PDA

View Full Version : Wheel stud problem

Gagfish
06-24-2005, 10:20 AM
OK, I had a problem on the way to work and wanted to know if anyone else experienced this. All the studs on the rear passenger tire snapped and the wheel fell off. I tend to drive the car hard but not this AM. Luckily it happened when I was starting from a stop sign, so I was going like 5mph, felt it and stopped. There was no damage to the wheel nor any other reason I could find why this would happen. Any ideas? And to make a bad situation worse the dealer says my warrantee is void because I have nitrous. Note the nitrous has not completely been installed yet so it is not functional.

twolow
06-24-2005, 10:31 AM
Oh man, all five bolts just broke off leaving your rotor on the ground? You said you felt it and stopped....seemed like it would have been you heard a crashing sound and the car stopped itself :eek:

RF Overlord
06-24-2005, 10:36 AM
All the studs on the rear passenger tire snapped and the wheel fell off. Any ideas? It sounds like someone removed your wheel at some point and didn't properly torque the lug nuts (95 ft-lbs) when they re-installed it. Too tight can be almost as bad as too loose...

merc
06-24-2005, 10:52 AM
I had a problem with my rear wheel stud bolts a month ago. I replaced the rear rotors and the Ford mechanic broke 2 of 5 stud bolts while torquing down to 95 pounds. He informed me that someone removed and mounted my tires over tightened the nuts. Sounded good to me until I read this post. :fire: Do you have a 300A model Marauder ?

Gagfish
06-24-2005, 10:57 AM
It is a 300A. I put the wheels on with the Gorilla wheel lock system and torques them to 95 lb-ft. That was a year ago and wheels have not been off since.

Luckily the rotor fell onto the rim, so the wheel was still in the well and held the car up. It happened at like 5mph so it's the best way it could have happened if it was gonna happen.

Maybe the prior owner torques them bad in the past and it didn't happen til a year later?

Gagfish
06-24-2005, 10:58 AM
Oh, and does anyone have any advice on how to get Ford to pay for this? Warrantee is good til August but they said the nitrous voids it, even without it being fully installed.

Breadfan
06-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Try telling them the nitrous isn't even installed and never used and THE WHEEL FELL OFF which is a serious safety hazard.

Tell them they should be happy to pay for the repair becuase had it fallen off at 80mph they would've been paying alot more after being sued when you die from the wheel falling off.

Lug bolts should be able to handle being overtightened and not have complete failure of ALL FIVE like that. Maybe one or two, and maybe when launching at the dragstrip, but not all 5 at 5mph.

hitchhiker
06-24-2005, 11:34 AM
It is a 300A. I put the wheels on with the Gorilla wheel lock system and torques them to 95 lb-ft. That was a year ago and wheels have not been off since.

Luckily the rotor fell onto the rim, so the wheel was still in the well and held the car up. It happened at like 5mph so it's the best way it could have happened if it was gonna happen.

Maybe the prior owner torques them bad in the past and it didn't happen til a year later?
I had an early 70's GTO that had the driver's front corner drop to the road when
a Ball Joint broke.

I was also lucky to be going slow at the time!

Glad the you're OK!

:D

JimmyXR7
06-24-2005, 11:54 AM
[QUOTE=Gagfish]All the studs on the rear passenger tire snapped and the wheel fell off. I tend to drive the car hard but not this AM.

How many miles did you have on your MM when the wheel fell off?
How much horsepower does your engine put out?
Is it only 302 HP?
I also have a 2002 production MM.
thank you
Jim

Gagfish
06-24-2005, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I told them that the nitrous was not hooked up and they said it didn;t matter. Then I asked about the Saleen they have in the show room that comes with nitrous? They said it the bottle is filled it voids the warrantee. I'll have to fight them with the whole safety thing because it could have been a whole lot worse. And the nitrous had nothing to do with it.

The car has 26,000 miles on it.

MENINBLK
06-24-2005, 12:41 PM
Yeah, I told them that the nitrous was not hooked up and they said it didn;t matter. Then I asked about the Saleen they have in the show room that comes with nitrous? They said it the bottle is filled it voids the warrantee. I'll have to fight them with the whole safety thing because it could have been a whole lot worse. And the nitrous had nothing to do with it.

The car has 26,000 miles on it.

Has anyone else serviced your vehicle?

CRUZTAKER
06-24-2005, 12:45 PM
Wow....:confused:

Never heard of such a failure.

They'll have to prove the non-working N20 caused the failure. I doubt they can however.

That dealer sounds like a bad dealer. Had they given you that impression earlier, perhaps you shpuld have sought out another dealer.

Fortunately, you say you have no further damage. Buy some studs and fix it yourself. Never return to that dealer.

