PDA

View Full Version : Gauges & Stuff

Mark [N4OGL]
03-07-2003, 09:30 AM
Hi gang,

I just got off the phone with Dave Frey at Kenny Brown and he's going to order the parts for my silver MM, so they'll be there when the car shows up.

As part of that discussion, we were talking about gauges. I've wanted to add at least an Oil Temp gauge somewhere, plus a Trans Temp gauge if possible, and I really wanted the boost gauge but couldn't figure out where it would go (and three on the "A" pillar seems weird), plus a 'genuine' Oil Pressure gauge.

So - after talking to Dave, we were roaming around the web, each on our separate computers. Dave directed me to Dakota Digital gauges (www.dakotadigital.com) where we found a 2 1/16" digital boost gauge (that can have the backlighting turned off when I don't want to look at it), which seems perfect for the A Pillar, especially if they mount it low on the pillar.

Then we started poking around the AutoMeter gauges on the site at www.egauges.com (which, in my opinion, is a lot easier to navigate than www.autometer.com). Over there we found both a genuine oil pressure and oil temperature gauge that match the ones in the center pod. This led us to wonder whether the cigar lighter could be removed and relocated to under the lower edge of the dash (like Tauruses have for an extra power point), and once the hardware for the cigar lighter is removed from the hole, having the third gauge stuck in there.

Does anyone have experience with that sort of modification (or has anyone even looked into that space to see what room there is?)?

One thing I found that I thought would be of interest to the group was that Autometer is making one- and two-gauge A-pillar pods for the Marauder. Curiously, they are listed in the "Truck" section (proving once again how unclear FMC's marketing message on the MM is), but they are unique part numbers (in other words - they same part number is not used for another application), so it appears to be a precise fit for the car.

Anyway - more information for the communal database.

See you folks in Chicago this Sunday - at least for a little while.

Mark

LincMercLover
03-07-2003, 09:36 AM
From what I've heard, the gauges appear to look the same, but the lighting is different.

As far as the extra gauge, yes it can be done. Ask Logan, he put a tranny temp gauge in there.

WolfeBros
03-07-2003, 10:19 AM
Do a search here on gauges......you will get the correct autometer part numbers and see how Logan put a tranny gauge in where the lighter was as well.

Diocles
03-07-2003, 11:08 AM
I'm not familiar enough with the engine to be of much help on a MM installation, but be aware of how you anticipate to use the gauges. Having some fairly extensive road racing experience I can tell you it is a rare occurance if my eyes dip below the top of the dash. If you are planning on running hard under stressful situations (i.e.- a race) then I would strongly suggest placement at eye/windshield level. If you simply want to monitor what's going on inside the hood I think the stock location is sweet.

UncleLar
03-07-2003, 06:31 PM
Mark,I'm also a member of Thunderbird Cougar Club of America, www.tccoa.com and I've seen threads there on changing the factory Ford "phoney"oil pressure gauges into real funtioning units. There wasn't much more involved in changing the sender and adding a resistor or diode to the back of the gauge. You can try doing a search there on oil pressure gauges and see for yourself. I'm not sure how it'd work with the MM's Autometer gauge though. Hope this helps.

cyled
03-08-2003, 07:23 AM
Myself and others have emailed Autometer, it requires both the guage and sender to be repalced. Autometer made the guage internals to Ford's specs. 50 bucks get's you what you need.

Just as suggested search on guages and you will find your answers.

BODYMAN
03-08-2003, 11:10 AM
Mark, Dave Frey got the idea of replacing the gigarette lighter with another gauge from ME that is what Iam doing w/ mine when I get it back from KB. He is installing the boost guage were the dummy oil pressure guage is and a buddy of mine is making a guage pod as we speak out of a brand new MM guage pod so I can have 3-guages down there. boost, oil pressure and I'am replacing the voltmeter w/ a trans temp guage. I had explained to Dave before I dropped mine off that is what I'am doing. He must of thought it was a good Idea to tell you. I can send you a pic of mine once it is done. I just feel the pillar guage is kinda of hoggy for such a nice vehicle. I will have nothing on my pillar. Oil temp guage would be nice but I just havent figured out were I will mount it just yet. Hope this helps.

Todd

CRUZTAKER
03-08-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by 93tealcobra
......when I get it back from KB.

...........I can send you a pic of mine once it is done.......
Todd

Please post pics when you are done. -Of your car in general too.

IS IT SOUP YET?
Your KB MM should be done soon yeah? :banana:

BODYMAN
03-08-2003, 02:14 PM
Cruz, I cant wait todays weather in St louis is 65 and sunny it is making the wait even harder. When I get it back I will post some pics for sure in the photo gallery. I will also have some track results as the track here will be opening pretty soon!!! but not soon enough.

Todd

martyo
03-08-2003, 04:41 PM
Todd: Is your friend interested in making more than one one of the gage clusters? PM me with the details if he is.

M&Ms4Rob
03-10-2003, 08:03 PM
I've seen threads there on changing the factory Ford "phoney"oil pressure gauges into real funtioning units.

So, what's wrong with the factory Autometer gauges ???

CRUZTAKER
03-10-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by M&Ms4Rob
So, what's wrong with the factory Autometer gauges ???

Bummer....but oil p/guage is a fake.

M&M:

Start here, it,s a big one tho......read on.

Oil pressure thread (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1540)

ANY OTHER LINKS GUYS?