PDA

View Full Version : Recommended detailer in Chicagoland??

ADE 1000
06-20-2005, 08:00 PM
The swirls and towel marks I see in my paint from an ill advised trip to the car wash last winter are starting to irritate me. Does anyone have an experienced detailer in the area they can recommend?

Most of the local joints I visit seem shady to say the least. The risk of having some idiot burn my paint almost makes me want to just leave the car as it is. But I'd like to get my car looking perfect again for the summer and I figure its worth a shot.

Any help would be appreciated.

MarkVI351
06-20-2005, 09:20 PM
well, i have about 5 years of experience and have done a wide range of car. from black benzes to bmws to caddys, i have done alot of cars. i actually have been putting up flyers in my area and have been doing quite a few cars.

Rider90
06-20-2005, 09:43 PM
A 16 year old Jason G. in Chicagoland...hmmmmmmm :D

ADE 1000
06-21-2005, 05:06 AM
well, i have about 5 years of experience and have done a wide range of car. from black benzes to bmws to caddys, i have done alot of cars. i actually have been putting up flyers in my area and have been doing quite a few cars.

I might be interested, tell me more. If you did a good job on my car, my parents black Benz and black Caddy would likely follow.

What kind of products and equipment do you use? Where are you located? Do you have any references you could provide?

Slowpoke
06-21-2005, 06:26 AM
Bert's carwash has a detailing center. This is the place I go on Sunday mornings to get my car washed. I've never used their detailing services but they have been in business for at least 30 years and there are always huge lines of people waiting for their services. This would tbe the ticket if you live in the city; I am sure there are suburban places that could get the job done too. They are at Grand & Ogden... and Sunday is Free Hot Wax Day!!

1987LTDmasta
06-21-2005, 07:16 AM
Simoniz Car Wash.. corner of Boughton rd & Bolingbrook Dr (rt. 53)

i used to work there about 5 years ago detailing cars. they do a superb job.

you may need a going-over with the clay bar to get those stupid swirl marks out.

MarkVI351
06-21-2005, 10:19 PM
Well i wash with meguiers car wash. i always clay bar it and i use meguiers cleaning wax then i use meguiers mirror glaze wax. i shampoo the inside with products from the store, and i have a shampoo machine i use. dash is always cleaned and armor all or whatever i pick up is applied. if your trunk needs cleanning, i can also wash the carpet in it. i can get ahold of my dads friend and he can recommend me. he lives out in park ridge. i just cleaned his caddy cts and toyota camery a month ago. just tell me what you need cleaned and i will do it, and then some. i have a buffer, but personally, i perfer to do it by hand. you can get into every detail crack more better, and you have better control of what you're doing. thats what its called detailing. got to get into every single detail and every crack and corner.

torinodan
06-21-2005, 10:25 PM
Well i wash with meguiers car wash. i always clay bar it and i use meguiers cleaning wax then i use meguiers mirror glaze wax. i shampoo the inside with products from the store, and i have a shampoo machine i use. dash is always cleaned and armor all or whatever i pick up is applied. if your trunk needs cleanning, i can also wash the carpet in it. i can get ahold of my dads friend and he can recommend me. he lives out in park ridge. i just cleaned his caddy cts and toyota camery a month ago. just tell me what you need cleaned and i will do it, and then some. i have a buffer, but personally, i perfer to do it by hand. you can get into every detail crack more better, and you have better control of what you're doing. thats what its called detailing. got to get into every single detail and every crack and corner.
Do you use the Meguiers clay bar or something else? Saw one and was trying to decide if I wanted to buy one. Sorry for the hijacking.

MarkVI351
06-21-2005, 10:44 PM
Do you use the Meguiers clay bar or something else? Saw one and was trying to decide if I wanted to buy one. Sorry for the hijacking.
yup, meguiers clay bar. when i first bought it, i tried it on my moms white p71. the car is always cleaned, and looked pretty white. when i didt the claying, i couldnt believe what came off. yellow and brown crap. when it was finished, i was surprised by the results. it looked like a brand new car again. i can say that i have the whitest car in the area!

Rider90
06-22-2005, 05:19 AM
yup, meguiers clay bar. when i first bought it, i tried it on my moms white p71. the car is always cleaned, and looked pretty white. when i didt the claying, i couldnt believe what came off. yellow and brown crap. when it was finished, i was surprised by the results. it looked like a brand new car again. i can say that i have the whitest car in the area!

Jason, I'm very pleased to hear your results from the Meguiar's Clay Bar. I've never seen that bar around, where did you get it? I've used Mother's Clay Bar and hated it - I can't stand the quality of the clay that is so brittle it comes apart in your hands. I am a big fan of Clay Magic, having used it quite a few times on different cars by now, but I would be interested in trying the Meguiar's one out as well.

I'm so hooked on Clay I think some internet-based mass supply order is in my near future.

SergntMac
06-22-2005, 05:33 AM
I think some internet-based mass supply order is in my near future.
Did you say internet sales?

http://detailking.goemerchant7.com/index.cgi?Merchant=detailking&Cartid=23161059526491&ExpandedDepts=

Rider90
06-22-2005, 05:36 AM
Did you say internet sales?

http://detailking.goemerchant7.com/index.cgi?Merchant=detailking&Cartid=23161059526491&ExpandedDepts=

Hah, that bookmark looks familar :D

03marauder
06-22-2005, 06:23 AM
Jason- You can buy the clay bar off meguiars website, www.meguiars.com (http://www.meguiars.com/). It's called the quick caly system or something. It works very good, I used it on my Crown Vic, just waiting for a chance to clay the Marauder.

MarkVI351
06-22-2005, 08:36 PM
i actually bought mine at the Chicago auto show. it was like 10 bucks, and came with the detailing spray. very pleased with it. who else went to the auto show and waited in the jeep line? i did for 3 hours!

UncleLar
07-12-2005, 05:42 AM
Slopoke,beware Bert's detailing,I haven't seen any bad result's,but... I used to deliver car wash products there way back in the mid to late 70's,it's usually a good car wash,in fact I get my Expy washed there as it won't fit into most car washes,but,I had the old Expy in their for their "hand wax",and they used a buffer,to me that's not a hand waxing.
There's a detailer on Halstead just south of Grand Ave. on the west side of the street and I always see really expensive rides ,AMG Benz's,Ferrari's and Lambo's parked out front looking pretty slick,you might want to check them out. :cool:

Slowpoke
08-05-2005, 06:37 PM
halsted and grand; thats closer to me than Berts!

I will check it out for sure.

Slowpoke
08-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Kudos for UncleLar !!

This morning I went to the place he suggested and they did a hell of a good job handwashing the car and steam-cleaning my engine; total price $45 + tip. It's kinda hard to believe that I must have driven right past this place a coupla hundred times and never really paid attention to it. And he was right... there were some very highend cars sitting inside getting washed, waxed, whatever.

I recomend this place to anyone living dowtown or near north.

We Wash III
452 N Halsted St