someone took a SANDER to the car! The places then missed with their buffer, the paint is dull from the over spray on it.

CRUZTAKER
03-08-2003, 10:45 AM
I don't have an answer. But believe..you are NOT the only one out there to experience this problem, nor will WE be the last. My MM gets worse DAILY. It had nothing to do with a body shop. It was a combination of the way it was delivered and my own recklessness.

I feel your pain, oh I feel it. I don't even want to go outside and look at it.

JamesHecker
03-08-2003, 11:20 AM
Mine was full of sider webs when I got it! I talked to a detail guy that said he could get rid of them, but it would require a regular visit every 6 to 8 weeks.

I have several other small scartches on it now from various sources. I have given up obsessing over it. I try to keep it clean, free from scratches, park as far away from potential damage as possible, but I know I just can't keep it perfect. :(

Paul T. Casey
03-08-2003, 12:15 PM
hey man, it's shiny black. that means that when a gnat flies over it, it'll leave a mark. seriously, the color co-ordinated waxes seemed to work ok on my wife's car, that real dark blue dodge color on about a half billion Neons out there.

merc406
03-08-2003, 12:57 PM
Call your Insurance adjuster up and demand a solution!

CRUZTAKER
03-08-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by merc406
Call your Insurance adjuster up and demand a solution!

Really..............?
I did'nt know one could do that. I am good buddies with my S.F. agent.

Although I have'nt made a claim in 15 years.....

merc406
03-08-2003, 02:04 PM
Agent's and adjusters are 2 different departments at most ins. companies.

WolfeBros
03-08-2003, 03:08 PM
I agree with Merc406. You should not and do not have to put up with a crappy job. Call you insurance adjuster ASAP.

tomd
03-09-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by WolfeBros
I agree with Merc406. You should not and do not have to put up with a crappy job. Call you insurance adjuster ASAP.

The Distract manger for my area is already involved; he came into the picture when :argue: I blew my stack over the 1st body shop :censor: it up. My Marauder is at ANOTHER body shop for the last 2 months fixing the mistakes the first one made.

What they keep telling me at the NEW body shop and also the SF Distract Manger is that they can get the scratches out of the car, but I don’t think so. Yes they can wax it, but that’s not going to last for the life of the car, and I have no intention of waxing it every 4 to 6 weeks. The FIRST body shop did wax it and it looked sharp, but that wax job only lasted for about 4 car washes.

The question is
<FONT COLOR=RED>The car is badly scratched; can they apply something to the paint to rid the scratches forever??? </FONT COLOR=RED> Thanks guys.
:bows:

Mark McQuaide
03-09-2003, 12:47 PM
A scratch is paint that's been removed. Taking a scratch out of a paint finish is like taking a hole out of your yard - you have to either fill it with something or lower the ground until it's level with the bottom of the hole.

I think the choices are an abrasive rubbing or a new paint job.

WolfeBros
03-09-2003, 04:28 PM
NO

merc406
03-09-2003, 04:44 PM
If the scratches are from under the paint and in the body filler used, or in bad pre-paint-prep job, it has to be done over. Paint that dulls after being rubbed and waxed after a couple of weeks is due to bad paint prep, sometimes due to solvents, not enough time between prime, sealer and or paint coats. Black is a very revealing color that will reflect the time put into pre-preperation time.

looking97233
03-12-2003, 11:29 PM
If the scratches are through the clear and into the color, no they cannot fix it. If this is the case and they say they can fix it, find another shop. Cuz' if they're liying to you about being able to fix it, how can you trust them to do a good job re-painting it when the truth comes out? Painting a car black and doing a good job of it is hard work.

tomd
03-13-2003, 01:09 PM
I can't blame the 2nd body shop because it is hard to see the scratches, the car now has to be in bright sunlight to notice different areas where the wax is coming off. I hope to show them all the scratches on the next bright sunny day so they understand what am talking about.

The 1st body shop sent it out to be detailed and I think they use Zaino on it, which covers all the scratches but is slowly coming off.

Thanks again guy’s for your help
:D

looking97233
03-17-2003, 06:17 AM
Wash the car with dawn dish wash or other good soap to remove all the wax/ polish from the car. How else can anybody see what's really wrong with it? I'm suprised the shop hasen't done this.
If it has been two months, I would call the SF people up every day, ask for a status report. Not get rude with them, they didn't cause the dammage, but they do guarantee the work of the shops, I think SF calls them 'five star' that they work with.

tomd
03-17-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by looking97233
Wash the car with dawn dish wash or other good soap to remove all the wax/ polish from the car. How else can anybody see what's really wrong with it? I'm suprised the shop hasen't done this.
If it has been two months, I would call the SF people up every day, ask for a status report. Not get rude with them, they didn't cause the dammage, but they do guarantee the work of the shops, I think SF calls them 'five star' that they work with.

I've done the dawn wash twice, did it right before I took it to the second Body Shop so they could see the all the scratches. The wax that detail shop put on is some good :censor: ! In different areas of the car you will see scratches, areas where the wax has come off.

What’s happing is ALL these people am dealing with can’t see anything in normal lighting contentions, so they think am Nuts or am just looking for a free paint job over entire car.

Thanks to you guys I know that is nothing out there short of a new paint job that will make her look good again! So far they have already repaint the car from the rear doors back to the bumper, how much more work can it be to paint the front half?

Thanks Again!

prchrman
03-17-2003, 09:20 AM
Tomd....I truly feel for you and your problem...scratched my MM washing it...it is to stupid to tell...but...anywho...had to get tough...so got out the rubbing compound and removed scratches by hand...then polished out compound marks with Maguires swirl remover...this was not easy but can not detect any difference between compounded/swirl area to original paint...this took about 6 hours and my shoulder felt like it was going to fall off...the scratches are gone perm and the car looks great...if scratches are too deep say below the clear coat this will probably not work...the paint seems to be really susceptible to minor abrasion...good luck...the scratches just made me sick....