ParkRanger
06-24-2005, 12:51 PM
OK, I had a problem on the way to work and wanted to know if anyone else experienced this. All the studs on the rear passenger tire snapped and the wheel fell off. I tend to drive the car hard but not this AM. Luckily it happened when I was starting from a stop sign, so I was going like 5mph, felt it and stopped. There was no damage to the wheel nor any other reason I could find why this would happen. Any ideas? And to make a bad situation worse the dealer says my warrantee is void because I have nitrous. Note the nitrous has not completely been installed yet so it is not functional.

Also noticed this problem last month when replacing tires. The rear wheels were very difficult to remount. Had to rasp file both inside the wheel and the stud it mounts on to get a proper fit. Prior to that I tried to mount and tighten lugs but it just didn't feel or look right. Then rasped filed and it took care of problem. The last time someone mounted your rear wheel they didn't properly mount it!

PR :burnout:

Gagfish
06-24-2005, 01:02 PM
I can see the dealer's point that it would seem to be the obvious cause. But it is not. I an concerned that this may be a safety issue. Car has never been serviced other than by me for routine stuff, like oil. The dealer called a little while ago. The car is done. $237 to replace the studs. Luckily no other damage was done. And at least me and the car are OK. Thanks guys for your help and concern. Hopefully this does not happen to anyone else.

MENINBLK
06-24-2005, 02:56 PM
I can see the dealer's point that it would seem to be the obvious cause. But it is not. I an concerned that this may be a safety issue. Car has never been serviced other than by me for routine stuff, like oil. The dealer called a little while ago. The car is done. $237 to replace the studs. Luckily no other damage was done. And at least me and the car are OK. Thanks guys for your help and concern. Hopefully this does not happen to anyone else.

The only safety issue that would concern me is if the wheel studs for the Marauder
are the same studs fo the CV/GM.
The Marauder's wheels are 18". while the CV/GM are 16".
The MARAUDER should have STRONGER studs all around.

RoyLPita
06-24-2005, 05:47 PM

Is this price for the axle shaft? If all 5 studs broke, I would replace the axle shaft for safe measure. Who knows, maybe the shafts are pitted and you'll end up with 2 new ones.

SergntMac
06-24-2005, 06:30 PM
I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging, but I have to toss my .02c in here, I can't resist.

I own the Kenny Brown #1x Marauder S. This is the first supercharged Marauder ever, and it's endured beatings y'all cannot imagine. Skid pad, road course, drag strip, and...Me, the original road pig. 478 RWHP, 434RWTQ, twenty some drag strip launches this season alone, 285/45 rear street tires. If anyone is testing stud/lug nut endurance, or, pushing limits, it's me.

I watch things like studs and lug nuts for wear factors and I have changed whole sets because one just didn't feel right anymore. I use an air gun to snug them up, but always hand torque in place. I've also changed out the OEM two piece lug nuts for more solid and durable one piece units, and I do this because I have ripped out studs before, in other cars. All that said, I have never seen anything like this, not even close.

The Marauder is very durable in this department, both front and rear, and my constant attention just leaves me feeling like I'm wasting my time. My only advice here, is in response to the comment about the wheels getting stuck on. Yes, that can happen when you do not remove your tires for a long period, it has something to do with two metals chemically "welding" themselves together, but I can't explain it better. While a normal tire rotation would inhibit this, we don't rotate our tires, so, I suggest that every six months or so, y'all loosen your lug nuts, wiggle the tire a bit, and re-torque to specs. Can't hurt, eh?

Now...Do you know what the odds are for snapping all five lugs off at one time under the conditions you describe?

Astronomical. I'll hit the Lottery before this happens again, and I don't play the Lottery!

OTOH, the odds are five to one that someone was trying to steal your tires. Better check the rest of your lugs too?

BTW, before you think that wheels locks will stop theives, all they really do is pizzoff your mechanic when you forget to include the special wrench.

It's an old trick to weld a 13/16s socket to a four or five foot length of water pipe, and snap them off. Back in the '80s, I worked Autos, and setup a few decoy cars for wheel thieves. I've watched teams of thieves clean a decoy car of it's wheels in 30 seconds, only takes six. Two rock the car side to side, while one at each wheel pulls when the weight is lifted. One time they hit a decoy on it's way to the target area stopped at a stoplight, with the decoy officer behind the wheel. Can be done, yep, yep.

RoyLPita
06-30-2005, 10:42 AM
Any progress with this dilemma????

Gagfish
06-30-2005, 10:55 AM
I paid the $200 and bailed the car out. I haven't done anything yet to recoup my money from Ford. The whole situation seems odd. Like mentioned here, I know they were not overtightened so it must have been someone trying to steal them. But if you can get past the lock isn't it just as easy to unscrew the lugs instead of tightening them?