PDA

View Full Version : Can you steam clean the exterior?

Bowman9
06-24-2005, 03:59 PM
I have been running my car through the "touchless" car washes but it still has that nasty film of dirt on it.
I live in a townhouse with no shade to wash my "black" marauder under, and we all know what happens when you try and wash a dark car in direct sunlight.
I was wondering if I could use a steam cleaner, like those advertised on QVC and the Home shopping network, they only use steam no chemicals.
http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?nest=%2Fasp%2FIsI temNumberRedirect.asp&search=SQ&frames=y&referrer=QVC&txtDesc=steam&SearchClass=&Submit4=Go
I was thinking I could steam a section then wipe it down and move on from there.
Has anyone tried this? Will it hurt my paint?

Just an idea.

jgc61sr2002
06-24-2005, 04:38 PM
I wouldn't use steam on the exterior. Try claybar to clean the exterior and then a good wax. I use Zaino products with excellent results. :D

ncmm
06-24-2005, 04:43 PM
I wouldn't use steam on the exterior. Try claybar to clean the exterior and then a good wax. I use Zaino products with excellent results. :D
:2thumbs: jgc61sr2002 has some good advice there but be sure you wash the dirt off the car first before claying. . .and most importantly read the directions!

sailsmen
06-24-2005, 05:18 PM
After the touchless car wash use a detail spray and do small sections at a time. Try early morning or late afternoon.

Mid day and the detail spray may dry before you can wipe it off.

fastblackmerc
06-24-2005, 05:20 PM
After the touchless car wash use a detail spray and do small sections at a time. Try early morning or late afternoon.

Mid day and the detail spray may dry before you can wipe it off.
I use my Mr. Clean wash system in the direct sunight. No problems with streaking or water spots.

Shaft333
06-24-2005, 05:44 PM
Find one of those coin-op car wash places.
Often they are open 24hrs or at night and lighted. This affords you the chance to use it when it's not crowded so you can take your time.
Or you can use them when it is crowded and just shrug off anyone that feels you're taking too long.
Bring a bucket and towels. Wash, dry and wax your car in the bay. If you time everything right, you can wash your car for a couple of bucks.

I'm in a condo, with a one car garage that I can't fit my car in. My drive runs East-West with the building on the West side. The elevation doesn't cast a shadow on my drive till shortly before sundown. I don't have a coin-op wash that I'm fond of frequenting. So I use a Mr. Clean Machine as well. It's great, and since I don't have to dry the car with towels, it keeps contact with the paint to a minimum. And any contact that occurs is wet. I have been trying to stick to hours when it's overcast or when the shadow is on the drive. Doesn't always work out in my favor. Especially, for me, the AM is the best time to wash the car. Gives you a day to drive and enjoy the shine.

hitchhiker
06-24-2005, 06:49 PM
I use my Mr. Clean wash system in the direct sunight. No problems with streaking or water spots.
And no wax and very little clearcoat left either.

That stuff is very bad for your car's finish.

:D

Shaft333
06-24-2005, 06:55 PM

That's news. Tell us more... or does the smiley mean you're kidding?

LordVader
06-24-2005, 09:59 PM
:coolman: SgtMAC had some good advice in one of threads about rinsing with vinegar. That seems to give a nice clean sheen and dries without any spots.

DEFYANT
06-24-2005, 10:47 PM

Please dont leave us hangin here. If you have info on this stuff, pass it on cuz alot of us use this. :confused:

SergntMac
06-25-2005, 04:28 AM
I too live in a condo with a garage that has an eastern exposure. Bright (and hot) sunlight 75 percent of the day. I wash the MM often, almost daily this time of year. I can't always wait for the sun to set, and this is where the "vinegar rinse" pays off.

The streaks and spots you get are the remnants of the soap you use. You may be rinsing away the suds, but you won't rinse away a soap residue. Even after you wash your hands and rinse, don't you feel a residue left behind? This is why I rinse with a veingar solution, it's cuts the residue away and leaves a truely clean surface.

Save your "Mr. Clean" money and try a bottle of vinegar. Keep the car wet until you "wash it down" one more time. It only takes a few minutes and rinse again, then dry spot free. No harm to the clearcoat, and whether it cuts through your wax or not, depends on the quality of the wax used. IMHO, if the vinegar solution does cut through your wax, it's not much of a wax to begin with, and you should rethink that.

BTW, if you just want to freshen up your last wash and there isn't a lot of road grime to address, you can mix a solution for a "dry mop" of the car and touch it up in under 20 minutes. It's even better on the wheels and Meg's tips.

fastblackmerc
06-25-2005, 06:57 AM

Do you really think they'd sell something that is "very bad for your car's finish"? I think not. Anyway here's a link if you want ot know more: http://www.homemadesimple.com/mrcleanautodry/faq.shtml

twolow
06-25-2005, 07:34 AM
I have tried the Mister Clean and I have tried doing the normal wash job in the driveway in the sun in Georgia heat and I agree that it just doesn't work. I end up with spots and stuff no matter how fast I try to scrub and rinse.

I have started doing this and works perfect:

I get up at 7 or 8 each Sunday morning and head to the local car wash (the ones with stalls and a roof to provide shade). I have found that it isn't crowded and the guys that ARE there take their time and care about their rides as I do. Different breed of car owner than what show up later in the day.

I pop some money in, spray the rims hard then spray the car then flip it to soap and spend the rest of whats left on the timer making it super soaky using the sprayer - NEVER use the soapy brush.

Once it is soapy I grab my cotton mit and start scrubbing. After its scrubbed I pop some more money in and rinse, then mist rinse.

Finally I grab my shammy and dry it off. I hate using chemicals on the wheels and usually just wipe them down after everything else is done along with the tips.

Been doing this a few weeks now and it becomes easier each week...becoming a ritual I guess.

All this does work better if you have a second helper so you can start scrubbing as they continue spraying the soap everywhere.

If the car gets dirty through the week I use the touchless at the same place.

hitchhiker
06-25-2005, 08:09 AM
That's news. Tell us more... or does the smiley mean you're kidding?
There was a thread about this about a year ago.

Regards,

David

twolow
06-25-2005, 08:32 AM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9986&highlight=clean+car+wash

Thread on mister clean

FordNut
07-03-2005, 08:06 PM
I cleaned mine today with my pressure washer. 1200 psi, 190 degrees. Didn't hurt anything but pretty much strips all the wax off of it. I reckon I know what I'll be doing tomorrow...